Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:49 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,742,030 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the Orlando forum but wanted to post this here too:

OK...I have a rant that I need to get off my chest...bear with me.

My neighbor and I went to the SPCA this morning to adopt a dog for me. It's a big step since I'm single but I really want a dog now. The dog I picked out and I clicked and thought everything was great.

We sit down with the adoption counseler and he asks me if the dog would ever be outside in the yard. I told him yes and explained that I have a fenced in back yard and the dog would be safe. I told him the dog would not be outside for hours and hours when I'm at work but maybe when I need to run to the store or something like that.

After going over the application and asking more questions, he looks me in the eye and said he would have to DENY the adoption. I was floored as was my neighbor. When I asked why, he said dogs should never be left outside due to the risk of running away, biting someone, neighbor complaint, etc. He then tells me it's their policy and I said I understood but the dog would be safe with me in my home. But since I had already said the dog would be in the back yard, I couldn't take it back. It's kind of like a job interview when you try so hard to impress them and you end up saying something wrong...and not knowing it. I remained calm, got up and walked out.

Karen (my neighbor) was really upset and said I should go back in there and talk to a supervisor. I didn't want to do that but it really hurts when you find the right dog and they won't let you take them home due to a trick question..and it purely was a trick question. I would have NEVER thought saying the dog would be outside was grounds for denial. AND...I can't go to the other SPCA shelter because they put your driver's license # in the computer. I guess I'm tagged now that I was denied.

I'm trying to keep a calm head by saying maybe it wasn't meant to be but I'm still emotionally upset about it. She was such a sweet dog and I would have loved to have had her.

I hope someone who says all the right things comes and adopts her. She deserves a good home...one that I apparently can't provide...according to them.

So now I am rethinking the pet whole thing. I was so exciting to find a sweet, loving dog and to have her taken away from me is really hard.

Maybe I'll get a dog someday but right now, I'm not going through this again...I can't...you know?

Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 08:23 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,532,193 times
Wow, I would try going back and talking to the supervisor. Another alternative to adopting a pet is going thru Petsmart, I adopted a dog and a cat thru them.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:32 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,370,726 times
I agree - go back and talk to them.

If this was their only contention point, you should be able to work something out.

Do you now agree with their suggestion/requirement? If so, tell them that. Tell them that the interviewer made a good point and now that you've had a bit of time to think about it, you support it and you assure them the dog will be inside when you are not home.

I understand what your train of thought was about the dog in the backyard, but I'm one of those people that doesn't let my dog outside when I'm not home.

For one, I want them guarding the house and they need to be inside to do that properly. Secondly, it only takes a moment for something awful to happen - people do steal dogs, other animals (dogs even) can get into your backyard...so many things can happen.

I hope it works out......please let us know!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,366,453 times
Its purely a power trip IMHO. I hear it time after time after time about shelters like that. Sure, they have to look after the best interest of the dog but there has to be limits. Being outside isnt bad for the dog. And they wonder why back yard breeders are so popular ?

Old 02-11-2008, 04:34 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,706,751 times
I would recommend looking into a rescue. I wouldn't recommend telling a lie or misrepresenting one's self. The rescues in Orange Park, FL that I spoke to required a fenced yard (The ones at Pet Co/Pet smart). That counted me out.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:33 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,983,283 times
Ugh, getting an animal through some of these shelters is worse than trying to get a bank loan.

I feel your pain.

My first experience with the SPCA was when I was in New Orleans and found a small kitten who had crawled into the engine block of my car. I called the SPCA, told them the situation, and told them that I needed assistance getting the little guy out. They told me that, if they did it, they would have to take him into their facility. Fine. I asked them about my being able to adopt him afterwards. Not only did they tell me that they couldn't guarantee that I'd be able to have him back, they couldn't even guarantee that I'd be at the top of the list. Needless to say, I said "thanks" and went onto Plan B....a live trap and a can of tuna. 8 years later, my little guy is nestled in beside me now on the couch.

ESPECIALLY in cases like "animal placement", I would expect that there would be more human thought put into it. But, honestly, it seems to me that in a lot of places, there are RULES, and no real thought gets put into them.

I'd speak to a supervisor there, if I were you. I have a feeling you won't get too much satisfaction, but at least you'll have tried.

LOL, I just thought about an issue that I've heard about a HUGE shelter back east. They're notorious for being hard-line in their rules anyway, but this one took the cake for me. A friend of mine went there to get a cat. Came up that he doesn't put the toilet cover down when its not in use. *BUZZZZZZZ* Oh, the cat could fall in and drown, don't you know? No kitty for him!

After I heard this, and laughed that if a cat actually *did* this, it would be Darwinism at work, I suggested to him to check other places. Sure enough, he got a kitty that he adores, and adores him (and, no, after all these years with the toilet being accessible hasn't drowned).

If you don't get satisfaction there, keep checking. And, do yourself a favor, and check the "rules" before looking. (I understand the emotions here)

Old 02-11-2008, 09:38 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,370,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Its purely a power trip IMHO. I hear it time after time after time about shelters like that. Sure, they have to look after the best interest of the dog but there has to be limits. Being outside isnt bad for the dog. And they wonder why back yard breeders are so popular ?
It happens .

Many years ago, I was told I could not adopt a cat from the Humane Society. I was all ready to adopt this beautiful cat (an adult cat, no less!) and the woman told me that the cat would have spent too many hours home alone.

I worked from 10am to 6pm 5 days a week and my commute was 15 minutes each way.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:35 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,368,804 times
I have only filled out an application once at a rescue, and was not turned down even though I did not have a fenced yard at the time and would be leaving the dog alone (with another dog) for up to 10 hours every day. I wasn't even asked such questions. I told them that I wanted a puppy to help keep my older dog (10 years old at the time) in better physical shape and to keep her company when I was away at work. That was enough.

The rest of my dogs have been rescued from Animal Control. They didn't bother taking an application, as long as I paid their fee, paid for the vaccinations, had the dog spayed/neutered, and got a license. From their point of view, it was one less puppy they had to put down.

There is absolutely no reason the OP should have been turned down, and I would question the motivation of any rescue who refuses to place a pet with any person who cares for the animal. Some of these rescues have volunteers who are fanatics. If you don't spoil the pet every waking moment every day, they consider you an unworthy person. These kind of people are not interested in what is best for the animal, only what suits their warped agenda.

Rescues should provide any new pet owner with a list of items they will need (food, bowl, toys, kennel, etc.), an idea of the cost of maintaining the pets health and well-being, and the resources for proper training. New potential pet owners should be given information on what will be expected of them, and the costs involved, so they can make an informed decision. Beyond that, and determining whether the potential owner has the income to properly care for the animal, it is none of their business. They should be grateful the pet is going to a home were it will be cared for and will become part of the family.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:03 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,857,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
I posted this in the Orlando forum but wanted to post this here too:

OK...I have a rant that I need to get off my chest...bear with me.

My neighbor and I went to the SPCA this morning to adopt a dog for me. It's a big step since I'm single but I really want a dog now. The dog I picked out and I clicked and thought everything was great.

We sit down with the adoption counseler and he asks me if the dog would ever be outside in the yard. I told him yes and explained that I have a fenced in back yard and the dog would be safe. I told him the dog would not be outside for hours and hours when I'm at work but maybe when I need to run to the store or something like that.

After going over the application and asking more questions, he looks me in the eye and said he would have to DENY the adoption. I was floored as was my neighbor. When I asked why, he said dogs should never be left outside due to the risk of running away, biting someone, neighbor complaint, etc. He then tells me it's their policy and I said I understood but the dog would be safe with me in my home. But since I had already said the dog would be in the back yard, I couldn't take it back. It's kind of like a job interview when you try so hard to impress them and you end up saying something wrong...and not knowing it. I remained calm, got up and walked out.

Karen (my neighbor) was really upset and said I should go back in there and talk to a supervisor. I didn't want to do that but it really hurts when you find the right dog and they won't let you take them home due to a trick question..and it purely was a trick question. I would have NEVER thought saying the dog would be outside was grounds for denial. AND...I can't go to the other SPCA shelter because they put your driver's license # in the computer. I guess I'm tagged now that I was denied.

I'm trying to keep a calm head by saying maybe it wasn't meant to be but I'm still emotionally upset about it. She was such a sweet dog and I would have loved to have had her.

I hope someone who says all the right things comes and adopts her. She deserves a good home...one that I apparently can't provide...according to them.

So now I am rethinking the pet whole thing. I was so exciting to find a sweet, loving dog and to have her taken away from me is really hard.

Maybe I'll get a dog someday but right now, I'm not going through this again...I can't...you know?

Thanks for listening.
Get a friend to get the dog for you and you pay all the costs. As many animals that need good homes and you wind up dealing with an absolute moron. Good grief!

Old 02-14-2008, 10:03 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,151,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
Get a friend to get the dog for you and you pay all the costs. As many animals that need good homes and you wind up dealing with an absolute moron. Good grief!
YES! Great idea. I'd get it for you if I lived closer.

That is just ridiculous. There is a dif between having an "outside dog" and letting a dog in the backyard when you go to the store. I agree, sounds like a power trip on the part of the person interviewing you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs