U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:32 PM

4,557 posts, read 12,073,043 times

Advertisements

SkiChick, I'm so sorry to hear that you had to make this tough decision, and on her birthday no less... It's one thing when they've lived a long life, but to be so young and have things go downhill so rapidly, it's just tough It sounds like she was at peace with it tho

When you are ready and able, I invite you to visit my Jazzmin's page and read "Living Love". Bring tissues. It's a tough read, but I found it very much healing as well. And while it might not seem possible, "the 4th day" will arrive, I promise you...

Now and Forever, These Pages are Dedicated to.....
(mods, this is not a commercial site...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 09:10 PM

180 posts, read 896,878 times
Valerie, I just went to the site. That is truly beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it here.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:17 PM

223 posts, read 902,395 times
Default Another of my pups to the vet

For all of you who posted on my previous puppy, I thank all of you for your kindness. It's been 2-1/2 weeks since putting Rozzi down. I have another puppy who has now come down with the same symptoms, my Siberian Husky, Glade.

Glade is now sick and is being flushed with fluids at the vets office overnight and is on medication. He just turned 3 last week so once again, a young one that should have many years left in his life. It appears to be the same as Rozzi, but because of past experience we were able to recognize the symptoms and I called the vet right away. His blood work came back good, so in this case, there is no damage to his kidney's. I'm in tears right now just at the thought that if we had known better, Rozzi would have had a chance to still be with us. Her sacrifice brought continued life to others and she'll always be remembered for those sacrifices that she made. I'll be calling the vet tomorrow morning after 10 AM, I'll keep you all posted as to how Glade is holding up.

You are all so supportive and I thank you. I'm only posting this in hopes that if any of you have puppies that seem to have the same symptoms, you will be able to recognize it as a need to call the vet and take care of it before it becomes a problem.

Symptoms: Slowly not as interested in food, diarrhea, dehydration (panting and drinking lots of water) because of the diarrhea. Just the basic ... not so feeling good attitude. I'm sure there is more that could have been seen to a vet, but not to me. These were the main things that made me say ... Call the vet!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:27 PM

12,386 posts, read 31,337,219 times
I am beginning to really wonder if this IS lepto!! How did the second [new] dog contact it? Did you bleach your house between dogs?? Clean the yard good & treat the area??

Old 03-01-2008, 02:02 PM

223 posts, read 902,395 times
Thank you for the suggestions Katie. I just recently did all that, but maybe too late. Glade came home just recently and is on a special diet food for the next few days along with some medication. Thankfully, we acted right away and we know what to look for if there is anything else that goes hay-wire. Hope this is the last of it.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:01 PM

12,386 posts, read 31,337,219 times
Me too glad shes home!!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:14 PM

702 posts, read 2,242,211 times
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. My dog had lepto - a little malti-poo and made it through after spending one night in animal emergency then several days in hospital. She had a London strain - very odd. It can go very quickly so if you don't catch it right away it can be very bad.

I am so very sorry about your precious baby. There definitely needs to be more education. Even the vets were shocked she had it!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,167 times
Skichick - I am sorry to hear about the loss. We recently received word that our dog has severe kidney failure. At this time we are not sure as to how this came about, she is only 5 1/2 years old. You had posted this some time ago and may not know, but if you know your dogs BUN and Creatinine levels can you share them with me? We are having a very hard time getting info from other vets and just looking for some comparison and additional info. Thank you!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:48 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,916,333 times
There is a Yahoo group called K9KidneyDiet, that is full of information on dealing with kidney disease in dogs. Although it's a lot about diet, they can answer just about anything about kidney disease, and help you learn how to give fluids, what supplements to give, etc. They can also tell you just about anything you need to know about BUN and Creatinine levels.

My dog has kidney problems too and most of what I learned about it, I learned from that group. You can also upload your dog's blood work and urinalysis to be reviewed by the moderators. That group was a huge help to me when my dog was first diagnosed.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:49 PM

1,188 posts, read 4,949,245 times
Our condolences.

From our understanding of the Lepto shot...which we just did research on prior to giving our dogs this year. Is that depending on the manufacture of the shot, depends on what and how many strains are used. Apparently, for quite a while the wrong strain had been used. Our vet told us he uses the Bayer brand b/c it contains 4 different strains of the bacteria. The Lepto shot seems similar to Bordetella in that it all depends on the strain of the virus used whether the shot will be effective...sort of like getting a flu shot for humans. The CDC can specualte on what flu strain(s) will be the one to hit us humans, but as with this year...they were wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs