Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 06:10 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times

Advertisements

We have never owned a dog, but are considering getting one. I want a small dog that doesn't shed a lot and that is OK being indoors most of the time, except for occasional walks for fresh air around the neighborhood. I guess you could say I am looking for a "lap" dog that is gentle and calm. The breeds I have considered are a Pug, Shih Tzu, or Dachshund.

Any opinions about these breeds, or other suggestions? We work and are gone for long hours all day, don't have a fenced in yard, and don't want the responsibility of a large dog, even though I love Golden Retrievers. Our home is just a small rancher with no basement. I don't want a dog that is destructive or "hyper".

Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 06:12 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,168 times
I would suggest an uncut male Jack Russel Terrier
(evil grin)

Old 04-20-2016, 06:53 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
We have never owned a dog, but are considering getting one. I want a small dog that doesn't shed a lot and that is OK being indoors most of the time, except for occasional walks for fresh air around the neighborhood. I guess you could say I am looking for a "lap" dog that is gentle and calm. The breeds I have considered are a Pug, Shih Tzu, or Dachshund.

Any opinions about these breeds, or other suggestions? We work and are gone for long hours all day, don't have a fenced in yard, and don't want the responsibility of a large dog, even though I love Golden Retrievers. Our home is just a small rancher with no basement. I don't want a dog that is destructive or "hyper".

Most dogs shed, and need at least some outdoor space to run and play in a few times a week (or more). Most dogs go through stages when they are destructive and 'hyper'.

Dachshunds are strong-willed and not always gentle and calm.

Pugs are more what you are looking for; and they shed.

Shih-Tzus can be nice little dogs; choose carefully. They shed too.

You might consider Havanese or Coton de Tulear. They are pleasant small dogs. Also, perhaps, Tibetan Spaniels; but they are more independent-minded and not quite lap dogs.

How long are you gone? It is unfair to leave dogs indoors with no companionship for 8 hours straight or more. I would not consider such an arrangement unless you hire a good dog walker or a neighborhood kid to take the dog out once or twice and spend a little time with him/her. And can you fence a portion of your yard, or find a decent fenced dog park where you can take the dog to run around and play outdoors safely a few times a week? Dogs can be fine indoors, but they have a psychological and physical need to run around and play off-lead outdoors at least semi-regularly, so they can exercise their minds and noses as well as their legs.

And don't consider getting a puppy; because a puppy not only could not make it through long hours alone without making messes, it will have periods of being hyper and destructive.

I'm not sure that your environment, priorities, and lifestyle are really suitable for a dog. Perhaps you should try volunteering at a local animal shelter first, walking and (if possible) fostering a dog.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:56 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
How about a Stuffed dog.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:53 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
I would suggest an uncut male Jack Russel Terrier
(evil grin)
Terrors!

Old 04-20-2016, 08:05 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Miniature poodle? They don't shed. Poodle-bison mix are also nice and don't shed. Pugs shed some, but the blacks less. We've owned all of these, and they were all sweet "sofa dogs", but all dogs need to get a walk daily.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:41 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

This aspect of your life is not very compatible with being a dog owner. Many gentle, calm dogs could easily become "destructive and/or hyper" when consistently left alone for that long.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:40 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
^^^^ Oh, cancel what I wrote about the dog breeds, Dogs cannot be left alone all day. It is cruel because they are social animals. And yes, they can get depressed and destructive and sick.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:32 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,908 times
Get an older cat, a domestic shorthair for less shedding, calm when you are home and sleeps for the 8-10 hours when you are out.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:00 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
I've had Pugs. They're very social animals and most of them love being around people. You can't leave one home alone all day long though. They'd be miserable. They shed and their little hairs get all entwined into fabrics.

Shih tzu's.. I don't recall mine shedding much. He was an older rescue and wasn't interested in people much.

If you really want a dog why don't you go to a rescue group, or a breed specific rescue group. They may have animals that would be perfectly content to stay home alone during the day.

What concerns me is that you say your yard isn't fenced in so you'd have to walk it. After a hard day's work are you really going to want to walk a dog? Or are you planning on letting this dog use wee wee pads?

Why not get a cat? They have hairless ones. Cat's don't mind being alone as much as dogs and they can be just as loving, and less destructive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs