Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 11:46 AM

141 posts, read 171,706 times

Advertisements

I'm neighbors with a city board member's entitled granddaughter. She is too lazy to walk her dog, so she turns him out unrestrained. Animal control picked the dog up once, but she got him right back. When I walk my dog, her dog follows us growling and barking. My dog finally had enough, so he turned around and snapped at her dog. I know that if my dog bites her dog, it will be my fault, fair or not. I now walk with a camcorder and pepper spray. Obviously, I need an alternative way of handling this situation. How do you make unrestrained dogs go away and if they start fighting, how do you make them stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 12:40 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
This thread was started back in May, Don6170 (post #3) had a nice link I read too, offering good advice.
Good luck, sounds like after a few citations given out by Animal Control, the dog may be deemed dangerous. Then they'll take him and they won't get him back.
How Do You Stop an Aggressive Dog From Killing Another Dog?

Old 06-11-2016, 01:05 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildridge View Post
I'm neighbors with a city board member's entitled granddaughter. She is too lazy to walk her dog, so she turns him out unrestrained. Animal control picked the dog up once, but she got him right back. When I walk my dog, her dog follows us growling and barking. My dog finally had enough, so he turned around and snapped at her dog. I know that if my dog bites her dog, it will be my fault, fair or not. I now walk with a camcorder and pepper spray. Obviously, I need an alternative way of handling this situation. How do you make unrestrained dogs go away and if they start fighting, how do you make them stop?
If your dog is leashed and hers is loose, how is it your or your dog's fault if your dog snaps at her dog?

Take pictures of her dog out running loose and send them with a certified letter describing the situation and expressing your concern for your and your dogs safety. And then call animal control any time her dog is out loose.

You handle a fight by preventing it in the first place. Don't look at or acknowledge the other dog; eye contact is construed as threatening, as are movements to shoo away- just ignore and go your way. Most dogs are territorial, so walk your dog out of the other dog's range as quickly as possible. Carry extra stinky yummy treats to keep your dog focused on you while you walk out of range, and if need be, if the other dog is behaving aggressively, then you can toss treats in his path to distract him.

Keep your body between your dog and the loose dog, doing leash side changes as needed.

As a last resort, if the dog has hackles up and is in an aggressive frozen posture with lips drawn back, use the pepper spray before a fight starts- once a fight begins things move so fast you won't be able to aim with accuracy. Whatever you do don't grab the other dog's collar, rather grab a hind leg (both is better) and swing the dog away from your dog, and put yourself between the dogs, and exit the area while calling animal control.

BTW- if a fight starts, you need to break it up, not film it. Another dog can do a lot of really expensive life threatening damage to your dog in a matter of seconds (NOT an exaggeration), so prevention is key.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:47 PM

141 posts, read 171,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
This thread was started back in May, Don6170 (post #3) had a nice link I read too, offering good advice.
Good luck, sounds like after a few citations given out by Animal Control, the dog may be deemed dangerous. Then they'll take him and they won't get him back.
How Do You Stop an Aggressive Dog From Killing Another Dog?
Thanks for finding that thread for me. I searched for something similar, but I was using the wrong keywords.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:29 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
I'm assuming you think your dog will be blamed because its owner is a board member? Because under normal, unbiased circumstances, the law will side with a leashed dog over an unleashed dog. Of course, either way you don't want to see your dog get hurt (or the other dog either, when it's the owner who's at fault, not the dog).

Old 06-12-2016, 06:20 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
This is how I deal with an aggressive loose dog in my neighborhood: I don't walk my dogs anywhere near where that dog lives. If it means getting in the car and going elsewhere to walk, so be it. It doesn't matter to me that I am morally in the right if my dog ends up severely injured so I stay away.

Loose aggressive dogs should be reported as aggressive, not as running loose. Report that he rushed at you and growled, not that he is unconfined. If you don't get any satisfaction from animal control, start sending letters to the mayor and if that doesn't work, start sending letters to the local newspaper. If that still doesn't work, then send video to the local news station. They aren't interested in loose dogs but they might be interested in a city board member who uses influence to endanger the public.

Make all of your complaints in writing. Every complaint should mention that the dog comes after you, growling.

City politicians don't like to be embarrassed, so if you make enough noise, something will be done about the dog.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:31 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
IF all else fails send the pictures & information to the Local Newspaper IF there is a Leash Law.....

Old 06-12-2016, 05:27 PM

83 posts, read 114,744 times
Have proof that the dog walks loose, such as pictures.

Buy dog repellant off Amazon. They are like pepper spray but for dog deterrant.

If a dog fight happens and the other dog wont let go of your dog, put your finger in it's butt. You'll see how fast he'll let go.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:36 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael View Post
Have proof that the dog walks loose, such as pictures.

Buy dog repellant off Amazon. They are like pepper spray but for dog deterrant.

If a dog fight happens and the other dog wont let go of your dog, put your finger in it's butt. You'll see how fast he'll let go.
Lmao...

Keep reporting the loose dog to animal control. The owner will eventually get a citation or lose her dog if she is sick of paying the pound fee. It's a shame for the dog but it is what it is in order to stay safe.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:14 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
The problem with any sprays is that you have to be sure you're downwind or you may get yourself and your dog sprayed by mistake.

I now use one of these when I take my dog walking in the park. It's long enough that I dontn have to be too close to the dog -- and, often, just the noise is enough to scare off any aggressive dogs:

https://www.amazon.com/Walking-Cane-...words=zap+cane

https://www.amazon.com/Zap-Defense-F...words=zap+cane

http://www.fashionablecanes.com/92005.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs