U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:18 AM

14,752 posts, read 28,514,549 times

Advertisements

This is no joke.

We had a female Australian Shepherd, an absolutely phenomenal 35 pound darker blue merle variety. She had 2 litters while young. We then had her spayed.

One time, we were playing with her and stuck out our foot to keep her at a distance as she was jumping toward us. She grabbed the foot, or the back of the ankle, and began humping it, much like a male dog would do during the mating ritual.

I've never asked the question so, needless to say, there was no answer. Have you ever seen or heard of a (sterilized) female dog doing this? Any comments...helpful ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 10:27 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,299,932 times
Lots of females do it. It's a sign of dominance. My female would do it to my male when she was younger. She has a very strong personality. She still does it every once in awhile, I just tell her "no" and she stops.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:43 AM

12,388 posts, read 31,357,488 times
You Trained her to do this Now untrain her!!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:03 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,299,932 times
I didn't read where he said he trained her to do this. What am I missing?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:07 AM

10,425 posts, read 44,561,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This is no joke.

We had a female Australian Shepherd, an absolutely phenomenal 35 pound darker blue merle variety. She had 2 litters while young. We then had her spayed.

One time, we were playing with her and stuck out our foot to keep her at a distance as she was jumping toward us. She grabbed the foot, or the back of the ankle, and began humping it, much like a male dog would do during the mating ritual.

I've never asked the question so, needless to say, there was no answer. Have you ever seen or heard of a (sterilized) female dog doing this? Any comments...helpful ones?
I also have an Australian Shepherd darker blue merle female. She sometimes would hump a leg when she was younger till about 3-4 YO I think. But she always peed like a boy dog and still does. She lifts her leg just like a boy dog does. She will not pee in open, only up against something like a bush, tree, wall etc.

Awesome Aussies !!!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:20 AM

14,752 posts, read 28,514,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
But she always peed like a boy dog and still does. She lifts her leg just like a boy dog does. She will not pee in open, only up against something like a bush, tree, wall etc.
Ours squats...it was just the humping that I found to be weird...

Old 02-11-2008, 12:01 PM

265 posts, read 1,151,960 times
As dogpaw notes, it's a dominance thing, not anything to do with mating. For whatever reason, your girl thinks the hierarchy of your pack is fluid and she's attempting to change it. You'll need to work on ways of ensuring that you're the Alpha/pack leader, and that challenges to such aren't welcome. Of course, using positive training methods...there are a ton of great books out there. One of my favorite is Brian Kilcommons "Good Dog, Great Owner" which is full of interesting anecdotes. (His book, btw, is on training in general, not this particular problem.) Good luck!

PudelPie
P.S. I have a male Aussie--such a sweetie and generally pretty submissive; he likes to challenge one of my two dogs though.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:24 PM

575 posts, read 3,464,674 times
My female humps my male allot and he doesn't seem to mind, and he is clearly the dominant dog.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:16 PM

12,388 posts, read 31,357,488 times
[quote=robertpolyglot;2792079]

Dogspaw.....

This is when the training happened!! Some inocent play!! Like letting a puppy get away with mouthing or nipping...then when they bite as adults everyone wonders why!!

Old 02-12-2008, 04:46 PM

17,850 posts, read 20,177,009 times
dogpaw is right, this is normal canine dominance behavior. Not a trained behavior. Every dog, male or female, will perform this kind of behavior until they understand where they fit into the pack. Submissive dogs will hump more dominant dogs, until the dominant dog puts and end to it. Males and females alike will hump the appendages of humans in order to test their limits. Don't get angry with her, but sternly put a stop to it in order to demonstrate that you are dominant in her pack.

This kind of behavior can occur at any age, with any gender. Typically this behavior occurs when in a new environment with other dogs or people. When people demonstrate that they are the dominant "dog" in the pack, the behavior will usually stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs