U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:25 PM

38,112 posts, read 46,967,102 times

Advertisements

My adopted dachshund is a good eater, but he does pick around the chunks in his food. I am happy to buy whatever he likes best, but they never put what the food looks like on the bag.
I feed him Purina with chunks and little squiggles (not the official name, haha). He loves the little squiggles, but not the chunks. Eventually, he eats them, but I want to buy what he will like the most.
I know there are small bites for small dogs, which he might like, but unless there are samples, I hate to buy a big bag that he won't like.
If you have small dogs, what brand of food does your dog love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 08:44 PM

1,346 posts, read 846,927 times
What if you soak the food in water for 5 minutes before you give it to him? Maybe he likes soft food or something in it might be upsetting his stomach? Not to be gross but if his poops aren't somewhat solid and easy to pass, that could be a sign his body isn't agreeing with the food.

We don't have small dogs but I find the less grains, more meat, and stinkier the food is, the more they like it! We have tried a bunch but now feed them a fish based food because it's good for their skin. There's a few dog food review sites out there that can tell you about good ingredients.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:53 AM

124 posts, read 70,725 times
We have fed our MinPins & Italian Greyhound grain free for years. They like Taste of the Wild salmon. The kibble is not too big or too small. They do really well on it. Beautiful coats & not a lot of waste to clean up.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:36 AM

18,956 posts, read 5,067,740 times
Pekingese....Blue Buffalo small breed.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:57 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,756,774 times
Our two small dogs eat Tractor Supply's 4Health Grain Free Small Bites and Grain Free Chicken/Vegetables. They like it well enough. A bit of chicken broth on it and they gobble it all up.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:14 AM

38,112 posts, read 46,967,102 times
I know I could put something tempting on it, but I don't want to start that, and it shouldn't be necessary, I just wish that dog foods had a picture of what the food looks like on the outside of the bag.
I have always bought him Purina One Smart Blend Lamb and Rice, because he likes the squiggles in it. At first I bought the grain free, but now I can't seem to find it. He has nice solid, small poops with it.

Anyway, I will try some of your suggestions. I am a bit reluctant to spend $20+ a bag, when all our other dogs have done so well on reasonably priced Purina One, but if I have to I will.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:30 AM

5,626 posts, read 5,264,015 times
Purina ONEĀ® SmartblendĀ® True Instinct Adult Dog Food - Grain Free, Chicken & Sweet Potato | Dry Food | PetSmart

------
We have 4 dogs and only 1 is small. She eats what the rest do. When we first got her, she has to have soft food but now does fine.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:12 PM

487 posts, read 599,122 times
I have a Maltipoo and a Shih Tzu. They eat Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain (only at Costco, but worth the membership price for this alone). It has very high ratings on Dog Food Analysis .com and it's very reasonably priced. They like Turkey the best, but I usually rotate it with Salmon.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:01 PM

5,036 posts, read 14,692,425 times
I fed my 8lb Dachshund/Toy Poodle mix Nutro Small Breed until she needed prescription dog food for kidney issues.

My current dog, is a 12lb Poodle mix. I adopted her about 1.5 yrs ago. I thought she would need food with smaller kibble. So I bought her that. She used to gulp her food, then puke. So I bought her a slow feeder bowl to slow down her eating so that she doesn't puke so often. I also switched her food to Wellness Simple Limited-Ingredient Salmon & Potato. The kibble is larger. I was hoping she'd actually take the time to chew it rather than swallow it whole. Sometimes she chews, sometimes she doesn't. Her gulping has slowed a bit & the puking is now more rare.

I too wish we pet owners could see the kibble size in the bag before purchase. Some bags do have a clear plastic area to see through. Further, I wish manufacturers would sell their foods in 2lb bags so we can buy samples for our dogs.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:19 PM

14,279 posts, read 7,805,273 times
Most boutique pet stores have food sample bags available if you ask for them. I mostly home cook but whenever I have a chance, I will use those little free bags of kibble as treats. My dogs get such a great variety of foods that they aren't picky. Oftentimes, my fosters come in a little picky about their kibble and I will mix it with some canned or add some of the homemade dog food as a topper to entice them. I gradually phase out the enticement and have them on kibble alone by the time they get adopted. If you do feed just dry food, make sure they are getting enough water.

Another website is dogfoodadvisor.com and whole dog journal does annual reviews on dog foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or