Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:49 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

I spoke to HIF and there was a resolution for these 2 dogs, though it's probably not the happy ending we were all hoping for.

Today Animal Control came and picked up the 2 pit bulls. They will be kept for a minimum of 7 days after which their days will be numbered. Unfortunately, our Jacksonville Animal Control shelter is a kill-shelter by necessity,it is overflowing with abandoned pets.

There is no discrimination against the dogs for being pit bulls in Jax, but the sad reality is that pit bulls are the hot potato right now as hardly anyone will/can take more in. Our local pit rescues are full, I was in my vet's office today and asked again as a last resort if they knew of any rescues who could take the 2 pits. Sadly, their response was the same one we all hear - the pit rescues are exhausted.

At least one of the pits had worms. A good bet would be tapeworms which are easily treatable, but it is a reminder that these dogs may not have received heartworm preventative which is a HUGE issue for us here in Florida. Without receiving the preventative, there is a very good chance one or both of these dogs could be heartworm positive and it is often recommended that dogs in that condition are put down.

If it turns out the dogs are heartworm negative, then they may be put up for adoption as it seems their temperament is very good.

I know many of you stepped forward with ideas and offers and support and I'm sure HIF is very grateful for that.

At this point, these dogs have a dry place to sleep and food in their bellies which is more than they had previously. There is also a slim chance that something will break for them, so maybe there's a shred of hope.

If anyone is interested in adopting these 2 dogs, please don't waste a minute in contacting myself or HIF and we will get you in touch with Animal Control of Jax.

If I find out anything more, I will share it with you all here. Let's all wish those dogs the best, whatever their fate.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:03 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
I'm sorry I never got back to this thread- I spent a week in bed with a the flu and am now in the coughing, worn out and tired phase. Riveree- Thank you for providing the update.

Here is the link to Animal Care and Control Pets Online Their pix are not posted at this time. The animal control officer told him that they wil be kept for seven days. And yes, please get in touch with me or Riveree ASAP if anyone can adopt one or both of these dogs.

I could tell by my son's voice on the phone yesterday that he was very upset to have had to call the pound. Even though they were so rambunctious that he couldn't get into the yard to clean up after them or play with them, he became attached to "Fat Head"- the big male. (Yes, he became so attached that he named him.) He told me that he had gone online and found a test to determine if a stray has a good temperament- (drop a toy- use a stick to act like you are picking it up, put down food- use a stick to act like you are going to pick up the bowl, etc.). He said the test had three levels and that Fat Head passed every exercise, scoring "best temperament".

Knowing that Monday was his deadline, he fed them two cans of dog food each on Sunday night and he went on about how much they loved it, that they scarfed it up and then just laid down and went to sleep.

It's just so, so sad that anyone could be so irresponsible. And, as we all know, it is played out millions and millions of times a year throughout our country. It makes me wonder why folks are surprised that there is so much human-to-human violence when societally we turn a blind eye to violence and neglect perpetrated agains other living creatures.

Thank you, all. I am now going to ensure that the owner is charged by the city. He already has convictions for animal cruelty and domestic violence. He will not get away with this.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
HIF I hear ya about that flu, it knocked me on my back week before last.
Good for you for going after that owner.
I am sorry that there has been no perfect fairytale ending, but very appreciative of all the efforts made by y'all.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:17 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
I was afraid too much time was elapsing for a happy ending. I kept imagining that I had 2 dogs here, living outside that I couldn't keep and how long I would be able to wait for someone or two someones to step forward.

I know that had to be the hardest thing you had to do. I am so sorry it didn't work out.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:39 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Here is their profile on the A C & C website- the pix don't do either dog justice. I saw the dogs and would not recognize them with these pix.

I'm still willing to help in any way I can. I am terrified of pits, though, (although I have seen them, forced myself to go into the yard alone with them, pet them, hand fed them, gave them water- all with them hovering against me, their wagging tails making their butts swivel back and forth uncontrolably- they are very friendly- that's just my hangup!) so I will do all except actually walk them.

I am a life-long dog owner and IMHO, they are the perfect age to adopt- teenagers- old enough to be quick learners and young enough to develop a strong bond with it's owner.

Here's the female:

PetHarbor.com: Animal Shelter adopt a pet; dogs, cats, puppies, kittens! Humane Society, SPCA. Lost & Found.

The male- "Fat Head" this looks nothing like the guy in RL. He had a gorgeous deep carmel brown coat

PetHarbor.com: Animal Shelter adopt a pet; dogs, cats, puppies, kittens! Humane Society, SPCA. Lost & Found.

Please DM me with a phone number and I'll call.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:48 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times
Very sad! I wish someone will adopt them soon. Seven days are way too short.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:07 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
You're right, HIF, those pics don't do the dogs any justice...they're much more beautiful than that.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times
How about giving them a try?

Safe Harbor Animal Sanctuary & Hospital, a no kill facility (http://safeharbor.jupiterdaily.com/pages/thedirectorsperspective - broken link)

Old 02-29-2008, 03:13 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Sorry to hear this If I was in your area I would take them. I love pits. Have a 8 year old one now and have been around them my whole life as we bred them (for family pets only!) when I was younger. They have a bad reputation, but they truly make great family dogs- and do very well on temperament test

Best of luck with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
My son's neighbor abandoned two adult pit bulls in their back yard with no food, water or shelter. They have torn through the privacy fence into my son's backyard. It took him a few days to realize that the dogs had been abandoned, because the dogs routinely broken through while the guys lived next door.

He figures that the dogs were outside with no food or water for four days. There is a sheriff's notice on the door and one night one of the guys went in late at night to get some things. (maybe a foreclosure? rental skip?)

This is so sad- any ideas what he can do? He has started feeding them, but wants to find homes for them. If he calls animal control, they will probably be euthanized, so he doesn't want to do that.

He doesn't like pits, but says they are very friendly dogs and are really trying to get into the house, even though they are outside dogs.

Any ideas on what he can do?

Old 02-29-2008, 03:16 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,207 times
Try to contact or find a no kill shelter. If they have room they might take them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs