Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 03:55 PM

155 posts, read 164,008 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving across country from NYC to LA in the summer and we are driving across with our pit bull. Our route is taking us through Denver and we are going to be spending a night in Boulder where there is no ban on pit bulls. We are a little worried about driving through Denver and Aurora as they have very strict bans on pit bulls. I would hate to think we get pulled over and our dog taken away from us.

Has anyone travelled through Denver or a BSL state with their restricted breed?

Last edited by dylan_505; 04-24-2016 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 01:42 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I don't believe your dog can be confiscated when just driving through, but I would email the Denver police dep't and ask just to be on the safe side. And make sure to take a comfort break just before entering a place where a ban is in effect.
Side note, one place I know of where they *can* confiscate your dog even though you're just innocently passing through, and the dog is in your vehicle, is the province of Ontario. Apparently, even if you say you'll turn right around and get the dog out of there, they can take it from you (although that part might be selectively enforced, I don't know). Really excessive, as if BSL itself wasn't excessive already.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:56 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
You have nothing to worry about. The penalty for having a pit bull in Denver is to show that you are permanently removing the dog from the city. Since you are just passing through even if for some odd reason your dog should escape your car and get picked up by animal control you can get them back by showing you are moving to LA.

As long as the dog is safely confined in your car (preferably by a crate for his own safety during the trip) you will have no problems. The crate prevents him from running off if there is an accident or jumping out when the door is opened.

The legal language is very scary but it all comes down to "If the dog is found to be a pit bull, it shall be destroyed, unless the owner produces evidence deemed sufficient by the manager that the pit bull is to be permanently taken out of Denver and the owner pays the cost of impoundment."
https://www.animallaw.info/local/co-...lls-prohibited

It also says you should transport them through in a crate. Which is a good idea whether or not there is BSL.

Last edited by mic111; 04-25-2016 at 02:04 PM..

Old 04-25-2016, 04:09 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times
You shouldn't have anything to worry about. I've been in Denver several times (and Aurora), especially when attending shows in Golden or once in Longmont. I've also went through visiting friends or family in the area. You are not moving there, you are going through there to move elsewhere. Most officers are not even going to ask what breed of dog is that in the crate back there, they are usually concerned with writing you a ticket or not. Actually I was in another city with a ban a few days ago and nothing happened even though there were several police around. I think they were more concerned investing something rather than what type of dogs we had. One detective walked right by my dog going to the business next door.
My vet is located in a city with BSL, so my dogs obviously go there pretty regularly.

There are likely some cities with exceptions where they can possibly take a dog even traveling through, you could probably get your dog back after some legal investment. No one wants to deal with that so you should check out how the BSL is written. Most of it is written that they are banned from actually residing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs