Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:42 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,737 times

Advertisements

Burglars don't like dogs because they bark. That works better than leaving them outside. Strange fact: small dogs work just as well as big ones. They yap so loud and so much it will attract the attention a burglar doesn't want.

Recently, most burglars are interested in stealing than killing your pooch. If you have a cute yorkie that is friendly, the thief will take that too and sell it on Craigslist.

I have 2 big dogs, both who have scared off a few unwanted burglars who attempted to check out my house. Their bark is the first defense. In addition to the dogs, I have changed out my old door locks to something stronger, ADT and hurricane impact windows if they decide to chance it with my dogs. Lastly, we make friends with our neighbors, some who are retired and stays home. If you need home security, having all these elements will make your house less attractive to break in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 09:40 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,847 times
I agree with cheese nugget. All you need a dog for is to bark. Anything else is a loose cannon and can get you into hot water with its aggression. Even a toy poodle will prowl the house at night and alert you if someone is sneaking around on the property.

Most criminals are looking for an easy hit. Any dog is a complication they don't need.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:29 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
You don't need to "train" a dog to protect you. In fact, you would be wasting your money and time doing so. Just pick a breed that has some protective instincts like a German Shepard, Doberman, etc. They will protect you naturally without training...

A dog who's naturally protective often brings other problems to the household.

Just get a large dog -- preferably a black one -- and you'll probably be safe. I always recommend a black Labrador Retriever to people who are concerned about their security. Walk the dog, on leash, around your front yard every night. Burglars are looking for easy houses and, if they see/hear a dog with a deep bark inside, they'll go next door.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:07 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
Beyond that though, I would never want my dog to act as protector against a true threat of someone breaking into the home or an unexpected attack outdoors. I'd do my best to protect him, even if he did step up and challenge the threat. For anyone who does use dogs as guardians, they should always be prepared for the worst...and be able to accept that the dog's life is at risk whenever an unwanted encounter occurs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
Burglars don't like dogs because they bark. That works better than leaving them outside. Strange fact: small dogs work just as well as big ones. They yap so loud and so much it will attract the attention a burglar doesn't want.
I second this.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:14 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I have a friend with a very checkered past who grew up in an environment that could be considered "crime rich." When I spoke to him about getting an alarm in my new house, he looked at me incredulously and pointed to my Catahoula. "With that dog, you don't need an alarm," is exactly what he told me.

When my Catahoula detects an intruder, he sounds like he's heralding the apocalypse while biting at the window and basically losing his mind. No one in their right mind would break into my house.

That said, there are a lot of caveats to getting a dog to protect the house.

1) Don't get a dog if you don't like dogs and don't intend to work with it or make it a part of your family. An untrained and poorly socialized dog is a liability, no matter its breed or size. It becomes a much greater liability when it's a large or aggressive breed.

2) You don't need an attack dog. You need a trained dog. Most dogs will raise hell if someone comes to the house (coonhounds are an exception, in my experience).

3) My dog is effective for several reasons. First off, he's terrifying. He's not terribly big or bulky, but talks a good game, you might say. Second, I have neighbors close by on either side- when my dog raises hell, they hear it. Third, I'm not someone who has a lot of valuables - anyone looking in my windows would see secondhand furniture, clunky and outdated tvs, very little adornment. The risk/reward possibilities aren't that enticing.

If you are willing to be an educated and devoted dog owner, sure, go ahead and get one. But make sure it's the right dog for YOU and not a dog you got just to guard your house. Also invest in some good locks, security doors, flood lights and an alarm system (or just some strategically placed household alarms if you can't afford a full system).

Old 04-03-2016, 04:49 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
If you need a dog to protect you and everything that is yours get a LGD. I personally prefer the Kuvasz dogtime.com/dog-breeds/kuvasz

A good example of this breed is the best canine protection that you could ever get. Unlike other guard dogs they only react to REAL threats and let me tell you, they have such an amazing discernment of who or what is a threat it's just absolutely mindblowing. My breeder made me promise to never second guess the dog. He said if she did not like some one I didn't like that someone either. They are extremely formidable dogs. Here in Canada they have taken down grizzly bears and that is no small feat. A wolf has no chance against one nor has anyone coming into your home with trouble on their mind yet they love kids and people in general. My Zora was a lean 125 pounds of muscle. I breed poodles and I'm buying a new property for my business. When I move I will be buying a new Kuvasz puppy. I can leave home for hours with all my dogs outside without a single worry. I will copy a story by a Kuvasz owner who got his dog from the same breeder we use.

5.0 The Kuvasz as a Companion Dog and Property Guardian
The Kuvasz today usually finds himself in the role of family companion and self-appointed guardian of home and property. His working instinct as a guard is simply transferred to his new home. His family, including other animals within the "family", and property, will all be protected from intruders and possible threats. It is up to you, as the owner, to direct his guardian instincts appropriately. That means early socialization with other people, both adults and children, and continuous reinforcement of that socialization throughout his life. It also means that you should formally introduce your dog to friends and newcomers every time they come to your home or come on to your property. Your dog will quickly accept close friends of the family, but will be suspicious with new people or casual acquaintances. Remember, that a guard dog that loves everybody, is of little value as a guard. All of the guardian breeds are naturally suspicious of strangers and will sound the alarm when a stranger comes to your home. They usually settle down quickly once they realize that there is no threat and that the stranger is welcomed by the family. Guarding comes natural to the Kuvasz. To expect him, or train him, not to guard is contrary to the essence of the breed!

There is a real sense of security living with a well behaved guard dog, such as the Kuvasz. Sarcany and Ocsag (1987) claim that the Kuvasz tops the list of all guard dogs because of their courage, loyalty and daring. Guarding of property, estates and homes is a natural for the breed without any special training. The breed's devotion is extreme and they are very gentle with their family. They adore children (assuming that they have been raised, or socialized with them), love to be in their presence and are very protective of them. Once again, that protectiveness may very well mean some supervision, especially when neighbouring children are playing and rough-housing with your children. Living with a guarding dog provides tremendous rewards and security but also implies considerable responsibilities from the owners. A well secured fenced area is a must, as is socialization and basic training. You need to think of situations from your dog's perspective that could trigger a guarding response. In some respects you need to be as protective of your dog as he is of you and your family. Don't put your dog into a situation where arousing its protective instinct could be to the ultimate detriment of your dog.

The Kuvasz is blessed with a great deal of good sense that can be shaped through socialization and basic training. A sound Kuvasz doesn't possess the hair-line trigger of uncontrollable aggression that some overly sharp lines of other breeds possess. However, an unsocialized, untrained Kuvasz, or a temperamentally unsound dog, could present very real aggression problems to anyone trespassing its territory. That may be natural, but it is the dog that pays the ultimate price should it bite. We can't afford a bad reputation with mounting vicious dog legislation in many jurisdictions. Look after your dog and he will look after you.

There is a natural range in the degree of aggressiveness within various lines of Kuvaszok. All should be effective guardians, but some lines are sharper (aggressive) than others. Choose your breeder wisely and always check out the behaviour of the parents and other breeding stock. It takes a skilled, confident and knowledgeable owner to handle a sharp dog. The calmer dog with a slower fuse is a preferable companion for most families. And remember you will still be given the protection that the Kuvasz is so noted for.

The Kuvasz is an ideal family companion provided you understand what he is and what he is not. His devotion, affection and gentleness is fanatical, while providing you with protection to the point of self-sacrifice. If you are responsible, have deep affection for dogs and experience with guarding breeds, then maybe the Kuvasz is for you. If the match is right, and you provide him the socialization, training and fenced security that he needs, you will be rewarded with a lifetime of devotion and love. We can attest to that fact.

Our Kuvasz, Shadow, has an exemplary, outstanding temperament. He is easy-going, admired by our neighbours and a friend to all of the neighbourhood children. They all seem to know Shadow, and he, in turn is always happy to greet them. Yet in spite of his happy demeanor with the neighbourhood children and neighbours, he is still an effective and sensible guard. How can this be? Is he contrary to the nature of the Kuvasz that I described? I think that there are several factors that make him the wonderful companion that he is. First, he comes from good breeding (Brantwood Kennels) where sound, stable temperament is a top priority. Second, he is not a bully or alpha by nature, but rather, gentle and easy-going, a characteristic that fitted our family situation beautifully. Third, we have had lots of experience with large guardian breeds, notably German Shepherds and have extensive training experience. That is to say, we knew the importance of socialization, of setting firm, but fair rules and how to train our dogs in a rewarding manner. We also had an older well-behaved dog that served as a good mentor, or role model, and a young child with plenty of friends to naturally help in the overall socialization process. The combination of sound breeding, selecting the right temperament for our family, and responsible ownership has resulted in a Kuvasz that is a source of great pride and a delight to showcase anywhere. So yes, the Kuvasz can be an outstanding companion.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:02 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
A typical homeowner does not need a guard dog. If you want a dog, get either an image dog or an alarm dog. An image dog looks like maybe it isn't smart to mess with it, which translates as big and possibly, but not necessarily, a breed that has a reputation. Some of the big breeds will lick a burglar to death, but the burglar doesn't know that and doesn't want to find out.

An alarm dog barks when there is a disturbance. The dog should be trained not to bark at anything and everything, but only when people approach the house. Burglars don't like noise and even a small dog can make a lot of noise. Perhaps stay away from tiny and cute breeds, because the dog itself can get stolen and sold for drug money.

Dogs trained to guard are too much for the average pet owner to handle, and they tend to end up not so valuable because people start to put them up when anyone comes over. Your dog isn't going to help you if you've shut him in the bedroom when you have a visitor.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:23 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,709 times
Google "Barking Dog Machine"
Only animal lovers should own dogs: are you one?
If not, they sell bark machines that mimic a Rottweiler and a Pitbull, in stereo!
Owning a big dog requires love, patience and training and money. From your post I think you are better off moving and taking gun safety training: you.ll want an extra surprise for anyone who enters after hearing that machine, which can be hard wired into the house. I presume they still make them altho it was a few years ago when i researched them.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:18 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
A kuvasz is not a dog for a beginner.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:34 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Google "Barking Dog Machine"... they sell bark machines that mimic a Rottweiler and a Pitbull, in stereo!...

I have two of these barking dog machines. It sounds like a pair of angry German Shepherds and is activated by motion, going off whenever someone comes up to the front door or the patio door. I dont use them when my dobermans are here because the sound scares the dobermans:

Safety Technology International ED-50 Rex Plus Electronic Watchdog, Barking Dog Alarm - - Amazon.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs