Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 05:47 PM

325 posts, read 228,833 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: cannot refer to mod action on forum I just wanted to say thank you to the people who do give me good tips and advice with my new puppy. I do know how people feel about buying pups from pet stores but that's where I got him. I didn't know how bad it is to do until now. But I am still thankful for my perfect pup.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-15-2016 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 06:02 PM

We just got off phone with trainer, we start monday!!! This trainer is certified. We are going to be in beginner1 then advance to beg2 and puppy star class since we can't do canine good citizen til he is one year old.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:02 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
I hate the placess that supply pet stores and the fact that pet stores sell to anyone. I do not hate the dogs and other animals who come from pet stores. They're just as worthy of love and good care as any animals. I didn't see the original thread so I don't know what the problem was. Don't worry; just make sure that there is nothing remotely chewable available. My last puppy who is now an old dog chewed up a cell phone, glasses, a new mattress, and much else. She needed immediate help when I found her. Amost all of my other dogs have been older when I adopted them.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:13 PM

. Yea I didn't know all that I know now about pet stores that sell puppies. But I love my pup. He has chewed up my dsl cord, my wallet and thats it b/c we bought lots of toys and bully sticks and such. Plus keep a good eye on him.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-15-2016 at 08:44 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 08:12 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times
Actually, I think you can put a CGC (Canine Good Citizen) on your pup when he is 6 months old; as long as he has all his shots.

What Is Canine Good Citizen? - American Kennel Club

The first time I acquired a dog in my adult life, I didn't really know the down side of pet shops; though I got my pup from a responsible breeder because that was the way my family always had bought puppies. You live and learn. Now I won't even go into a pet shop to buy supplies if they sell puppies and/or kittens. There aren't too many pet shops in my area anymore.

So glad that you're starting puppy class on Monday - how exciting! Don't be worried if your pup acts up in the first class; or doesn't seem as obedient as at home - it will be a new environment and he will be distracted. Everyone else will have beginner pups and dogs too; and some of them will be wild, bouncing all over the place. Your pup might well be one of the best four-legged students there. Though Beginner Obedience is really as much to teach the owner how to teach the dog as it is to teach the dog directly. Do let us know how you and the puppy do in the class - I imagine it will be confusing, enjoyable, a bit stressful but not too much, exciting and ultimately very rewarding.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:12 PM

I am so excited we start training class on monday. We will be in beg.1 then advance to beg2, and also star puppy. Since max isn't a year he can't do canine good citizenship. Max knows how to do most of what they teach in beg 1 but it will be good practice since it is in a group setting.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:29 PM

The trainer said he has to be 1 that is why she said I could do star puppy now

Old 04-15-2016, 08:37 PM

122 posts, read 124,914 times
I think what you are doing with your Rottie pup is fantastic. Getting into classes and getting Star Puppy and CGC is a very good path. It’s anecdotal; but, every Rottie I ever met were the most loving dogs I’ve ever encountered. My oldest Standard Poodle’s bff is a Rottie.

The only caution that I can offer is what others have said; but, I don’t know how much formal dog trainer experience they have. My club has a Manners Class which is a graduation class from Puppy Class. The requirement for this class is 6 months old or older (no upper age). We do get all lot of over exuberant 18 month old Rotties that the owner cannot control because they are 80+ lbs. You are smart to establish the basic manners now.

About your dog being from a pet shop, I bought my first dog (a Sheltie) in the 1980s from a friend who purchased her dog from a local pet shop. What really amazed me was how smart that dog was. She was bred with a dog from a “borderline” byb and had two pups. I say “borderline” because the breeder was a bit active in the breed but I think everyone thought he was a bit eccentric. I took the male from that only litter.
Anyway, my Sheltie walked on a loose leash from day one, easily earned an AKC CD degree (didn’t have the Star Puppy and CGC at that time) and entertained my neighbors with his precision heeling.

Good wishes to you and your pup!

Last edited by Standards13; 04-15-2016 at 08:58 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 09:44 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
The trainer said he has to be 1 that is why she said I could do star puppy now
I believe that puppies can take the CGC test anytime after they have received all their shots, even at 6 or 7 months. Dog owners are often encouraged by evaluators and trainers to train to test their dogs at the age of 12-14 months; possibly because the dog's temperament is more mature and a little less puppyish? But your dog is eligible to take the CGC test when he has his shots, including Rabies. It's probably best to go along with your teacher. He/She is the one with experience.

It will also be educational, and useful, for you to meet other dog owners. Your dog probably is more advanced than some of them; since you have worked with him consistently for awhile. It will also be good for your puppy to meet other dog-friendly people, and children if there are some there.

Let us know how you like the class!

Old 04-15-2016, 10:24 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Whats Star Puppy? IF I had a Puppy that was 6 months old still waiting for its Forever home I Put CGC on him/her But guess after a decade things change. Use to be Dog had to be 6 months For Obedience titles. Knew a Lady with a Golden by the time he was a year he had his OBTC title...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs