Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 PM

11 posts, read 14,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
When she Potties Dose she give you any signals or does she just go?
She doesn't give any signals, she just goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 05:02 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack2016 View Post
8 months old, not 18. She's been to two vets, both of whom found nothing.

Every time she has an accident I clean it up promptly and with the proper cleaning solutions. There is no scent left because I use enzymatic cleaners.
As for the animal behaviorist, I've asked, and I have been told that it is just stubbornness because of the breed. So my whole question is, what are some other ways to house train, because treats and praise immediately after she goes, while we are outside, have absolutely no effect on her. It worked perfectly for my other dog. He will go to the door and let me know he needs to go outside. If it's the middle of the night, he'll either hold it, or he'll wake me up by gently nuzzling me and then motion to the door.
Aha- 8 months- got it. I misread that part. That clearly changes things a bit.

Who is saying it is "just stubbornness"? If it is your vet, you may want to find another vet.

Dogs aren't "stubborn" in the sense we think of it- they do things because they get some kind of reinforcement for it (whether positive or negative), they don't understand yet what we want (training needs to be clear to HER), or because there is a physical or behavioral element.

Yes, agree with 2sleepy that you need to tether her to you so that you can immediately interrupt the behavior if you see her sniffing/looking for a spot to go. Try to pre-empt her going inside by getting her out more often. Some dogs do take longer to house train than others.

Keep using the enzymatic cleaner. The thing I really like about Anti-Icky-Poo is that it neutralizes odor by using odor-eating bacteria, so you don't need to worry about getting every single spot or having it soak down thoroughly enough because as long as you don't use a disinfectant when you initially clean a mess, the bacteria will eliminate the odor.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep it up. I know it is frustrating but try to be patient and focus on the big picture- she will get it, hopefully soon.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:48 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
I am no expert but I highly doubt it is due to stubbornness. More likely it is submissive behavior toward you and the other dog, since she is low on totem pole. Do not scold her when she pees in the house because that promotes the submissive behavior. Instead be nice to her and take her out immediately. Better yet, keep her crated when inside or in a pen, or put in a doggie door and teach her to use it. If she is not crated inside have her tethered to you so you can be aware of her at all times.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:49 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Did you say you were free feeding her? If so, try just giving her the appropriate amount twice a day and not in between. Also I think you can stop feeding puppy food now. I quit feeding puppy food much younger than her. And she may be allergic to something in the food you are giving her. Try something else. What are you feeding now?

My current Aussie went occasionally in the house until he was about 10-11 mos. old. I thought he would never stop but he finally did. Previous Aussies were always house trained by 12 weeks or so.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:38 AM

5,518 posts, read 7,109,883 times
I had the same problem with my Bernese Mountain Dog. I got him at 10wks and he pooped and peed in the crate for a year. I think he was about 14 months when he actually stopped doing it. So you have to be patient, some dogs take longer than others to get over that habit. Didn't read all the posts here, so no sure how often you're feeding him? I would suggest one feeding at dinner time. This way the dogs will usually poop it out 12 hours later and when you let him out in the morning he should eliminate all that's inside.
I wouldn't waste my time on those enzyme cleaners as I used them often and the dog would go anyway. I just got used to taking the tray out the back door and hosing it off.

I totally feel for you as I went through it and it was hell. I must have had half a dozen ads on Craigslist to rehome him as my patience wore thin. Once I started getting replies I deleted the ads. I just couldn't give up on him and hope that you wont either.

They will out grow it. Then you can throw out the nasty crate lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs