Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:34 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

I've got two high-energy herding boys. I was thinking down the line I would get them a little female terrier mix as a companion and as a sport dog for me (the other dog people who know them think this is a perfect fit). However, recently, I was thinking that a schipperke might be a good choice. Has anyone had any personal experience with these dogs? I've known one mix and taken a demo class with one (who was amazing - a service dog and competition dog).

I never thought I'd go to a breeder again after getting so lucky with my two rescues, but doing a search on Petfinder revealed absolutely no Schipperkes.

Any thoughts about this breed? Is it really that rare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 11:56 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I like them but had the misfortune to buy a pup sired by one of the top dogs in the country. Unfortunately, that dog was passing on epilepsy and it didn't show up until after I had bred my dog and had a litter. Both my dog and his pup were affected badly enough that they had to be put down.

A little female that came from a different breeder didn't have so much as a single health issue up until she finally died of old age.

They are lovely dogs. More like a shepherd instead of a terrier. They will protect you, your family, and your possessions. All of mine had excellent judgement and were great with strangers, but if the dog didn't like someone, grab onto your wallet and back away, because there was something wrong with that person's intentions.

They have a reputation of being runaways, but I never had any problems with teaching mine to come when called. I wouldn't leave one loose and unsupervised outside a fence, but I wouldn't leave any dog loose outside a fence.

They can be stubborn if you try to bully them, but are easy to train if you are reasonable and explain what you want.

Grooming is really easy.

They will hunt vermin, which I consider to be a plus. All of mine were excellent with my child, although my child was good with dogs, so I don't know how one would do with one of those unsupervised dog torturing kids that always have parents that are so proud of them and their mistreatment of animals.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:34 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I've got two high-energy herding boys. I was thinking down the line I would get them a little female terrier mix as a companion and as a sport dog for me (the other dog people who know them think this is a perfect fit). However, recently, I was thinking that a schipperke might be a good choice. Has anyone had any personal experience with these dogs? I've known one mix and taken a demo class with one (who was amazing - a service dog and competition dog).

I never thought I'd go to a breeder again after getting so lucky with my two rescues, but doing a search on Petfinder revealed absolutely no Schipperkes.

Any thoughts about this breed? Is it really that rare?
Oregon gave you a good synopsis. I knew a couple agility Schips...nice running dogs...owned and loved by friends of mine. The only heads up is that they tend to be more independent than your herding breeds but not as much as, say, a hound.

I've fantasized between a Schip, Pap and Rat Terrier for when I downsize to that degree. They all make great sport dogs although I'd put the Pap and the Rat above the Schip. Rats don't have quite as much of the "terror" temperament as most other terriers and are sturdier than Paps. I can't believe I'd ever do a terrier but I am leaning Rat.

I really like this website for breed info. Schipperkes: What's Good About 'Em? What's Bad About 'Em? My friends would concur on the "strong-willed" description...their Schips were not as reliable as their BCs in the agility ring. But when they were on they were so on.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke;44117371[B
]I like them but had the misfortune to buy a pup sired by one of the top dogs in the country. Unfortunately, that dog was passing on epilepsy and it didn't show up until after I had bred my dog and had a litter. Both my dog and his pup were affected badly enough that they had to be put down.[/b]

A little female that came from a different breeder didn't have so much as a single health issue up until she finally died of old age.

They are lovely dogs. More like a shepherd instead of a terrier. They will protect you, your family, and your possessions. All of mine had excellent judgement and were great with strangers, but if the dog didn't like someone, grab onto your wallet and back away, because there was something wrong with that person's intentions.

They have a reputation of being runaways, but I never had any problems with teaching mine to come when called. I wouldn't leave one loose and unsupervised outside a fence, but I wouldn't leave any dog loose outside a fence.

They can be stubborn if you try to bully them, but are easy to train if you are reasonable and explain what you want.

Grooming is really easy.

They will hunt vermin, which I consider to be a plus. All of mine were excellent with my child, although my child was good with dogs, so I don't know how one would do with one of those unsupervised dog torturing kids that always have parents that are so proud of them and their mistreatment of animals.
Oh that's awful. So sorry to hear that.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:30 PM

1,166 posts, read 754,663 times
I knew someone that handled them professionally in the show ring and I spent a lot of time with several of them over the years. They are basically miniature herding dogs, very similar to a Border Collie or Australian Shepherd in terms of energy and personality. Much more headstrong and stubborn though, training is not quite as easy. Some can be yappers too.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:43 AM

Sounds like exactly the kind of dog I want! Because apparently I'm a sucker for an ornery dog.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:05 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Sounds like exactly the kind of dog I want! Because apparently I'm a sucker for an ornery dog.
Word around my place is that we love the naughty dogs because it is the naughty ones who always end up the favorite (speaking about you, Wyatt McRiot)

Old 05-20-2016, 01:37 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
I've heard that Schipperkes can be very long-lived.

I've met one Schipperke; so I would definitely not judge the entire breed by her behavior; but she was rather obnoxious toward my dog (who was polite and not very interested in her). She was on-leash and would not stop barking and lunging towards him; and not in a happy-excited way. Her owner said that the dog was a rescue and did have some dog aggression issues.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:48 PM

1,166 posts, read 754,663 times
Quote:

I think they are great dogs, I would describe them as lovably mischievous. They will keep you on your toes for sure, but are a ton of fun for the right owner. They are also some of the best watch dogs you will find, despite their size they think they are ferocious beasts.

For a fan of herding dogs and as a small companion for two other herding dogs, a Schipperke would be a great choice.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I think they are great dogs, I would describe them as lovably mischievous. They will keep you on your toes for sure, but are a ton of fun for the right owner. They are also some of the best watch dogs you will find, despite their size they think they are ferocious beasts.

For a fan of herding dogs and as a small companion for two other herding dogs, a Schipperke would be a great choice.
Yes, the Catahoula LOVES little dogs and small puppies. His feelings were visibly hurt when my mother's Pom would have nothing to do with him. The kelpie mix is insanely playful, so I would like a dog that could roughhouse with him. And I just kind of want a smaller dog for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs