U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 06:57 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,862,365 times

Advertisements

Such a stupid and cruel "sport". I've known a few retired Greyhounds and they were wonderful pets.

Hundreds of greyhounds up for adoption as Tucson track prepares to end racing - KGUN9.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 12:18 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,514,803 times
Yes sports involving animals are curled and needless. Shame on those who partake in these sports.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:14 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,880,794 times
Greyhounds make wonderful pets. Gentle, clean, quiet, polite. But please be aware they come (most of them) with a strong prey drive, so may not be great around cats and other small pets like hamsters...

Old 05-04-2016, 07:05 PM

4,717 posts, read 10,207,929 times
Have to hide this post from Dazzle or I will have a home full of greyhounds. Right now he is in love with a greyhound boy that just started coming to the dog park. The greyhound is just as taken with Dazzle and they play and hang out. I like greyhounds and this one is really a nice and very social dog.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:55 PM

14,698 posts, read 8,523,885 times
Well that's lovely that they're stopping greyhound racing as a sport, but unfortunately the state of AZ will be faced with a likely insurmountable obstacle: getting rid of the impossible restrictions that rescues impose on adopting greyhounds so they can actually find homes once they retire. Years ago, I, a huge sighthound lover, had two Borzois. As a Borzoi owner, I was well aware of the special requirements of greyhounds, a breed closely related to the Borzoi, so I wanted to adopt a brindle male former racer. Yet I was denied adopting a former racing greyhound. The reason? Who knows?

Old 05-11-2016, 07:40 AM

974 posts, read 1,528,339 times
Warning: Actual knowledge ahead - not conjecture

Greyhound Crossroads - Greyhound Information

Old 05-12-2016, 04:39 AM

4,508 posts, read 2,130,979 times
Because of my age and personal lack of stamina, I can no longer own greyhounds. When I was younger, I adopted two from a closing track. OMG, they are THE BEST! And yes, you can't have just one. lol.

The one requirement would be a securely fenced yard. If one takes off unrestrained, you'll probably never see it again.

It's true that they are primarily sprinters. They will charge around the yard a couple of times (mine was a fenced acre). Then they come back inside and plop down next to each other. They definitely are couch potatoes.

Wonderful dogs. I miss mine terribly.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:00 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,862,365 times
That certainly was a very informative link about Greyhounds. But this one statement struck me as very unfortunate.

"We all know that wild animals must be handled by humans as babies or they will remain wild their entire lives"

This statement makes it seem wild animals can be domesticated or tame simply by being handled by humans when they are young. The truth is wild animals are still wild animals no matter how much human exposure they get. We only have to look at stories about chimps tearing off faces of known visitors, elephants trampling abusive keepers and big cats going rogue.

Besides that one statement, I found the site extremely interesting. I've had two vets which had retired greyhounds as on-site blood donors and now I know why. They were extremely docile and calm and made wonderful office dogs.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:10 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,864,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Warning: Actual knowledge ahead - not conjecture

Greyhound Crossroads - Greyhound Information
Excellent post.
We adopted a greyhound from the racetrack and she was wonderful.
In addition to the information (link) and the other post:
-since greyhounds have very thin coats/skin and body fat they should not be left outside in cold
weather and even when letting them out (depending on how cold) they should wear some type of
sweater and even boots. Also, leaving them out in extreme heat is more dangerous for greyhounds
(they would need some type of shade).
-Greyhounds owners need a veterinarian who has experience and knowledge about the breed. (link)
-they should always be in a fenced yard or on a leash....they will run.
-and yes, they are couch potatoes.

Veterinary Care | Greyhound Life

Old 05-14-2016, 05:15 PM

124 posts, read 67,637 times
We are not in the position to get a big guy. I love sight hounds
I learned about greyhounds when I worked at doggie daycare. I have had an IG for 8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs