Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:03 AM

959 posts, read 1,818,419 times

Advertisements

We are looking at getting a second dog (age will be under a year to 2 years). Our current dog is almost 2 and is a female. She LOVES other dogs and gets along with them really well. I personally would prefer another female but I am wondering if it is best to get a male. I am not sure if there is normally a problem with 2 females getting along. I know it really depends on the dog, but just wanted to know if anyone had any advice on this before we start looking for a new family member.

We have had 2 males before and that was fine, just never 2 females.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 11:24 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,114,059 times
Some folks say that one gender is better, but to be honest, I've heard of good experiences with 2 girls, 2 boys, 1 of each...I know this isn't helping, but it really does depend on the dogs.

At one time we had two girls and a boy. One of the girls and the boy were adopted as a bonded pair, the other girl was my husbands and she joined the pack when we got together. Both of my pair LOVED my husbands girl. I think they liked her better than they did each other! LOL

Old 04-20-2016, 12:01 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,082,986 times
32 dogs at one time 1 each Male Collie Cocker & Sheltie... ALL the rest were Girls. No Fights! ALL Played together! When the Females went into heat & I wanted pups I put her with the right male... Some times & Kept the Males inside to prevent Litters. Didn't have a Problem with them getting along in general. Now on the other hand other breeders did they were the Bully Breeds Rotties, etc. So I going to say wont matter BUT Depends on the Breed. Do you take he places like Dog Parks? Does she play or act aggressive with certain Sexes?

Old 04-20-2016, 12:13 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,266,119 times
I currently have 2 females. They bonded in their first meeting and love each other to this day. I personally don't like male dogs because they have a tendency to mark at new places even if neutered, just not my preference.

The only way you will know if it works out is a meet and greet. Pick a female you like at the rescue and let the meeting decide how your pup truly feels about other females.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:16 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,584,571 times
I would always go with different genders, one of each; it should minimize conflict. Girls together can work out well; depending on the breed and the personality of each. But when female dogs become annoyed with each other, they don't always go through the rituals of escalation that male dogs do (which gives each party a chance to back down); and can just go straight to the scrapping.

If you are going to get a second dog, now is a good time, before your girl is much older. I would get a young male, or a female puppy if you really want a second girl. Make sure that when you introduce them for the first time, they are on neutral ground (or at least territory that is neutral for your girl). Give toys, treats and meals to the older dog (your girl) first.

Good luck.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:28 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,341,232 times
I used to always go with male/female combos, but currently have two female pit mixes who have never had an issue in 5-6 years. I was (pleasantly) surprised at the way they hit it off instantly. There are dogs that are intolerant of other dogs of the same sex, but it's not a hard and fast rule by any means. They were both adults when I brought the second one home. I almost think this is better, because then, what you see is what you get. Some dogs' attitudes can change when they become adults.

Last edited by subject2change; 04-20-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 12:56 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,294,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
We are looking at getting a second dog (age will be under a year to 2 years). Our current dog is almost 2 and is a female. She LOVES other dogs and gets along with them really well. I personally would prefer another female but I am wondering if it is best to get a male. I am not sure if there is normally a problem with 2 females getting along. I know it really depends on the dog, but just wanted to know if anyone had any advice on this before we start looking for a new family member.

We have had 2 males before and that was fine, just never 2 females.

Thanks!

I prefer females over males. Not as aggressive, always sweet, and they don't p*ss on every tree in the yard.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
32 dogs at one time 1 each Male Collie Cocker & Sheltie... ALL the rest were Girls. No Fights! ALL Played together! When the Females went into heat & I wanted pups I put her with the right male... Some times & Kept the Males inside to prevent Litters. Didn't have a Problem with them getting along in general. Now on the other hand other breeders did they were the Bully Breeds Rotties, etc. So I going to say wont matter BUT Depends on the Breed. Do you take he places like Dog Parks? Does she play or act aggressive with certain Sexes?
We take her to play at her friends house and her friends come over to play at our house. 1 is a female and the other is male, she has no issues with either of them. We board her at a home when we go on vacation and when she goes there she has so much fun she can't even stand it. When the sitter comes to pick her up and she sees her car pull in the driveway, she goes crazy. She has never played aggressive at all.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:08 PM

Thanks so much for all the replies! It is really helpful to read everyone's opinions on this.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:36 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,911,377 times
Personally, I don't think it matters, and I don't think one is "gentler" over the other.

I've had a male and a female, then second time I had two males. The only one that would want to get into fights was the female
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs