Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 12:54 AM

569 posts, read 552,313 times

Advertisements

Rott is not everybody's dog. Rott is not a toy dog.

Rott is sensitive and virtually independent. It would only only recognize one owner. And it might tests your intergredy occuationally. An owner would either win its respect by the strength or the love. The latter option was who rose the Rott from puppy and constantly accompanied it. If you were a step owner, the very great portion of attentions shall apply to it.

All in all, Rott is not a real pet. It loves to be your sibling. Be nice to it while it is a pup. It knows the differences from the love.

Consider now you own a puppy lion-tiger tiger-lion. Let it recognizes you through love while the time last.

Why you bought a Rottw.... you have small children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 07:57 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
Okay thank you all for the advice. Oregon I always like your comments. But I have to address a few points. Number one Please do not get the impression that I allow my children or pup to run around house wildly. None of them do. My puppy is either on a leash attatched to me, or in his crate if not on leash it's when I have him in my room with me supervising. The kids letting him out only happened a couple times. The kids are not out of control, they are good kids. They just don't always listen to me the first time sometimes, as I say they do always listen to my boyfriend their dad, and he is trying to help me be more firm and consistent with them, instead of giving in or feeling bad when I discipline them. But it's totally different for the pup He obeys me I am teaching him everyday, and he is doing great. I'm trying to find a training class my kids and I can do together so we all are on same page an learn everything correctly. My puppy normally is pretty calm unless we're playing with him. My boyfriend and I take turns walking him, etc. I don't have kids feed the dog beca
It's impossible to give you advise when you contradict yourself. Nothing is really adding up. Especially the boyfriend dynamic.

You say there's no wild stuff going on. LOL we know dogs. They are not NIPPING for no reason. It's called being mouthy, a behavior they MUST DO when LEARNING rules, boundaries and limitations.

I know you're not an experienced dog owner so I'm not trying to make you "feel" badly but your puppy would NEVER IN A MILLION years do that to me. Wouldn't even OCCUR to him. Because of my calm assertive energy.

But your boyfriend is actually FORCING the dog to be that way.

OUTRAGEOUS.

You said (one example):

I could see the problem while my daughter is petting the pup and being ok my son is hyperly running around room goofing off and it does get pup excited and he nips or whatever.

You also said your boyfriend and children are willful and refuse to do anything you request.

You also admitted they locked the dog out of their rooms after releasing him from his crate and he ACTUALLY HAD TO GO IN HIS OTHER CRATE TO ESCAPE THEM.

You also talked about the "red eye" situation which is a MAJOR concern. Then the poor puppy being fearful. WHAT did THEY do to cause that?

OR were YOU on a crying jag or yelling at the kids or causing some DRAMA when you got home so THE DOG is CONCERNED?

It doesn't happen randomly.

You also said the dog is tethered to you at all times or in his crate but then you said:

he follows me around an if I leave the room he watches until I come back.

THEN:

He is always watching or following me. I am also the number one person to feed, bathe, and play with him and take him outside

But later you said you "walk" him. I bet you don't.

You said:

I am very involved. That is why i keep getting on kids to not let him out of crate without me because I do have them help when I am training the pup.

What do they do to "help" you "train him".

There's really NO "training" necessary - that's simply a way of life. Training means getting a dog to respond to cues. Usually to do "tricks". Sit Stay. Down.

CONSISTENTLY BEING the correct energy is all the "training" necessary but it's hard to convey when the human doesn't understand the concept or buy into the information.

Or when others in the household refuse to cooperate.

You're not effective. Involved is just a word. I'm involved too, right now and don't even know you.

This is about PARENTING not really about the dog at all.

Trust me, as a dog walker I've heard it all. I believe the dogs. They communicate VERY effectively.

You said:

I needed this dog so that I could get through my grief.

So basically the dog is left to fend for himself. Unless the boyfriend is around? Does he LIVE THERE or what?

The dog is STARING AT YOUR for LEADERSHIP. Absent that, HE will become the leader. Don't doubt me.

LOST.

What kind of life is that being used as what? An emotional therapy dog by someone who doesn't know how to even do that.

Sorry but you made choice of introducing chaos into the house instead of actually dealing with the real issues on your plate.

It's actually weird, too, that you seemed to ignore all the practical advise like LOCK on the crate. And GO FOR WALKS to enrich the dogs life, using the children to participate.

I don't think your kids have ANY interest in the dog at all. He's simply another toy when they're in the mood.

Take my warning seriously.

YOU are dangerously making that dog think YOU NEED PROTECTION because of your WEAK ENERGY.

As an adult your dog can rip the lips off other people or put 350 stitches in someone's arm SIMPLY by being startled by someone too close to you.

Bring someone in the house and I bet you a dollar the dog sits between you and the visitor. He probably even does that NOW with the boyfriend. And you don't notice. Wanna bet? WATCH and see.

That's a BAD SIGN.

God forbid the boyfriend is the recipient of such a bite, HE'LL be the first one who'll insist on euthanizing him.

I"ve seen it. I'm giving you a wake up call.

YOU brought a potentially dangerous dog into your house for reasons nobody can really figure out but now YOU have step up to protect the DOG from making life altering errors due to your household being inappropriate.

I'm pretty sure when I say "protect" you'll take it the wrong way and isolate him, making him worse.

Do what Oregon said. HE MUST get used to chaos and all types of people coming and going but YOU HAVE TO FIX YOURSELF FIRST or nothing will succeed.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-20-2016 at 08:16 AM..

Old 03-20-2016, 09:20 PM

325 posts, read 228,789 times
I do take him for walks a few times a day that is when he goes bathroom and goes for walks I live in a duplex so I couldn't just leave him outside. He is not on his own to defend himself that incident happened when I went to store. I am never away from home for long, yes my bf lives here. I have used the advice we did start locking the crate. The kids don't actually help train I just let them be involved with me teaching cues then sometimes I let them try or I supervise their playing with him is what I meant. How do you figure I am making him think I need protection that isn't true, I do take him for walks he has met other neighbors, etc and he is very happy Everything I don't know I am going to learn by going to the puppy obedience training. When I said he watches when I left the room i was talking about at night I let him on my bed for a bit before he goes to crate for night just to hang out after kids are in bed an it is so high up that for now he won't jump down so I do not make him stay on leash then besides that he is on leash on me or in crate which is in my room. I want to do right by him an learn an teach him everything the right way to have a life long companion. But do not judge me or accuse me of not walking him I have put all my sadness into energy so that I can do right by him I love this pup an want the best quality of life for him.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:24 PM

I am always with my pup it is very seldom he isn't with me an only for a short period. I maybe should of researched this breed before i got him but I'm doing it now and am going to go to a professional to learn what I don't know. But don't judge me or accuse me of things like not walking him when I do that a few times a day.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:42 PM

Can someone tell me if what runswithscissors is accurate. Because first of all you don't know what goes on here. I do realize he is going to be big an is a strong dog. But I am doing everything i am supposed to do according to my vet and the rottweiler training book an other materials. But my pup does sit on command lay down on command come when i say his name walks with me without pulling and he doesnt bite or nip me so I am doing my best But I am not leaving him to defend himself or making it where he thinks he needs to protect me.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:54 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
A lot of what Runswithscissors is accurate based on some of what you have said - and you have contradicted yourself. Hopefully that professional training begins very soon. You and the pup need it. You also need to get better control over your children. Consistency is the key to training the dog AND your children. Discipline is not punishment and it needs to be both positive and corrective when necessary.

I am still concerned with the puppy having had red eyes and showing signs of fear. I suspect there was some teasing, spraying the dog with something in order to cause that.

Rotties are incredibly intelligent dogs and with lots of love will be a wonderful family pet - but it is important that all training be gentle even when correcting behavior. Firm, consistent, loving. Stern tone of voice when correcting, but yelling is not a productive means of training.

BTW, that last paragraph applies to children as well as dogs.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Can someone tell me if what runswithscissors is accurate. Because first of all you don't know what goes on here. I do realize he is going to be big an is a strong dog. But I am doing everything i am supposed to do according to my vet and the rottweiler training book an other materials. But my pup does sit on command lay down on command come when i say his name walks with me without pulling and he doesnt bite or nip me so I am doing my best But I am not leaving him to defend himself or making it where he thinks he needs to protect me.
That's fine but he's a baby.

Well of course I don't know all of "what goes on there" but I know enough to read what YOU said. That's all we have to go by. But I have ESP with humans' words regarding pets LOL. Another example is leaving the rooms to follow you everywhere. It's a CLUE. He's concerned. The time he went to the downstairs crate he was WAITING FOR YOU to come HOME. Worried about his PACK.

NOT about himself about YOU. This is different than a partying dog who's just naturally curious about what exciting thing he can figure out to do with you LOL.

If you doubt me, read THIS thread. EVERYONE needs an outside opinion sometimes. Even experts. Cesar Millan used to take his Pit Bull on jobs like a consultant to use to read the energy of the client's dogs when he thought things were a little contradictory. Once he had to watch a VIDEO of two Jack Russells fighting all the time to actually CATCH the little eye movement that caused the fight and which one was the culprit.

Would you allow this behavior or prevent it?

First let me state I'm not trying to demonize Rotties or your dog - who sounds like a well balance puppy.

ALL dogs are fundamentally the same at the highest level - domesticated canine. Body language, behaviors, communication, etc. But there ARE DEFINITE breed traits that can take over past that point. We want to encourage the typical DOG traits and not beef up the BREED traits unless we know what we're getting into. We also want to encourage not so dominant traits in certain breeds like having a Bulldog use their weak pushed in NOSE to find things LOL. (not so possible)

It's not that he's going to be a strong dog. Plenty of big strong dogs are not the type of breed that may have a suspicious or guarding nature. BUT every single breed CAN turn into paranoid unbalanced in certain situations.

Even the very basic descriptions you read online explain it:

Rottweilers: What's Good About 'Em? What's Bad About 'Em?

It's that he's going to make up imaginary reasons to guard you if you are someone he perceives as "his person" and "in need".

Both which are coming off in your posts. Your level of emotion is coming through. Not a good combination with the boyfriend who is REFUSING to do what's best for the dog.

OR YOU.

Another thing that's going to happen is the CONFLICT in your home will make the dog think that YOU need his help. Because the SEPARATE PACK OF 3 (2 kids + boyfriend) are conveying reasons for him to be concerned.

You have TWO PACKS.

DOG + YOU
KIDS + BF

Remember I'm saying this as someone who speaks dog not saying it as a human.

1.) I know a very sweet guy, 6 ft 8 inches tall, who had two Rots who both thought they had to protect him. Of course he didn't understand this at the time and thought they were just ...something else LOL. "Didn't like strangers" or whatever. Ages 4 & 8. Had them from birth. IRONICALLY he got the first one the year his brother died and he was lost without him. I'm not even lying! He was on my Yahoo megaesophagus board.

He's just the beginning of my stories. This particular guy was weak energy and in the middle of drama because the OLDER DOMINANT PACK LEADER Rot had a life ending illness for many many months then died. A couple years before that, HE put 350 stitches in the mother in law's arm which caused a divorce b/c the guy wouldn't give up the dog. The older one kept the "younger one in line". This is VERY BAD. NOBODY should let one dog be the 100% boss of the other in the way this guy let his dog. There will be natural leaders and followers but I'm saying this was allowed to get out of hand.

The younger more unbalanced one bit the lip off of his girlfriend when she leaned over to kiss him on the sofa from behind and the dog was asleep.

THEN he found out the remaining one who bit the girlfriends lip off had thyroid/seizure disorders.

NOT RARE but typically very under-diagnosed with nervous energy dogs. It took me about a YEAR for the guy to rehabilitate the dog. Starting with every single move he made in the house then slowly socializing him and constant vet checks on his thyroid. Eventually he was GOOD because he was out from under the control of the DOMINANT PACK LEADER who died and the weak energy of my friend and his confidence and stability grew.

Of course in any other circumstance both dogs would have been euth'd.

2.) Another girl I know had a neighbor who LOVED her Rot. "Played"all the time. One day she was visiting and ready to leave, walks out the door and the dog took a chunk out of her thigh. The owner had to send the dog through the underground railroad to save him because they lived in an anti-aggressive breed city burb. Of course that was the end of THAT friendship and "LOVE".

3.)Another girl I know - very TOUGH girl - "rescued" a dominant but screwed up Rot and though she could rehab him. Think again. She took him to the gym she owned every day. Everyone had strict orders to ignore him while he was gated in her office. One day he rose up ferociously foaming at the mouth at her when she tried to go in her OWN OFFICE where he had been spending the morning. She didn't know what she was doing or what even happened in her few minute absence to cause that. IRONICALLY she was a friend of the weak energy guy friend of mine above. GREAT! Two people who didn't know what they were doing!

This isn't just a Rottie phenomenon. I've met ALL KINDS of owners who's dogs are unbalanced and potential dangers and those people usually won't take good advice. They are addicted to the dog's dependency IMO. Does this ring a bell?

But a Rot can inflict maximum damage if things go bad.

NOTICE I didn't even MENTION your two little kids who will still be little when your dog is full sized adult. Do you think other parents won't be concerned sending their kids over to your house? They SHOULD!

I credit you with not getting so mad or indignant (even though you're in denial LOL) and getting a trainer. You think you know more than you do, though.

Your entire FAMILY has to be part of it and the "TRAINER" should be a behaviorist type not someone who's going to tell you to use food and stuff to get a certain action.

It's VERY easy to get any dog to sit, stay, paw, walk property etc. Especially a puppy. UNTIL!

What THEY are doing is HUMORING YOU. "Oh they want me to do the paw? Eyeroll, okay." " HA HA now I will kill the mailman!"

It's impossible to control their brain once they get in the RED ZONE in an unfortunate circumstance after years of counterproductive conditioning. I don't even use WORDS. WORDS can cause confusion and excitement.

Try that and see how it FEELS. Relying on your energy not verbalizing.

You guys need to learn to portray consistent leadership and calm so he trusts he's not responsible for his PACK. It's too much for a dog to bear.

I have no idea what to say about the boyfriend who I'm quite sure will undermine everything. But good luck to you. There's a saying sometimes we get the dog we NEED not the dog we think we WANT. But I always hope it's not to the detriment of the dog who's chosen.

P.S IMMEDIATELY start having visitors come to your home, hug you, shake hands, and IGNORE THE DOG COMPLETELY. If he approaches them STILL IGNORE. NO TALKING!!!

Do NOT allow him to greet them at the door. YOU OWN THAT ENTRYWAY NOT HIM! Make an imaginary area in front of the door he's not allowed to pass. Just point away and send him there. WITH ENERGY. CALM matter-of-fact energy. Walk towards him and he SHOULD walk backwards. When he goes on his own, he understands what you want. You can put a broom down or a rug to signify the stopping point and remind yourself. BE CONSISTENT.

NO BOTHERING THE HUMANS OR VICE VERSA.

A SNIFF is not an invitation to be touched if he goes to sniff them. It's an investigation. Tell the visitors to IGNORE the first approach. See what he does.

If he sits between you and the people IT'S BAD.

DO NOT PERMIT THAT. AND DO NOT PET HIM TO REWARD IT.

LATER in the visit if he sits near them and asks for a touch by leaning on them or going under their hand - they can touch his chest. AND LEANING is not permitted. That's dominance.

And get him some giant breed sized Gumabones. When he has energy or excitement give him the bone to chew. It's a redirection. My kid spent the first week of our dog's life on the floor overnight holding the dog's gumabone to chew LOL.

It's the same thing as when they grab a toy when people enter. It's NOT that they want to share the toy - it's a calming mechanism.

Lastly, DO NOT PET HIM OR CONSOLE HIM when YOUR BRAIN decides he's worried or nervous or concerned. That CONFIRMS there's something to "be worried about" and there ISN'T. Be nonchalant about all that stuff.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-21-2016 at 08:43 AM..

Old 03-21-2016, 08:20 AM

Oh snap. Look what popped up. America's sweetheart the YELLOW LAB wants to kill other dogs LOL.

Like I said. ALL breeds are susceptible to imaginary drama.

My Yellow Lab is a bully

Old 03-21-2016, 08:46 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
But I have ESP with humans' words regarding pets LOL.

If you doubt me, read THIS thread. EVERYONE needs an outside opinion sometimes. Even experts. Cesar Millan used to take his Pit Bull on jobs like a consultant to use to read the energy of the client's dogs when he thought things were a little contradictory. Once he had to watch a VIDEO of two Jack Russells fighting all the time to actually CATCH the little eye movement that caused the fight and which one was the culprit.

It's impossible to control their brain once they get in the RED ZONE in an unfortunate circumstance after years of counterproductive conditioning. I don't even use WORDS. WORDS can cause confusion and excitement.

Try that and see how it FEELS. Relying on your energy not verbalizing.
Scissors, Cesar Milan is NOT an expert, not by a long stretch; there are many certified reputable trainers and behaviorists, but he is NOT one of them.

You constantly say that you speak "Dog", but if you are drawing your dog information from Cesar Milan then you are using and applying sub-standard out-dated information that has long since been condemned by countless certified reputable trainers and behaviorists. Please take the time to educate yourself on basic training methods, canine behavior, and body language.

All this talk of "energy" is ambiguous, mis-leading, and reeks of Cesar Milan's archaic training philosophy. Yes, of course too many owners don't understand canine behavior and body language- nobody is arguing with that. But when you give an (in this case, inexperienced) dog owner information, please at least try to give direct clear information that they understand. If you want to use the term "energy" then at least define it so that the OP (and other posters) are clear on precisely what you are saying.

OP: in short, get your kids in line with the house rules for the dog; for their safety and the dog's safety, they should never be alone with the dog. You do not yet have the expertise needed to tell when your dog is uncomfortable or to discern appropriate dog/child interactions. I strongly suggest you read Turid Rugaas' book Calming Signals or better yet watch the DVD. As well, Jean Donaldson's Culture Clash and Patricia McConnell's Other End of the Leash will be VERY helpful and give you valuable insight into dog behavior. Any library should carry them. Other solid reputable resources include Patricia McConnell (also has a blog), Sophia Yin, Ian Dunbar (Dogstardaily dot com), Sue Ailsby, and many others who all are well-educated in canine behavior and have the credentials to prove it.

As to the boyfriend- your dog needs you to be his advocate; if you feel that you can't be your dog's voice against your boyfriend's nonsense, then you need to decide right now whether your dog or your boyfriend is more important. I would suggest that if your boyfriend doesn't listen to you and support how you have decided to train your dog, and in fact actively undercuts your training, then he isn't good boyfriend material.

Do a search on either the APDT or CCPDT websites for a CPDT-KA or CPDT-KSA certified trainer. These certifications don't guarantee that a trainer is good, but because of the certification it means they have at least a certain base of knowledge. Please bear in mind that anybody on this board or elsewhere can give advice and/or call themselves a trainer, but not all information is good information and not all training advice is good advice.

APDT: has a trainer search function, and also has good links on basic training and how to choose a trainer:
https://apdt.com/pet-owners/

CCPDT- trainer search is at the bottom of the page:
http://www.ccpdt.org/dog-owners/

Good luck.

Edited to add links and resources.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 03-21-2016 at 09:27 AM..

Old 03-21-2016, 09:00 AM

231 posts, read 334,692 times
Hi OP. I am also raising a 3 mo old pup so I can definitely relate with the difficulties. I found a lot of help here and I think it's great that you are seeking out advice. As long as you are consistent and not giving up on your dog, I think you will find results as time passes and as you gain more experience. I think it's because you have a large dog and kids, people here are reasonably worried about the outcome. But I think you can manage as long as you are willing to work with your dog.

This tip was already given but I just want to reiterate that it is very important that you get your puppy socialized with other dogs and people at this age. Take the pup to pet stores a lot (when fully vaccinated) and just walk around. Make sure you touch the puppy's food while it is eating and even put your face near the food bowl as degrading as it may be. Also, give the puppy high value treat and try to see how the pup reacts when you take it away. My pup was fine with the hands and face near her food and biscuits but snarled and growled at my dad when he tried to take her bully stick away. I take my puppy to puppy class (not to learn) but to socialize her with other dogs which she really needed. She still won't play with the other pups but now she has finally stopped hiding under a chair so she is definitely making progress. I also just want to wish you good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs