Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 05:22 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,980,464 times

Advertisements

This artificial separation of pet food and people food always leaves me shaking my head. Is it clever marketing by pet food companies or is it our cultural distance from the food chain or ? that creates this distinction between people and pet food?

My Beef With "People Food" - Pet Food Diva
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 07:01 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,245,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
This artificial separation of pet food and people food always leaves me shaking my head. Is it clever marketing by pet food companies or is it our cultural distance from the food chain or ? that creates this distinction between people and pet food?

My Beef With "People Food" - Pet Food Diva
I think this myth developed from people being advised not to allow their dogs to beg for food from the dinner table where people are eating. The concept had a behavioral root and then took on a life of it's own to mean something completely different. That's my take FWIW.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:06 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times
Yeah, but most people don't eat fresh healthy foods. So her argument is moot. In fact, she that at the end of the article.

Then there are the ingredients that we enjoyed our food that is fresh and healthy that can be toxic to dogs.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, but most people don't eat fresh healthy foods. So her argument is moot. In fact, she that at the end of the article.

No, that isn't her point

Then there are the ingredients that we enjoyed our food that is fresh and healthy that can be toxic to dogs.Again, that isn't her point- of course some people food is toxic, e.g. grapes, but she is talking about how pet owners separate common food eaten by people and pets out into mutually exclusive "pet" food from "people" food
I don't think you read all the way to the end of the article:

"So, the next time someone tells you not to feed your dog or cat “people food”, tell them that the last time you checked, the following “people foods” were commonly consumed by animals in nature:

Muscle meat from free-range animals raised without hormones or antibiotics
Organ meats from these same animals
Fresh berries and vegetative matter commonly devoured as part of a prey’s stomach contents
Fresh eggs
And, while you’re at it, you might want to inform these “anti-people food” people that fresh, wholesome, unadulterated animal and plant ingredients were the original “pet food” – not the highly processed stuff that comes out of a bag or can.

Come to think of it, maybe people would be a lot healthier if we started ditching our own bags and cans of processed, nutrient-deficient “people food” and started eating natural “pet food” instead!"

Old 03-07-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
I think this myth developed from people being advised not to allow their dogs to beg for food from the dinner table where people are eating. The concept had a behavioral root and then took on a life of it's own to mean something completely different. That's my take FWIW.
Yes, that along with heavy marketing campaigns with the beginning of household television in the 50's when people were starting to keep indoor dogs- maybe. Whatever the beginning, thank goodness we are questioning this mindset now.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:33 AM

32,565 posts, read 47,729,085 times
I'm trying to remember the last time anyone told me to not feed my dog "people food". I can't remember anyone ever doing that.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:37 AM

2,328 posts, read 1,979,215 times
Quote:
. . .our cultural distance from the food chain or . . .
Quote:
Yes, that along with heavy marketing campaigns with the beginning of household television in the 50's when people were starting to keep indoor dogs- maybe. Whatever the beginning, thank goodness we are questioning this mindset now.
Yup. Concur.

I do remember when it was Alpo and Purina, and not a whole lot else. We grew up pretty much divorced from the food chain. Some families hunted and fished, but not many had regular meat from that. And, hunting was becoming "low class". And, I'm pretty sure that, back in the 50's and 60's, commercial dog food, both kibble and canned, was cheaper than regular grocery products. Anybody know how to research dog food prices vs meat prices in 1965?

The 70's and 80's saw Hill's and Iams for the health-conscious set, and lots of grocery store higher price stuff, especially for cats. But the commercial dog food pattern was set by then. And "people" food included all that unhealthy stuff like chocolate, sugar, and fat. Remember, back then, coming out of the 50's, common nutritional knowledge looked on fat as a bad thing. Breeders and sports dog enthusiasts knew otherwise, but they were fewer in number, and we didn't have the internet for exposure back then. Sheesh, for people, I only think this has just started to change in the last few years!

Today, unless I buy a cheap commercial feed, I can feed more cheaply by buying the cheapest meats I can find (chicken and liver), and adding in a little stuff with a slightly higher price tag (beef bones) for variety. And cheap commercial feeds are typically mostly corn and the like. And I know that, for me, cost was one of the first things that drove me to look at what has turned out to be a healthier diet - and more natural.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:38 AM

49 posts, read 74,107 times
Food is Food ... there is no such thing as people food. It was a brainwashing campaign for dog food companies to sell their kibble.
Also vets were paid by dog food companies to tell pet owners that it was bad to feed their dogs table scraps. check out this link Terrierman's Daily Dose: A Brief History of Dog Food

Old 03-07-2016, 11:38 AM

17,320 posts, read 11,192,172 times
Does anyone realize dogs ate pretty much only people food up until the 1950s? Dog food didn't even exist until the mid 1900s and somehow dogs managed to survive and even prosper eating people food consisting of leftovers and low grade food. That doesn't mean you dog shouldn't have a good diet, but think about it.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:59 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times
Our dogs get fed "people food" in moderation, they do have an odd appetite for different things. One dog won't go near potato chips but will happily chew on some raw celery or carrots. Not that I'm feeding them chips regularly but one here and there. I don't even eat chips myself regularly.

The dry dog food is always available to them, all our dogs have been fed like that from a pup. They don;t have that mentality of wanting to eat the whole dish, they eat it when they are hungry taking a few bits here and there throughout the day. My relatives dog on the other hand who is on scheduled feeding will eat the whole damn dish if it's down, it's the equivalent of two days food for the two them.

We live in area they can run so they get a lot of exercise every day. The black and white one you can actually see the muscle definition with the right angle. All our dogs have lived long and healthy lives being fed like this.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs