Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 09:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

I've only had one dog and it was an Australian Shepherd. She was a phenomenal animal. I'd like to get another one, but she would be alone during the day.

What have you noticed or what do you know about them? I've noticed that some are skittish and that some are aloof to people apart from their immediate family, though very few have been mean. How are they with little kids? (My friend has a dog that has been less than friendly with his newborns). They are extremely intelligent. How much yard do they need? They're not THAT big.

What have you observed about Aussies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 12:48 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
They are very high energy dogs. Because they are so smart they get bored easily. Bored dogs get themselves into trouble.

If you work may I suggest an older dog rather than a puppy?

Old 02-17-2008, 12:14 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,570 times
I have Australian Sheperd puppy that is 6 month and she is so smart,energetic,loves to play and mouthy(talks a lot). I have a 4 year and 8 year old girls. It was hard at first because puppy loves to chew and she would constantly be using her mouth on the girls. We had to teach her not to do that. My littlest one has pull the ears, pull short stub tail,poke her eyes and play ruff with her and my dog never snip at the girls when that does happen. She puts up with it. She is the greatest dog. She keeps an eye on the girls all the time and loves to watch out of the window. You can tell she is a working dog because she is constantly watching the whole family. She hates to be left out. She loves car rides, loves to be indoor and outdoor. It really depends on what your wanting. If you have question please asked.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 PM

352 posts, read 482,836 times
If you are in So CA, here is the link to the Australian Shepherd Rescue

Aussie Rescue in Southern California

Also check out your local animal shelters, sometimes people don't understand the breed and turn them into the shelter. Aussies are very intelligent and active. Sometimes if they get bored they get destructive.

Good Luck !

Old 05-22-2008, 09:26 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I've only had one dog and it was an Australian Shepherd. She was a phenomenal animal. I'd like to get another one, but she would be alone during the day.

What have you noticed or what do you know about them? I've noticed that some are skittish and that some are aloof to people apart from their immediate family, though very few have been mean. How are they with little kids? (My friend has a dog that has been less than friendly with his newborns). They are extremely intelligent. How much yard do they need? They're not THAT big.

What have you observed about Aussies?
Their qualities are their quirks!

lots of brains mean trouble or lots of fun ...they need someone to be home alot during the day or major activity after you get home from work.

They are brilliant and you have to be careful that their brains are used ALWAYS! Ours has been taught to put laundry in the hamper, ...we say "tricks" and he performs about five in a row, ....he picks up his toys ...but my gosh if a wheels roles by or a kid running he's on a chase. We got him older so this "recall" thing is something we've fought for years.

With brilliance comes obsessive behaviors that we are constantly mending. Currently we are working on less barking and recall(whistles seem to work)

nine times out of ten he likes all people and that one time he doesn't he probably has a good reason. They are good judges of character. Mine is a slight bigot but he warms up to most .... but children are all darling in his eyes. NOW, pretend to hit me and he will clobber you! My husband has to be careful not to wrestle w/ me in front of him as he goes bonkers.
He is also very insistent that we be together as a family. ...HERDING! If we are in different rooms he will randomly check on each of us.

When we first got him he would move(not chew) shoes into piles. He chewed one pillow and I said no and switched it w/ a chew toy and he hasn't chewed on our stuff since.

My Cody is again brilliant with kids. He softens around younger kids(7 or 8 and younger) and plays good w/ the older kids. Our neighbors kids come over to play w/ him and some of them have dogs but he's more fun! He will do commands for them and the wait for them to throw the ball. He is more into playing w/ a human though. ...like racing for the ball is even more fun then just casing it(that could just be him).

Just having a yard isn't fun. He needs to interact in the yard or go for a run. We don't have a huge yard but he is a mini Aussie(19 pounds and a little over weight). e do a walk in the morning, ball in the afternoon w/ training(brain stuff) and a run or long walk in the evening ...accompanied by random spots of tug games.

The standard Aussie is about 45-55 pounds.

They are amazing animals.
My friend has a female mini and she is fun but way to clingy for my taste, but that could be training more then breed influence.

He is sweet as ever and all are in love w/ him. We say that having a Aussie is like having a three year old that never learns to talk.... I will always own Aussies(only rescue pound puppies tho) but I wouldn't recommend them to everyone.

Keep an eye on the pound if you want one. Many are given up because of the energy. ohh and I have NEVER met an aggressive Aussie. They are high drive but soft to respond to correction or redirection. You spank them and they will get so upset..... scolding is sometimes to much as they never do anything out of spite.

hope that helps

Last edited by kelly3120; 05-22-2008 at 09:46 PM..

Old 05-26-2008, 09:07 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,432 times
Aussies are super smart and depending on how you raise them good family dogs. But let me give you an example. I have 2 full brothers, Rebound was here 1st he is nothing more then a lap dog, but he's also an alpha. He loves everyone but doesn't like other dogs, very territorial. Bought Ranger for my son but he was deployed and so Ranger came to live with me at around 6 months or so, he is the complete opposite. He is very protective, and can be extremely aggressive, not sociable at all but loves all animals. I have to contain him from children, company for the 1st 30 mins or so. I believe it is because of something that happened while he was with the military guys. Aussies do not forget anything and they have to have a JOB to keep them happy. After all they are a working breed. we have to spell out alot of words in this house or they jump to high alert, they are also sound sensitive, if I open the pantry door they are there, if they hear keys they run to the door, if they hear a plastic bottle they are at your feet, ect. I have to admit they are my all time favorite breed, and I have had many. My kids are always watched and believe me stranger do not get within 10 feet, they are one of the best security systems I have ever had!!! Young pups, have alot of patience and you will be rewarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs