Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 10:26 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times

Advertisements

Just finished watching a HUGE fireworks display and I was amazed at the number of people who bring their dogs. The poor things were jumping around or cowering and all were pulling at their leashes. One got loose and ran away. Are people just stupid or do they simply not care ?

And yes, I know it's THEIR dog and none of my business, but it still makes me mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 10:33 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
People don't want to understand How much Fireworks HURT! Its not so much the Boom or the Pop it the damn Whistle they make.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:35 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Just finished watching a HUGE fireworks display and I was amazed at the number of people who bring their dogs. The poor things were jumping around or cowering and all were pulling at their leashes. One got loose and ran away. Are people just stupid or do they simply not care ?
Both.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:41 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,554 times
My dog is not bothered by fireworks.

Last edited by honobob; 07-04-2016 at 10:51 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 11:56 PM

446 posts, read 396,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Both.
Both, maybe; and maybe they didn't want to leave the dog at home if he would be able to hear the fireworks there and be even more scared being at home alone (and wreck the house and hurt himself)? Maybe they figured the lesser of the two evils was to bring him with them.

Notice I saw "two evils." Neither would be a good idea for the dog.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:00 AM

446 posts, read 396,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Both.
Both, maybe; and maybe they didn't want to leave the dog at home if he would be able to hear the fireworks there and be even more scared being at home alone (and wreck the house and hurt himself)? Maybe they figured the lesser of the two bad ideas was to bring him with them.

Notice I saw "two bad ideas." Neither would be a good idea for the dog.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:03 AM

965 posts, read 939,042 times
Funny, last time I saw that was when I live in the SFV. Shocking really.
That was also the last time I went to a fireworks display, it has been about 13 years I think since I have not had a dog who had a phobia. Mine have always been worse as they got older.
Now I have 2 dogs (young) and they just barked at the ones a few miles off, still.... I didn't want to leave them and chance an anxiety could start. I wanted to be sure to let them know it's "normal" cough cough.
We went outside to play ball, and then to bed with the white noise machine.
I really think people just don't think. I remember seeing 5 dead dogs on the freeway the next morning (which is rare). I wonder how many pool didn't put 2 and 2 together.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:57 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
My dog is not bothered by fireworks, thunder etc. Last year I brought her with us to watch fireworks and some lady went on and on about how scared my dog was-My dog was just sitting. People like that are the loony ones that need to mind their own business. My dog was outside with us all night last night by choice. Nothing fazes her- the other night we had some nice thunder/lightening in the middle of the night. She would not stay inside I had to make her come in and lock up the dog door.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:00 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
I know my dogs probably wouldn't like it but they are typically not bothered by thunder or loud noises like that.
Last night I saw 3 dogs. None of them looked frightened by the fireworks. I think you have to know your dog and it will behave. To most dogs it is super scary, to some though, it may not be.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:37 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,737 times
I think some people are selfish. They care about their dogs, they are not stupid, but they care more about how THEY feel being able to go to these events with a companion or because they must share every moment of their lives with their dogs, even if the dogs can be without. Look at those who bring their dog to the supermarkets. It's not a service dog, some are scared and not behaved. These owners don't care if someone else may be allergic or if the dog is loose, might nip at someone passing by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs