U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 11,889 times

Advertisements

My dog(pit), is about 4 years old. He's been healthy all the way up to here recently. About three months ago, he developed a slight limp that has now grown to a very noticable strut. I can tell the problem area is in his right, front, leg. I've also heard stories about pit bulls joints or tendons being bad, stemming from the breed or bloodline. Basically, I wondered if anyone could further school me on what deal might be. The vet is a possible option, but they always seem to act scared, or shy when examining him. Thanks for any input anyone might add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 12:01 PM

7,541 posts, read 16,350,576 times
Pit Bull Ortho Injuries?

Look at this thread a few of us have answered your Q there from when it got seperated from another thread

Old 12-25-2011, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinz/Keeper View Post
My dog(pit), is about 4 years old. He's been healthy all the way up to here recently. About three months ago, he developed a slight limp that has now grown to a very noticable strut. I can tell the problem area is in his right, front, leg. I've also heard stories about pit bulls joints or tendons being bad, stemming from the breed or bloodline. Basically, I wondered if anyone could further school me on what deal might be. The vet is a possible option, but they always seem to act scared, or shy when examining him. Thanks for any input anyone might add.
I have a 7 year old female pit. She major surgery in May of 2011, torn acl, they put a plate a screws in her knee, a very costly surgery. A long recovery period, watching and leashing at all times, careful to walk only when necessary at first. Then everything is very gradual. No jumping! She has now injured her right knee just 2 days ago, running down the stairs, not too fast but it happened. I am now looking at another surgery. I spent Christmas Eve day at a emergency vet to confirm. As soon as I saw what she was doing and not bearing weight, lifting leg, hopping on 3 legs. If she did put it down to balance it was like she would just touch the tips of her toes down, almost like a ballerina, best way I can describe. I was tole at her 1st surgery it is highly likley she could do the same thing to her other knee. Because of the pitbull weight and their activity, mine like to run short quick stops. They twist and turn causing injury, I am sorry for what you are going through, taking a deep breath here myself, in for another surgery. Best wishes to you and your pet, hugs~~~

Old 12-25-2011, 07:35 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,768,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlw521 View Post
I have a 7 year old female pit. She major surgery in May of 2011, torn acl, they put a plate a screws in her knee, a very costly surgery. A long recovery period, watching and leashing at all times, careful to walk only when necessary at first. Then everything is very gradual. No jumping! She has now injured her right knee just 2 days ago, running down the stairs, not too fast but it happened. I am now looking at another surgery. I spent Christmas Eve day at a emergency vet to confirm. As soon as I saw what she was doing and not bearing weight, lifting leg, hopping on 3 legs. If she did put it down to balance it was like she would just touch the tips of her toes down, almost like a ballerina, best way I can describe. I was tole at her 1st surgery it is highly likley she could do the same thing to her other knee. Because of the pitbull weight and their activity, mine like to run short quick stops. They twist and turn causing injury, I am sorry for what you are going through, taking a deep breath here myself, in for another surgery. Best wishes to you and your pet, hugs~~~

review this website, too......

Dog Ligament Injury-- Is Surgery Really Needed?

Old 12-25-2011, 07:48 PM

1,188 posts, read 4,949,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlw521 View Post
Our dog would pick up her leg and limp. After down time when we thought we had her healed it would reoccur with moderate activity. Some times it could be more probable depending on the breed, but some times it bad luck just like with our aussie mix. To determine whether the ACL is torn it’s determined by physical manipulation by the vet. I will say that we went to two vets who looked at her who felt it was a pulled muscle. After a year of this on/off, we knew our vets were worng and sought a 3rd opinion…and that’s when we learned it was torn. The 3rd vet physically manipulated our dog’s knee and was absolutely sure she had torn it.

ACLs are typically torn by cutting, quick turns and side to side movement. My aussie mix just had her second ACL surgery in 3 years (one on each knee). We asked our surgeon if he had to give us estimates based on his practice, how common are second ACL surgeries. He told us that in dogs that have the surgery under the age of 2 years, he estimates that 80% of those dogs would be back in the next few years for an ACL on the other leg. He told us there is something genetically wrong with these dogs because there is no earthly reason why young healthy dogs should be blowing out both of their ACLs. Our surgeon said that the breeds he sees in his practice the most often (practices in Oklahoma) are: #1 Labs, #2 Mastiffs and #3 Great Pyrenees. For dogs over the age of 2 years old that came in for an ACL surgery, he estimated that the return on those patients are approximately 25-33%. Dang our luck and yours too!

Old 12-26-2011, 03:14 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,026,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinz/Keeper View Post
Okay, right front leg leaves out their knees (back legs only - knee location) which means it is most likely shoulder, soft tissue, ligament etc., the best thing to do for sprang shoulders (besides taking your dog to the vet) would be...

Ice it or use a package of frozen veggies wrapped in a towel for 15 minutes every three hour for the next 24 hours. Then switch to warm packs (heating pad on low) for 15 minutes every three hours for the following 24 hours. This would have been best as soon as you noticed the jury. Keep your dog from running, jumping and rough housing with other dogs and yourself for (at minimum) the next two weeks but three weeks would be better.

When you take your dog out to do it's business, keep it leashed and no running or playing or walks for the next two to three weeks. Your dog needs healing time.

Please do not buy into the myth (I admit I was guilty of this for a long time, I have owned bullies for more than 15 years...) that your bully breed (pit) has a high pain tolerance. Case and point, what does your dog do went when it steps on a sticker? Yes, I know...the paw goes up and they immediately try to get the sticker out, why? Well, it's painful. They do NOT have a higher tolerance for pain, they just have laser focus and when focused on something, they may ignore the pain in the heat of the moment but they feel it.

So, please...I encourage you to keep your dog enclosed or gated in a small area close to you, as they love to be close to their humans. This way, it will help to keep your dog calm, keep your dog from jumping and make sure it is not getting worse.

"IF" you end up taking your pittie to the vet, one of the pain killers they will offer you is Rimadyl or the generic, Carprofen. Ask what ALL of the side effect are and if they don't mention it can shut down the kidneys, liver and eventually cause death, they are not being completely honest. Look it up for yourself on the Internet.

Here's my experience...(I know, I lost my Am Staff to Rimadyl about six years ago. I lost my cattle dog mix to Carprofen - not knowing it was the generic to Rimadyl last June...she went in for a sprang shoulder and within three weeks, it had done so much damage, I had to put her down. NO dog deserves to go like that...)

So, since you are your dogs BEST and ONLY advocate, I suggest the cold and warm packs first, give your dog rest and recoup time and if it does not look like your dog is not getting better over the next two to three weeks, then I would visit the vet.

Please feel free to e-mail me, I would be more than happy to help where I can. I am not a vet, I don't pretend to be BUT the welfare of ALL dogs does concern me...and I have a soft-spot for bullies when some people shrink back.

I believe pit bulls are the worlds most misunderstood breed of dog...and we as humans have brought that on this amazing, beautiful, loyal and comical breed.

-LuvABull

Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 AM

5,240 posts, read 13,977,232 times
This thread is nearly four years old. LOL I"m *hoping* the OP figured out the issue by now. But the information in here is helpful to any others down the road that may have problems. Just didn't want anyone to worry about the dog when the OP didn't come back with an update!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:46 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,026,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
This thread is nearly four years old. LOL I"m *hoping* the OP figured out the issue by now. But the information in here is helpful to any others down the road that may have problems. Just didn't want anyone to worry about the dog when the OP didn't come back with an update!
I noticed that AFTER I posted...but then others were talking about ACL surgery (knees only.) I wasn't sure why the thread was brought back but...hopefully if someone pulls it up they will see the knees are in the back legs, not the front as the question from the OP was asking...

Old 01-02-2012, 02:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,953 times
I have a female rescue pitbull. I thin she's about 2 years old. She started limping on her right forefoot yesterday after exercising with a tennis ball. In looking at her, I can't tell if it's muscle related or something worse. How long shall I wait before taking her to see a vet? She doesn't appear to be in pain but the fact that she's not putting her foot down surely means she is. You mentioned ice and heat, which I would willingly do, however, I don't know where to ice/heat.....foot vs shoulder. any advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 AM

399 posts, read 743,685 times
I have two pit bulls. One of them, Spanky, tore the ACL in his right rear leg. He is 12 and has managed to walk pretty good without the operation although the leg does seem a little stiff and unable to maneuver completely. During the cold or rainy days I do give him a Rymadyl (100 mg) to help get him through it. A few years ago both my dogs contracted Lyme disease and one of their legs went pretty limp until after the antibiotics kicked in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs