Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 22,505 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My 12 year old Jack Russell just got diagnosed with Heart Diease. They put him on Lasix and heart medication and I took him to a holistic vet Dr. Wenn in Suffolk county. His breathing is a lot better but his stomach so upset and he's not eating much of he's eating at all but taking treats. We have tried one Pepcid a day even maximum strength. Can anyone help on what I can give him or how I can get him to eat? He is still active we hate for him to die because he is not eating. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 09:55 PM

3,602 posts, read 9,012,906 times
I can only speak for my dog when she doesn't feel well. The only things she'll eat are rice and broth with a little meat eventually. I usually buy chicken and boil it, make some rice and mix the broth in, that way she doesn't have a bunch of sodium in store bought broth. There is reduced sodium broth too but it's just as easy to make my own. I also pick up beef bones and throw them in the slow cooker for the day then freeze the broth to have on hand when she gets in a mood to not eat.

You may be going down the rabbit hole if you start cooking for him but it's better than not eating. Scrambled eggs, salmon, turkey, beef whatever you can get him to start eating is good.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:12 AM

9,339 posts, read 13,916,035 times
My dog is same age and breed as yours and has been in CHF for 8 months. The same thing happened, that early on the dog stopped wanting to eat the usual dry food, so I kept switching brands and ingredients and--nothing. Then I had the idea that it was more important for the dog to eat than anything, so I switched to feeding roasted chicken from the grocery store, feeding that alone and nothing else. I do not feed the skin since it is high in salts, and am careful to avoid any tiny bones.

Eventually the dog stopped losing weight and even gained a little. I feed maybe a cup per meal. It is expensive but convenient to buy the pre-cooked chicken but you could either roast it yourself or use boiled chicken if you prefer. The dog has gotten a lot of energy back and there is a new 'normal'. You can start adding a small amount of dry food to this after a month or two and your dog may like it again, but do not reduce the amount of meat you feed. It has really made a difference.

Meds are Vetmedin, enalapril, furosemide

Old 07-06-2016, 07:14 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,284,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaDouglas123 View Post
Hello,

My 12 year old Jack Russell just got diagnosed with Heart Diease. They put him on Lasix and heart medication and I took him to a holistic vet Dr. Wenn in Suffolk county. His breathing is a lot better but his stomach so upset and he's not eating much of he's eating at all but taking treats. We have tried one Pepcid a day even maximum strength. Can anyone help on what I can give him or how I can get him to eat? He is still active we hate for him to die because he is not eating. Thanks!!
Take him to a real vet, for starters.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:21 AM

5,322 posts, read 18,197,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Take him to a real vet, for starters.
You might want to re-read the OP's post. They took him to a vet AND a holistic vet as well is what I'm seeing.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:53 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,341,232 times
I agree with Luv4horses and Dogmama. At this point it's more important that he eat than what he eats, even if it's not "balanced", as long as it's something nutritious. If it's just meat, or meat and rice, eggs, or whatever, I'd go with that. I wish you both the best. I know how hard it is to see them like this.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:06 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,284,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
You might want to re-read the OP's post. They took him to a vet AND a holistic vet as well is what I'm seeing.
I re-read it.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:23 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,281,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
...Meds are Vetmedin, enalapril, furosemide

My 12-year-old doberman was diagnosed with CHF and was put on the same meds, in addition to two more. They helped her live a great life for 2.5 more years. She never lost her appetite and did so well you wouldnt have known she was sick, right up to the last day.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:01 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,788,014 times
Don't randomly change these meds.

The GI family of meds have many choices and there are MANY other selections. They each have various attributes and positives and negatives depending on the diagnosis. And other meds he's taking.

Go back to the vet or call to get something other than Pepcid. It is the typical one they start out with.

It's not GENERALLY the one they prescribe for nausea like this it's more for acid inhibitor. I assume your vet said he has nausea from listening? Hearing noises?

Is he vomiting or regurgitating food or water?

And try canned food but if he has nausea nothing will be "right" until that's dealt with.

You want a canned food that is LOW FAT - fat is what makes them even more nauseous. Get a SENIOR low fat low protein food - canned for now.

My client's vet just prescribed something new I wasn't familiar with for nausea but I'm not there now, I'll get the name tonight so you can ask the vet about it.

I'm sure if you just call or go back in they'll know what to do - not rely on strangers on the internet LOL.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 22,505 times
Yes he did throw up at one time and then started eating like crazy! They have him on nausea meds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs