U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 04:21 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,140,093 times

Advertisements

We have an almost 7 year old Miniature Dachshund. I learned alot about this animal, literally by accident.

A little over two weeks ago, while finishing getting ready to go to the office, this dog came into the bedroom barking in a way we had never experienced before - LOUD - CONSTANT - NO WAGGING TAIL - STARING at me - turns around and runs to the bedroom door - comes back to me and keeps up the BARKING - it was obvious he wanted me to follow him.

As I reached the door, I heard my wife yelling for HELP! She had fallen getting into her car - broke both bones in her ankle. I had not heard her - but Sammy had - and he knew something was wrong and he had to get me.

My wife spent 5 days hospitalized w/surgery. She is home AND, Sammy will not, absolutely will not leave her side! While always an eager eater, I have to coax him now to eat. While always anxious to go to the office with me, he has growled at me if I try to take him away from "Mom".

I don't know if anyone else has had a similar experience but, it has been a fascinating and wonderous time recently with Sammy. One that I will never forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 04:53 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,676,698 times
Great story to bad needed surgery but shows loyalty of the pup.
Just as in SAR we have to learn trust our dogs and watch their signs they give us.Glad wife home and may she mend fast..Hope pup got treats!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 PM

7,728 posts, read 11,021,828 times
What a GREAT dog!!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:35 PM

389 posts, read 3,288,358 times
I know exactly what you mean. My husband had our older dog before we met, so when we got married, he kind of treated me like the step mom and didn't feel like he had to listen to me. I love him more than anything, but we had some trying times there that included him knocking me over on my rollerblades...more than once! So we got our second dog, and he was more "my dog" a total momma's boy, and older guy was "my husbands dog" well about 5 years ago now I got in a really bad car accident and after being in the hospital for about a week, I got to come home, but had to stay in bed for another week...older dog never left my side, and has been "my dog" ever since! We pushed the bed right up to the bathroom door because I had so much damage and it really hurt to walk, so it was literally like one step to reach the bathroom, and Alex (older dog) would stand up and "walk with me" to the bathroom (which for him pretty much entailed standing and just pivoting around watching me) and he would lie back down outside the bathroom door This process was repeated every time I got up, he would follow me every where! He's such a great dog! "Little Dog" Honu is a great dog too, and now they are pretty much both momma's boys because I am home with them more and am the one who feeds the regular meals, but that accident was the turning point in our relationship Dogs are just great, aren't they?

Old 02-13-2008, 07:46 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,676,698 times
My rescue knows when my knee's hurt bad and when time to get off couch he walks over so grab his collar help me stand. Strange how knows when hurting and when not.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:57 PM

180 posts, read 896,999 times
I had a little guy that I still miss dearly. His name was Nosi and he talked to me all the time. He told on the kids when they snuck out a couple of times to try smoking, came and got me, took me to the door.. lol He told me when the kids left the yard, he came and got me when the candle melted crooked and spilled over on the chair and started smoking...
and he came and got me and told me there was trouble when my daughter was having a siezure on the front steps of the house.

He would do the same thing as Sammi! no tail wag, insistent barking and running in the direction he wanted me to go.

I still love you and miss you Nosi! I couldn't have raised my kids without you!

Old 02-14-2008, 11:12 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,859,278 times
I am an insulin-dependent diabetic, and I know my beagle can sense when my blood sugar is dangerously low. He will usually paw at me (he doesn't do this any other time) until I figure out what he's telling me and test my sugar. He's very accurate... and he has probably saved my life more than once. I love the little guy so much!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 11:15 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,387,344 times
awww that's great!

Old 02-14-2008, 11:22 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,875,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
I am an insulin-dependent diabetic, and I know my beagle can sense when my blood sugar is dangerously low. He will usually paw at me (he doesn't do this any other time) until I figure out what he's telling me and test my sugar. He's very accurate... and he has probably saved my life more than once. I love the little guy so much!!!
Yeah, how many cat people can say that their cat has saved their life? Dogs rule!!

Old 02-14-2008, 11:36 AM

5,844 posts, read 15,906,411 times
I still love cats...but am thinking about a small dog. Any suggestions? Husband has asthma, so it has to be short hair. And I have arthritis and artificial knees, so it can't be a big dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs