U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:38 PM

9,342 posts, read 16,000,153 times
Default Abandoned pit bulls

My son's neighbor abandoned two adult pit bulls in their back yard with no food, water or shelter. They have torn through the privacy fence into my son's backyard. It took him a few days to realize that the dogs had been abandoned, because the dogs routinely broken through while the guys lived next door.

He figures that the dogs were outside with no food or water for four days. There is a sheriff's notice on the door and one night one of the guys went in late at night to get some things. (maybe a foreclosure? rental skip?)

This is so sad- any ideas what he can do? He has started feeding them, but wants to find homes for them. If he calls animal control, they will probably be euthanized, so he doesn't want to do that.

He doesn't like pits, but says they are very friendly dogs and are really trying to get into the house, even though they are outside dogs.

Any ideas on what he can do?

Old 02-14-2008, 03:45 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,306,858 times
That is truly frustrating. So common to hear of such abuse.

It's hard to say what he can do and it can depend on where he lives as well. He can research easily to find the procedure for animal control. You can find out what shelters and bully rescues that are in his area and see what they would say about the situation. They might be able to give him assistance. Each shelter and rescue have their own rules so you will need to contact all of them. Are they neutered/ spayed?

Though it sucks they went through your son's fence, they were smart to get out of there and find some help.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:02 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,288,839 times
Your son is feeding them now and has them?

You and I are local, so we'll talk more outside of this thread and I'll try to help in whatever way I can.

I hope you can at least get them in the garage tonite.....it's going down to 30 degrees.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:54 AM

5,826 posts, read 5,992,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
It's hard to say what he can do and it can depend on where he lives as well. He can research easily to find the procedure for animal control. Each shelter and rescue have their own rules so you will need to contact all of them.
I can clear this up in a NY instant. If they are obviously pits, animal control with euthanize - no exceptions.

Let me tell you about something that happened a little over a decade ago at a Florida Humane Society.

This couple are traveling in a travel trailer with their pit bull. The dog was not only part of their family but part of their act. The three of them went from one tourist town to the next performing where ever they could find and gather a crowd. The man would make a big circle with his arms and the dog would jump through the circle. The woman would stand tall, hold a dollar bill in her mouth and the dog would jump up and snatch it. An upturned hat was always by the crowd for donations for the entertainment.

Did I mention the dog was dressed in a clown hat and ballerina tutu? Doesn't sound like much, but this was how they made their living.

So they are in FL and on the road when they are involved in an accident. It's a bad one. The couple are transported to a hospital and need treatment for broken arm, ribs and I don't remember what else. They told authorities about their dog and that their pet likely needed attention too - but there was no dog in the vehicle when the ambulance got there. So apparently, their pet had scurried off after the collision.

The newspaper ran an article about the missing dog, how it became missing and that it was part of an act - and it shouldn't be hard to spot if it were still wearing a ballerina tutu. The couple called animal control every day - sometimes a couple times during the day. No luck. It was announced on the radio every day. Nothing. The dog had simply vanished.

When the woman got out of the hospital, she went straight to animal control to look for herself, perhaps the people there just didn't recognize the dog they had as the one they were looking for. She went in, asked about a pit bull and gave the exact day and location of the collision. She was told, with absolutely no feelings or tone of remorse that animal control has a policy of euthanizing dangerous dogs in three days of being picked up if nobody comes forward to claim it - and there had been a pit brought in late on the day of the accident - and euthanized three days later.

The woman fell apart, composed herself, went back to the hospital to tell her husband who then called the newspaper and the radio station that had been broadcasting the missing clown-dog. It was not good public relations for animal control. This was not Animal Cops on Animal Planet. I recall a radio broadcaster asking how in the world the folks at animal control could live with themselves - don't they have radioes or look at a newspaper once in a while - ever? The story of this missing pit bull had been on the front page of a major newspaper.

Anyway, an attorney stepped up to the plate and wanted to represent the couple in a lawsuit against animal control and the animal shelter that was all a part of animal control operations. Animal control offered to settle out of court by offering the couple a used car, another travel trailer and the dog of their choice from the pound. They took the offer, adopted a sheltie and departed.

It would not surprise me in the least if the powers that be think everyone has forgotten about that incident and has resumed their pit bull killing policy.

So trust me, never take a put bull to the animal shelter and never call animal control about one - or two. A pit bull rescue is the only way to go for these dogs.

If you're interested in specifics, send me a DM and I will disclose which animal control and humane society it was.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:05 AM

Our local Humane Society is a no-kill shelter, but will only accept pets and require proof via vet bills, etc. Animal Control here euthanizes quickly, but does not automatically euthanize pits, as some shelters do.

Unfortunately, it looks as though he is running out of options.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/pitwhite2.jpg (broken link)

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/pit3.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-15-2008, 09:23 AM

5,826 posts, read 5,992,148 times
Is the white one missing an eye?

Old 02-15-2008, 09:47 AM

No, she has both eyes, but one is brown and one is blue.

Just checked the dog's owner out on Clerk of Court website. The guy
has been convicted of domestic violence and animal abuse.

The male pit is not neutered and the pit's owner had been feeding a
stray cat in the neighborhood......I'm getting a sick feeling in my
stomach and don't know which would be worse- for him to return and
get them or for them to be put down.

Let's hope someone will take these dogs in.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I can clear this up in a NY instant. If they are obviously pits, animal control with euthanize - no exceptions.

Let me tell you about something that happened a little over a decade ago at a Florida Humane Society.

This couple are traveling in a travel trailer with their pit bull. The dog was not only part of their family but part of their act. The three of them went from one tourist town to the next performing where ever they could find and gather a crowd. The man would make a big circle with his arms and the dog would jump through the circle. The woman would stand tall, hold a dollar bill in her mouth and the dog would jump up and snatch it. An upturned hat was always by the crowd for donations for the entertainment.

Did I mention the dog was dressed in a clown hat and ballerina tutu? Doesn't sound like much, but this was how they made their living.

So they are in FL and on the road when they are involved in an accident. It's a bad one. The couple are transported to a hospital and need treatment for broken arm, ribs and I don't remember what else. They told authorities about their dog and that their pet likely needed attention too - but there was no dog in the vehicle when the ambulance got there. So apparently, their pet had scurried off after the collision.

The newspaper ran an article about the missing dog, how it became missing and that it was part of an act - and it shouldn't be hard to spot if it were still wearing a ballerina tutu. The couple called animal control every day - sometimes a couple times during the day. No luck. It was announced on the radio every day. Nothing. The dog had simply vanished.

When the woman got out of the hospital, she went straight to animal control to look for herself, perhaps the people there just didn't recognize the dog they had as the one they were looking for. She went in, asked about a pit bull and gave the exact day and location of the collision. She was told, with absolutely no feelings or tone of remorse that animal control has a policy of euthanizing dangerous dogs in three days of being picked up if nobody comes forward to claim it - and there had been a pit brought in late on the day of the accident - and euthanized three days later.

The woman fell apart, composed herself, went back to the hospital to tell her husband who then called the newspaper and the radio station that had been broadcasting the missing clown-dog. It was not good public relations for animal control. This was not Animal Cops on Animal Planet. I recall a radio broadcaster asking how in the world the folks at animal control could live with themselves - don't they have radioes or look at a newspaper once in a while - ever? The story of this missing pit bull had been on the front page of a major newspaper.

Anyway, an attorney stepped up to the plate and wanted to represent the couple in a lawsuit against animal control and the animal shelter that was all a part of animal control operations. Animal control offered to settle out of court by offering the couple a used car, another travel trailer and the dog of their choice from the pound. They took the offer, adopted a sheltie and departed.

It would not surprise me in the least if the powers that be think everyone has forgotten about that incident and has resumed their pit bull killing policy.

So trust me, never take a put bull to the animal shelter and never call animal control about one - or two. A pit bull rescue is the only way to go for these dogs.

If you're interested in specifics, send me a DM and I will disclose which animal control and humane society it was.
Thanks Alice. I'm glad you shared that with us. I'll keep that in mind and hopefully this will spread the word.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:53 AM

HIF, don't give up yet. There's people that can help. If it comes down to it, then he will do what he has to do, but there's enough people here that can find options.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:56 AM

Deeg-

She's giving you a high five for the words of encouragement!

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/pitwhite.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs