Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 07:21 AM

965 posts, read 939,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I share my dog with my friend who lives around the corner after her dog died as she didn't want to get another puppy at her age. She's my doggy angel. She comes every morning at 6:30 while it's still cool and takes him on her "yellow doggy bus", aka her golf cart, to run and chase rabbits in our open dog park of several hundred wild acres. She feeds him a home cooked breakfast on the way.

After an hour he comes back all hyper and usually soaking wet and jumps on top of me in bed to give me a big hug. Then he will rest and either take care of grooming one of his stuffed babies, ask to have his stomach scratched, or want you to throw his ball around the living room. I check him for ticks, cactus insertions, brush him, or give him a bath.

At noon or one I take him out and try to get him to pee while his tail is going a mile a minute with excitement trying to find geckos.

At noon she comes back to hug him and he waits on top of the couch so he can look out the window for her. Back again at five she brings him dinner and they go out to the field hunting and running for another hour and which he's completely pooped. Then he will sit in my lap and watch movies till I take him out at 10 after which he goes to bed.
What a fabulous life for a dog. I love the idea of sharing. when I see people out jogging digress I feel bad for all those high energy dogs stuck in backyards.

The doggie angel sounds like such a blessing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 09:40 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
She is a blessing, such a pure heart. Her whole day revolves around raising abandoned baby animals and feeding strays, when she isn't here.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:52 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I also worry that my dog is bored. He's reactive and anxious, and it's difficult to do things out of the house with him. His day goes like this:

7:00 am Wakes up and comes out of his crate (where he sleeps).
7:30: Goes out in the yard to pee and usually goes to sleep on the chair for an hour or two.
9:00 Goes out in the yard for more pottying and eats breakfast.
9:30 We might play a game of fetch with his Kong.
10:00 Takes a nap.
12:00 Gets cookies in his Kong, maybe more fetch.
1:00 Short walk in the early afternoon.
1:30 Barks at the mail-lady.
2:30 Watches out the window and barks at kids who ride bikes past our house or at people walking their dogs.
2:35: Is told to knock it off and to go lay down.
3:00: Takes a nap on his chair.
5:00: Maybe more cookies in his Kong, maybe more fetch.
6:00: We go for a slightly longer walk if it's not raining. (We live in Florida and this is rainy season.)
7:00: Eats dinner. Lays under the table licking his chops hopefully while the humans eat dinner.
7:30: Takes a nap on his chair.
9:00: If the humans go to the den to watch TV, he joins us/them. He might share a snack, and he usually ends up snuggling on the couch for a little while, then getting sick of that and taking a nap on the loveseat.
10:30: Goes out to potty one last time, then has a cookie in his bed (crate) and goes to sleep.

I would love to be able to do things with him, taking him places and such, but he's just not able to handle it because he gets so stressed out and starts barking, screaming, lunging and showing signs of stress.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:14 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
Quote:
I share my dog with my friend who lives around the corner after her dog died as she didn't want to get another puppy at her age. She's my doggy angel. She comes every morning at 6:30 while it's still cool and takes him on her "yellow doggy bus", aka her golf cart, to run and chase rabbits in our open dog park of several hundred wild acres. She feeds him a home cooked breakfast on the way.

After an hour he comes back all hyper and usually soaking wet and jumps on top of me in bed to give me a big hug. Then he will rest and either take care of grooming one of his stuffed babies, ask to have his stomach scratched, or want you to throw his ball around the living room. I check him for ticks, cactus insertions, brush him, or give him a bath.

At noon or one I take him out and try to get him to pee while his tail is going a mile a minute with excitement trying to find geckos.

At noon she comes back to hug him and he waits on top of the couch so he can look out the window for her. Back again at five she brings him dinner and they go out to the field hunting and running for another hour and which he's completely pooped. Then he will sit in my lap and watch movies till I take him out at 10 after which he goes to bed.
Just wanted to say...awesome!!

Old 08-07-2016, 07:56 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
My dogs are interacting with me constantly because I work from home. I don't really take them on walks, but we play ball in the yard most days. They play hard with each other too. And we go to the pet store and dog park and take classes and hikes. We do flyball and nosework. Today, we went with a bunch of friends (dog and human) to the lake, and they wore themselves out.

During the work week, I take naps with them on my lunch break and there is a lot of snuggling. I'm constantly giving them commands and whatnot or playing tug with them or tossing toys.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:38 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
I have a mini Aussie & her favorite thing to do is to go to the dog park & "herd" the kids around.

We go to a dog park just 20 min away that is at 7,300 ft elevation with hills & gullys. It's in an area aptly named the "Black Forest" for it's dense canopy of Ponderosa Pines. (I have a small pic in an album here)

My 12 yr old has Autism & likes to run & "flap" around. He is "her" kid...she runs incredibly fast; weaving in & out of the trees to herd him back to me. It's the cutest thing ever, I swear her ears perk up when I say "dog park?"...she knows what is coming!

Old 08-08-2016, 11:04 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:

You know, I think I want to be your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs