Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 01:20 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

I always feel sorry for Huskies that I see here in Florida. They need to be in a cold climate and they are escape artists. When we lived up north we had a Husky/Border Collie mix. No matter what we did or how high we made the fence in the back yard he always managed to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 11:27 AM

141 posts, read 217,569 times
I have 3 huskies, and can tell you they are ALOT of work! Like it was said, they need a lot of exercise, and get bored easily. They can be very destructive when left along uncrated. They are also very stubborn and will take commands as "suggestions" whenever they feel like it. I had mine in training classes, and some weeks he was the star student, doing everything perfect, and some weeks it was like he was never trained. They also cannot be trusted off leash as they were bred to pull sleds and run, and run and run.

Oh and the shedding. It.Never.Stops!

Old 08-16-2016, 05:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
OMG This is so funny.

https://www.facebook.com/hypedojodot...7841501507588/

Old 08-25-2016, 01:30 PM

30,525 posts, read 16,222,191 times
so which one, nk?

Husky Puppies Fight Over Toy — Until Mama Lays Down the Law! (VIDEO)

Old 08-25-2016, 03:50 PM

OMG aren't they precious????How could anybody decide?

Old 08-26-2016, 11:54 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
They seem like great dogs but I see Husky after Husky on the Lost and Found pages here, it's amazing how many.
That's because they can jump or climb 5 foot sometimes 6 ft fencing. Plus if not exercised daily (these dogs were bred to pull sleds running for miles), they can be very destructive with digging and chewing and howling.
They need regular grooming and shed a LOT!
They also can have a high prey drive and can be triggered to attack small furry animals, even if they normally aren't dog aggressive.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:21 PM

they start early

https://www.facebook.com/charmingani...c_ref=NEWSFEED

Old 09-17-2016, 09:43 AM

15 posts, read 30,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
That's because they can jump or climb 5 foot sometimes 6 ft fencing. Plus if not exercised daily (these dogs were bred to pull sleds running for miles), they can be very destructive with digging and chewing and howling.
They need regular grooming and shed a LOT!
They also can have a high prey drive and can be triggered to attack small furry animals, even if they normally aren't dog aggressive.
funnily enough, my huskies are nothing like this.

Dog 1 is a total couch potato. Tried taking him hiking. After an hour he's beat and wants to go home. Mostly he just likes to lounge out in the yard or lie on the floor in the living room (depending on the weather).
BUT, when he wants attention, he'll demand it, going as far as to push his head under my hand (so I have to pet him)

Dog 2 is dr. huskie and mr. energizer. At home, he's mostly just lies down, content to do nothing... as long as he's in the same room as the family AND dog 1 isn't getting attention. He gets very jealous if I pet dog 1 and insists on getting petted too. Take him outside and you're in for an ordeal. Gone for 3-4 hour hikes and he wants more. Don't run because he only knows how to accelerate. But, as soon as we get into the house, it's like someone hit the off switch, and he just lies there.

Also, dog 2 can't jump 3 feet. Dog 1 can, but doesn't realize it. He didn't figure out he could jump the baby gate we used to have separating the kitchen from the dining room until a foster dog showed him how. Neither dog has ever attempted to jump the 4 foot fence around the house. That being said, if there's stranger-danger, dog 1 will be there in an instant.

As for shedding, every day we clean up furballs the size of a maltese.
When the dogs are shedding (twice per year, and unfortunately not at the same time), for about a month you can pick huge cotton balls out of their coat with your bare fingers. I can brush a dog for an hour, and there's still plenty of loose fur.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:46 PM

https://www.facebook.com/PeopleThatT...9/?pnref=story

Old 09-29-2016, 01:00 PM

308 posts, read 237,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
The Husky is a beautiful breed. We have an Akita Chow and she is similar - we wouldn't want her to get loose. God help anyone who would steal her - I wouldn't be easy on them. She's absolutely gorgeous. And loyal!

As an Akita/Chow would she be easy on anyone who stole her??? Two breeds renowned for being very standoffish with strangers though have met a couple of Akitas who were reasonably stranger friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs