Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 12:03 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times

Advertisements

For us animal (dog) lovers, what a sad existence for an animal that craves love and attention. I hope she at least trains him, grooms him and feeds/waters him on a regular basis.

For a dog to live alone outside alone in a cinder walled courtyard, it is neglectful and cruel. If you can, tell her to bring that poor pooch in during the night at least and that he must have proper shelter from the sun, rain and snow when he's outside.

Hopefully, as someone else said, she'll learn to love him or at least enjoy being around him. She will only feel that way if he is behaved, so it will take some effort on her behalf to train him or have him trained. Otherwise, she'll end up angry and bitter at him if he's doing things to annoy her (barking, jumping up, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 01:07 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,178 times
Some folks see animals as devices. Maybe call animal protection.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:27 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Cheesenugget makes a point about different cultures. This woman is from the Philippines, and perhaps it's common back there to use dogs for security purposes only.

I believe Mexico is similar. Except, perhaps, the dogs aren't as confined to backyards as there's no leash laws down there.

I was in Tijuana, one time, and feeling adventurous, I walked into a neighborhood, on a hill out of the downtown area, and walked into a cul de sac, and I was halfway around the cul de sac, and I had dogs coming at me from every direction, and I had to run for my life! At least there, the dogs had other dogs for companionship.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:09 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
To my mind, it doesn't border on animal abuse, it is animal abuse to take a social pack animal and isolate it without any hope of good food, physical exercise, affection, training, mental stimulation, or any of the other elements that help a dog thrive and live a happy successful life.

Very sad for the dog, and possibly even sadder for what it says about this person who would do such a thing.
^^^This

Old 08-05-2016, 09:45 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
Terrible. I'm all for home security, and my dog is part of my home security solution. But, she's also family. Her job is to alert us to trouble but when there's no trouble {99.95% of the time) she's pampered and spoiled.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:09 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Terrible. I'm all for home security, and my dog is part of my home security solution. But, she's also family. Her job is to alert us to trouble but when there's no trouble {99.95% of the time) she's pampered and spoiled.
This is an example of how most dog people are I believe, having them live indoors, the added bonus being while they are relaxing with you or sleeping on your bed, they are alerted, which is a good thing. I think most people having dogs or any pets, have real relationships with them. (I love dogs myself, but not owning my own residence, some places may only allow cats, which I have been content with, but all my cat does is hide if she would hear a noise).

Old 08-06-2016, 12:15 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
My chocolate lab is part of the family, first and foremost. Security is just an additional duty, as is getting the paper from the end of the driveway each morning.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:20 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
If they don't love the dog and demonstrate it often they don't deserve the dog or the protection it might provide.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:56 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,867 times
Outside in the Vegas heat. Poor baby.

Dogs can be good alarms, but if they get bored being outside, they'll bark at anything.
And anybody who really wants to get into your house is not going to let a dog stop them.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:40 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,730 times
I can't relate to anyone who would see an animal as an object to be used. Like someone mentioned upthread, a burglar alarm would be more effective and much cheaper than a dog. If this woman doesn't even like animals, will she even provide enough shelter/food/water, veterinary care, etc.? Or just keep the dog in solitary confinement and throw out food and water when she thinks of it? Are you friendly with her in terms of socializing? If so, maybe you can go meet the dog and check out the situation. You might be the poor animal's only hope for an improvement of his situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs