Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 10:31 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,336 times

Advertisements

I have a new neighbor who is an elderly woman who has a little Pug. Because she can't walk her dog I have taken to walking him once a day in the evening. During the day she puts him out on a tie-out a few times.
She's a nice lady and the dog is a sweet little guy but I'm bothered by the fact that he wears a choke collar considering that he's a brachycephalic dog. In addition to the choke collar he also wears a regular collar which his tags are attached to but this seems to be the only purpose for this collar. His owner uses the choke collar to tie him out or when she walks him anywhere (I use the other collar when I take him out).
In case someone doesn't know brachycephalic (short nosed) dogs should never wear a choke collar since pressure to their throats can be dangerous and at least uncomfortable for the dog since their airways are obstructed already. Ideally brachycephalic dogs should actually not wear collars at all. They should wear harnesses that puts no pressure on their necks.

The problem is that I don't know how to address this with my neighbor. I did bring it up briefly and mentioned that choke collars can be harmful on Pugs and that they should ideally wear harnesses. She just smiled and nodded so I'm not sure if she got it or what she thought of it. I got the feeling that she is not aware of how Pugs' throats are built and the problems that can be caused by it, but I could be wrong.

So does anyone have any suggestions of how to hopefully make her aware and get rid of the choke collar? I know it may not be my business but I care about the dog and I don't want him to be harmed one day when he's pulling on his tie-out and choking himself in the process. He walks very nice on a leash so there is absolutely no reason to have a choke collar on him anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
I really dont know why these collars are still on sale, as they can be so harmful. i hate to see a dog with one.. but I noticed that even in my dogs vet surgery.. they sell them there too, although they always say its nice to see a dog wearing a harness, so why are they still selling the things.. Even some harnesses dont always suit my shih tzu.. so I have to be careful what type I choose for him... Pity people arent educated more about these choke collars. Your doing the lady a favour and the dog by mentioning , try again..

Old 07-20-2016, 12:40 AM

19,824 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Would you be comfortable offering to take the dog to be fitted for a nice new harness? It would be $20. well spent.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:48 AM

454 posts, read 495,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Would you be comfortable offering to take the dog to be fitted for a nice new harness? It would be $20. well spent.
I was going to suggest the same thing. I understand you may not want to take on the responsibility but that might be the easiest way to do it. She may just be using something someone else gave her. Just offering it to her may at least get her to tell you why he's wearing it.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:47 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,336 times
I actually thought about offering to get him a harness. I'd be happy to do it for his sake. But wouldn't that be seen as overstepping my boundaries?

Old 07-21-2016, 12:37 PM

19,824 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I actually thought about offering to get him a harness. I'd be happy to do it for his sake. But wouldn't that be seen as overstepping my boundaries?
Your situation is a bit unique, given that his owner is elderly and you are already helping her by walking him. Getting to a pet store may be challenging for his owner (not sure how elderly she is) and offering it as a gift because you enjoy the walks may be a nice way to bring up the topic.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:46 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Since your neighbor is new, make it a welcome to the neighborhood gift. Get her a little something too. So you have gifts for each of them.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:48 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Since your neighbor is new, make it a welcome to the neighborhood gift. Get her a little something too. So you have gifts for each of them.
great idea Rowan..

Old 07-21-2016, 01:51 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I have a pug and with her breathing issues I would never get her a choke collar. Well actually not any dog.

Like others have said maybe a small gift for her and a nice little harness for her pug

Old 07-21-2016, 02:10 PM

965 posts, read 938,193 times
Something to keep in mind for the elderly.... My grandmothers arthritis bothered her when it came to taking her dogs harness off, and putting it on. She took it to a local harness maker and he rigged it for her he traded the plastic for buckles, because the push-in plastic fasteners were too hard for her to use.

So... The harness may only be usable when you walk the dog (which is still better than a choke collar. Maybe you can get the dog a matching harness, and a martingale collar to tie out. It should be easier to explain the dangers of the choker when there is an obvious trade off. Something that he can wear, along with a step in harness. They make nice cloth ones on etsy, much softer.

Of course the harness would be the only option for all of us who are already aware, but she may not be able to do it. The thought of the dog wearing the harness all day every day doesn't sound great either. But maybe she could learn to break it in?

Btw, I now order all my cloth martingale collars from someone on etsy (someone that I don't know), but if you want DM me and I will send a link to the shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs