U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 11:51 AM

3,576 posts, read 1,356,092 times

Advertisements

Recently purchased a female beagle puppy. Her name is Abbi and she is a doll. But she does get aggressive during play time and likes to bite fingers and then makes her beagle hound noises. Any tips for training little beagles ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 12:01 PM

6,630 posts, read 4,576,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Recently purchased a female beagle puppy. Her name is Abbi and she is a doll. But she does get aggressive during play time and likes to bite fingers and then makes her beagle hound noises. Any tips for training little beagles ?

She's not being aggressive, she's being a puppy. Find a good trainer to work with who can 1. Help you work on socializing your pup and 2. Obedience training (less important at an early age than socialization).

Old 08-04-2016, 12:11 PM

As soon as she gets her final shots I will take her to a dog park to play with other dogs. Maybe a play date.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:20 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,528,021 times
Wait until the shots take effect - they aren't immediate after the dog receives them.

If she's biting, that's normal, and all you have to do is remove yourself from her presence for 30 seconds or so. Once they understand the biting means the play comes to an end, they catch on quick.

Because she is a beagle, you must teach her excellent recall. Start working on it now with high-value treats. You need to be able to overcome her instincts to follow the exciting things her nose is showing her. Beagles are all about the nose.

To exercise that aspect, get into nosework. I haven't seen any beagles doing it, and you'll probably win every competition.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:19 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,214,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
She's not being aggressive, she's being a puppy. Find a good trainer to work with who can 1. Help you work on socializing your pup and 2. Obedience training (less important at an early age than socialization).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

If she's biting, that's normal, and all you have to do is remove yourself from her presence for 30 seconds or so. Once they understand the biting means the play comes to an end, they catch on quick.

Because she is a beagle, you must teach her excellent recall. Start working on it now with high-value treats. You need to be able to overcome her instincts to follow the exciting things her nose is showing her. Beagles are all about the nose.

To exercise that aspect, get into nosework. I haven't seen any beagles doing it, and you'll probably win every competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
As soon as she gets her final shots I will take her to a dog park to play with other dogs. Maybe a play date.
Yes, agree with UNC4Me and JrzD. I will add that while socialization is critical and should be a priority, it shouldn't be an either/or situation between socialization and training. Puppies are little sponges, and laying down solid foundation behaviors now will pay off big time.

But please, no dog parks. Your pup needs to build up a history of good positive play with other dogs. A dog park is possibly the worst place for that. Get yourself into a good puppy play group with a trainer who uses positive reinforcement. Preferably find a trainer who is CPDT-KA certified as they have proven to the Certification Council of Professional Dog Trainers that they have a certain skill base and have at least a couple years of experience under their belt. The added benefit is that when puppy type questions come up you can ask your trainer how to handle them. At the end of our puppy classes we always have a Q and A session so that we can address whatever puppy issues are going on.

CPDT/Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers
Why you should look for a certified dog trainer - CCPDT

Old 08-05-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Yes, agree with UNC4Me and JrzD. I will add that while socialization is critical and should be a priority, it shouldn't be an either/or situation between socialization and training. Puppies are little sponges, and laying down solid foundation behaviors now will pay off big time.

But please, no dog parks. Your pup needs to build up a history of good positive play with other dogs. A dog park is possibly the worst place for that. Get yourself into a good puppy play group with a trainer who uses positive reinforcement. Preferably find a trainer who is CPDT-KA certified as they have proven to the Certification Council of Professional Dog Trainers that they have a certain skill base and have at least a couple years of experience under their belt. The added benefit is that when puppy type questions come up you can ask your trainer how to handle them. At the end of our puppy classes we always have a Q and A session so that we can address whatever puppy issues are going on.

CPDT/Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers
Why you should look for a certified dog trainer - CCPDT
Ok.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:40 PM

1,465 posts, read 889,943 times
I've found that dog parks were helpful in socializing my dog, from puppyhood on. Obviously, it would be better to start slowly, and go when there weren't too many other dogs there, and try to find dogs close to your beagle in size. Watch the dogs there before you go in with your puppy - are there pushy dogs who just have to play hard with everybody, or more laid-back sorts of dogs (the latter being better for a young puppy, unless the pushy dogs are a little smaller or the same size and age as yours, and there are only one or two of them). And if your puppy is a bit timid of other dogs, dog park introductions should be handled gently and carefully.

Puppy kindergarten (when your puppy has completed the vaccinations) is a good way to introduce your puppy to other dog-friendly people as well as other puppies. (my dog, as a puppy, loved meeting the people/children at Puppy K; he was a bit less thrilled with the off-leash socializing, since the other puppies were bigger than he was and after a few minutes, he'd hide behind a chair to avoid being pushed around; unlike the dog park, there wasn't a lot of space...) If you don't have access to gentle children in your own family, Puppy Kindergarten can be a good place for your puppy to meet some. Also, taking your puppy to pet supply stores on-leash is a good idea; there will be many customers who will enjoy petting her - wait until she's had three vaccinations, four if there is much incidence of parvo in the area (I am not a vet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or