Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 04:26 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times

Advertisements

Full disclosure would have been nice at the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 04:28 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Full disclosure would have been nice at the beginning.

HuH

Old 04-30-2016, 04:34 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
Given the information you have provided, I agree with Katie and S2C. If you have been traveling and upon arrival home your dog has started urinating in the house, then a vet visit is in order. Generally speaking, any atypical behavior needs to be investigated.
Before buying a crate or x-pen, I would want to know why your previously house-trained dog has begun urinating in the house. It is a simple urine test, and since your dog has recently had a check-up, your vet will probably just need a urine sample rather than a full vet visit.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:54 PM

We were out of state for the winter and I came home for the season and took him to get his yearly shots.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:19 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I didn't expect to get these responses~! He drinks a lot of water and always has. Nothing is wrong with him. We just had our annual checkup and he's fine~!
How do you know nothing is wrong with him? Did your vet do a urinalysis (UA) at that annual? If so, was that done before or after the house peeing started? A UA is always in order if a previously house-trained dog starts peeing in the house. Disease can show up at any time...even right after a vet appointment. Doesn't mean it's not there. Just means the dog wasn't clinically symptomatic when he was examined by the vet or that the issue cause inconveniently occurred after that vet visit.

You are getting precisely the responses you should expect posting on a forum with helpful, knowledgeable people who care about dogs. Ruling out common medical reasons for behavior changes should always be the first step since behavior modification...or inaction as in your approach...has no chance of resolving a medical problem.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:29 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
The only bad thing about a soft crate is if the dog gets anxious when you are gone and he is in it it does not take much to rip a hole in it and get out and good ones are not cheap. Dazzle ruined one I had for my previous dogs when I first got him now he is fine in one if I need to crate him.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:00 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Veggienut, we're not trying to butt into your business or be off-topic with our answers. I'm just going from my own experience and that of others I know. If someone posted, "My dog's been vomiting for days, what's the best product to clean it up?" I'm sure you'd understand posts that were out of the parameters of the question. This isn't as dramatic or obvious, but it still needs a different response from an answer about crates imo.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:43 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
If it's only for a short period of time, go with the smaller crate. He won't mess in there if it's small...but make sure you don't leave him in there incredibly long & make sure he gets plenty of exercise.

I have a yorkie, too. She goes in the house from time to time. I mean, she won't for 5 months and then all of a sudden, there's a spot. Then she won't do it again for months. The vet has found nothing wrong with her...she will be 8 soon and we've never been able to figure it out.

We buy cheap area rugs.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:15 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
id get a metal crate. Its supposed to be like their den.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
id get a metal crate. Its supposed to be like their den.

I have a metal one but it's too heavy and too small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
If it's only for a short period of time, go with the smaller crate. He won't mess in there if it's small...but make sure you don't leave him in there incredibly long & make sure he gets plenty of exercise.

I have a yorkie, too. She goes in the house from time to time. I mean, she won't for 5 months and then all of a sudden, there's a spot. Then she won't do it again for months. The vet has found nothing wrong with her...she will be 8 soon and we've never been able to figure it out.

We buy cheap area rugs.

Thanks for your answer and what I was looking for. Yeah, it is now and then. I know not to leave him long in it and used someone's while away and it worked great. He's comfortable in it and at times I didn't use it because he slept on a pillow he took from me. Mine is almost 9 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Veggienut, we're not trying to butt into your business or be off-topic with our answers. I'm just going from my own experience and that of others I know. If someone posted, "My dog's been vomiting for days, what's the best product to clean it up?" I'm sure you'd understand posts that were out of the parameters of the question. This isn't as dramatic or obvious, but it still needs a different response from an answer about crates imo.

Well, I initially was asking if anyone uses a x-pen or crate and then rolls in comments I was not expecting. Get yourself a Yorkie and you will see how they are different from other dogs~!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs