Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 03:58 PM

10 posts, read 2,300,915 times

Advertisements

I live in NJ. Can anyone recommend a great goldendoodle breeder? It's so difficult to find one whose parent dogs have been health tested plus the 2 year health guarantee. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 11:39 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Absolutely not. If you have your heart set on owning a mutt, try your local animal shelter.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:04 AM

2,769 posts, read 404,735 times
That's just a designer dog which is really a mutt with a big price tag.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyhome View Post
I live in NJ. Can anyone recommend a great goldendoodle breeder? It's so difficult to find one whose parent dogs have been health tested plus the 2 year health guarantee. Thank you!
If you are seeking a goldendoodle (or any designer breed based on Poodle) because you want a dog that doesn't shed, you may be hugely disappointed and for an obscene price tag. Some don't shed much but others shed a lot. It's a crapshoot and any doodle breeder who tells you otherwise is lying. It's a masterful fraud pulled on the American public. But then we are a culture that believes what we want to hear so we make it easy for the fraudsters.

If you are seeking a goldendoodle because you want a hypoallergenic dog, you may be hugely disappointed and for an obscene price tag. Goldens are not considered hypoallergenic plus allergy is a very individual response...some people with allergies react to some dogs and not to others. An individual dog may incite an allergic response in one allergic person and hardly any response at all in another allergic person. And that all may change as the pup matures and develops their adult coat/skin physiology.

Do an advanced search on C-D using "goldendoodle" as your search phrase and search in the Dogs forum. You'll find lots of posts, some with links to informative articles...all stuff you should read before making your decision.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=23702553

Consider a Standard Poodle (SP) if you want a larger, low shed dog. They are very smart and do not require any more grooming than your average goldendoodle. Some goldendoodles are actually harder to groom than Poodles because they inherit both the Poodle's continually growing coat and the Golden's shedding undercoat, the combination of which creates a coat that matts very easily and is challenging to brush out. I have two groomer friends and they both say the doodles are the hardest to groom of all their clients. There are a couple cuts that look very basic so your Poodle does not have to look like a show dog. Standard Poodles do have some health issues, however, which means that your goldendoodle may have them also. SPs are tough dogs...a friend of mine breeds fabulous SPs that rival other hunting breed dogs at hunt competitions. Her dogs also herd.

I realize my post did not answer your question. Sorry. But I know so many people who have been hoodwinked by the doodle craze that I cannot in good conscience lurk without responding to a post such as yours. I hope you reconsider.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:55 PM

27 posts, read 56,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Consider a Standard Poodle (SP) if you want a larger, low shed dog. They are very smart and do not require any more grooming than your average goldendoodle. Some goldendoodles are actually harder to groom than Poodles because they inherit both the Poodle's continually growing coat and the Golden's shedding undercoat, the combination of which creates a coat that matts very easily and is challenging to brush out. I have two groomer friends and they both say the doodles are the hardest to groom of all their clients. There are a couple cuts that look very basic so your Poodle does not have to look like a show dog. Standard Poodles do have some health issues, however, which means that your goldendoodle may have them also. SPs are tough dogs...a friend of mine breeds fabulous SPs that rival other hunting breed dogs at hunt competitions. Her dogs also herd.
I went looking for a small dog to adopt on CL and wound up with a cockapoo/mini dachshund mix. You're absolutely right about the coat + grooming, although I didn't realize it was a product of her heritage. She has spaniel ears with silky fur(like you would see on a cocker or a caviler king charles), her head has corkscrew curls if I let it grow long enough, and her body it fluffy, poodly hair. If I don't keep her trimmed + brushed, she gets terrible matts, and I just found one even with all of that.

That said, I'm allergic to EVERYTHING-- as far as animals, my mom's cat, rabbits, birds. And it doesn't matter what I do with her, how long I hold her, or if I bury my face in her fur. Not an itch or a sneeze. But she doesn't shed at all. Didn't know that was a coin toss.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnSun View Post
I went looking for a small dog to adopt on CL and wound up with a cockapoo/mini dachshund mix. You're absolutely right about the coat + grooming, although I didn't realize it was a product of her heritage. She has spaniel ears with silky fur(like you would see on a cocker or a caviler king charles), her head has corkscrew curls if I let it grow long enough, and her body it fluffy, poodly hair. If I don't keep her trimmed + brushed, she gets terrible matts, and I just found one even with all of that.

That said, I'm allergic to EVERYTHING-- as far as animals, my mom's cat, rabbits, birds. And it doesn't matter what I do with her, how long I hold her, or if I bury my face in her fur. Not an itch or a sneeze. But she doesn't shed at all. Didn't know that was a coin toss.
I'd say you won the coin toss even though she matts so easily.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:25 PM

122 posts, read 124,829 times
Quote:
Of course, I'm biased - but for good reason. A Standard Poodle from a reputable breeder can literally do it all.

As far as grooming, I am surprised that a lot of people don't realize that you can clip a Poodle into a doodle like clip. The teddy bear clip is very popular with Minis and Toys in Asia. And here is a picture of a male Standard whose owner is a very outdoorsy guy.

goldendoodle breeder: northeast-river.jpg

(I hoped this worked - first time I've attached a picture)

Old 06-02-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standards13 View Post
Of course, I'm biased - but for good reason. A Standard Poodle from a reputable breeder can literally do it all.

As far as grooming, I am surprised that a lot of people don't realize that you can clip a Poodle into a doodle like clip. The teddy bear clip is very popular with Minis and Toys in Asia. And here is a picture of a male Standard whose owner is a very outdoorsy guy.

Attachment 170519

(I hoped this worked - first time I've attached a picture)
Agree 100%.

Nice cut. Thanks for posting the pic.

BTW, my friend who breeds SPs lost one of her dogs to dense brush while hunting. The dog broke his neck charging into that brush after a bird. Tragically sad story but it exemplifies the drive that some Poodles have for hunt and completely debunks the myth that Poodles are sissy dogs. He died quickly, doing what he loved best. You may know the dog, Standards13, since you're sort of in my geographical area.

I cannot understand people who opt for a large doodle over a Standard Poodle. The SP wins in every category hands down.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:00 PM

122 posts, read 124,829 times
Quote:
You may know the dog, Standards13, since you're sort of in my geographical area.
Yes, I do know the dog. His owner/your friend said the exact same thing you did: He died doing what he loved.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:42 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyhome View Post
I would call reputable vet's in your area, or inquire in the NJ / NY / PA sections of this site.

Good luck on your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs