Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 02:38 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times

Advertisements

Belgrade boy recovering after being attacked by a dog - KXLH.com | Helena, Montana

This came across our local news yesterday (happened in a town about 1 hour away). They did not disclose the breed until today.

Not that it means anything, any dog can attack. It struck me odd it was a minnie Aussie. Not a breed one would associate with an attack. A bite, but not an attack. It looks like that young kid was pretty messed up by that dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 02:48 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
...any dog can attack.
I wish more people understood this! Unstable and dangerous dogs can exist in any breed.

Quote:
It looks like that young kid was pretty messed up by that dog.
That kid's lucky he wasn't killed.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:51 PM

1,166 posts, read 754,663 times
All dogs are carnivorous predators. I think sometimes people forget this when they are dealing with the toy and small breeds. Every dog is capable of doing serious damage to a human if they want to.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:13 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
When I was young, I was deathly afraid of a chihuahua. Every time I would try to walk in the door of my neighbor's house, the dog would start snarling and lunging. They would have to confine her the entire time I was there.

People think it's funny when I tell that story (how could you be afraid of a chihuahua?) but I remind them that all she would have had to do was jump on a table or chair in order to rip off my face. And she had a mind to do it. She was like a canine Chucky.

It isn't the breed or the size of a dog that matters but its temperament.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:35 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
Aussies are a tough herding breed, and control by bites, and latching on as well. Hard to say what happened to trigger this attack, but obviously- the dog was trying to control the child.
While not a recognized breed with the AKC, even the written standard as it is shows caution having this breed around small children. Even with training, they still can nip etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniat...alian_Shepherd

Old 05-11-2016, 07:25 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Before the internet Small dogs of all breeds were listed as the most dog bites. No one Died. The big dogs get the most attention cause they Can & Have Killed.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:35 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,083 times
Why are they breeding a dog with this temperament??
Obviously this is not a guard or police type dog.
The appearance and size of this dog is misleading.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:08 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Why are they breeding a dog with this temperament??
Unfortunately not everyone who breeds dogs pays attention to the importance of proper temperament. Even worse, many small dog fanciers seem to think aggression coming from a small dog is "cute."

StarlaJane, you must have grown up next to the same neighbor I did! . The nastiest dog in my childhood neighborhood was a Chihuahua. She would flat-out attack any visitor, and my neighbors had to lock her up any time company came over. And my grandmother owned an equally vicious Toy Poodle, who had to be crated any time we visited. Aggression in small dogs is not cute, and can be flat-out dangerous when children or the elderly, who may not be capable of defending themselves, are at risk.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:19 AM

1,166 posts, read 754,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Unfortunately not everyone who breeds dogs pays attention to the importance of proper temperament. Even worse, many small dog fanciers seem to think aggression coming from a small dog is "cute."

StarlaJane, you must have grown up next to the same neighbor I did! . The nastiest dog in my childhood neighborhood was a Chihuahua. She would flat-out attack any visitor, and my neighbors had to lock her up any time company came over. And my grandmother owned an equally vicious Toy Poodle, who had to be crated any time we visited. Aggression in small dogs is not cute, and can be flat-out dangerous when children or the elderly, who may not be capable of defending themselves, are at risk.

I have seen this stupidity firsthand. A friend of mine has a Pomeranian mix that growls and bites almost everyone that enters the house, they just laugh and actually record videos of their tiny dog acting tough. If my GSD even looked at them wrong, they would freak out and ask me to lock him up.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:46 AM

155 posts, read 164,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I have seen this stupidity firsthand. A friend of mine has a Pomeranian mix that growls and bites almost everyone that enters the house, they just laugh and actually record videos of their tiny dog acting tough. If my GSD even looked at them wrong, they would freak out and ask me to lock him up.
This happens all the with us. The lady down the road has this little maltese named Buddy and it always tries to attack our pit bull. The owner just laughs it off and says "oh buddy, be nice!". If this was our pit bull attacking her dog, she would be calling the cops telling them we have a vicious dog that needs to be put down.

It really annoys me when I see people with small aggressive dogs and they think its funny or cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs