U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 03:47 PM

83 posts, read 95,485 times

Advertisements

Anyone else's yard infested with these annoying things?

My three dogs are constantly scratching.
I know by then scratching, they are spreading flea eggs everywhere but I am literally trying everything I could to contain them.

They are on Advantix (**** is expensive). But the stuff fades away after a week and they are back to non-stop scratching again.

I've sprayed the hell out of furniture &beds with Flea Killer/deterrent.

I've given them flea shampoo baths but they are crawling in them by the end of the day.

I've tried searching my yard (half acre) for any signs but can't find anything. Is there a nest in supposed to be looking for? Or are they evenly disbursed throughout the yard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 03:57 PM

3,938 posts, read 2,558,815 times
They're probably all over the yard. You won't see a nest. You need to treat the yard, house and dogs at the same time (on the same day) to get rid of everything. I would vacuum first, throw out the vacuum bag when done (if it's bagless empty it and clean it out), you want to get rid of any flea eggs you vacuum up. I'd then spray or set off a bomb inside. You also need to spray under the furniture and under the beds. The key is to do dogs, house and yard on the same day.

Once you've done that maybe switch to frontline once a month. I've had good luck with it but you need to get the infestation under control.

Good luck.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:45 AM

2,734 posts, read 2,767,221 times
We switched to NexGard because the topical stuff would fade and the dogs would have fleas after 2 - 3 weeks. Haven't seen a single flea since we changed.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:09 AM

1,166 posts, read 549,992 times
Get some Nexgard or Bravecto

Old 08-19-2016, 01:05 PM

3,012 posts, read 4,834,756 times
My vet claims the OTC topical stuff like Frontline has lost its effectiveness over the years, like the fleas have developed a tolerance. Interesting theory, not sure how credible...

Old 08-19-2016, 02:55 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,209,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael View Post
Anyone else's yard infested with these annoying things?

My three dogs are constantly scratching.
I know by then scratching, they are spreading flea eggs everywhere but I am literally trying everything I could to contain them.

They are on Advantix (**** is expensive). But the stuff fades away after a week and they are back to non-stop scratching again.

I've sprayed the hell out of furniture &beds with Flea Killer/deterrent.

I've given them flea shampoo baths but they are crawling in them by the end of the day.

I've tried searching my yard (half acre) for any signs but can't find anything. Is there a nest in supposed to be looking for? Or are they evenly disbursed throughout the yard?
Are you sure the itching is caused by fleas? Are you actually seeing fleas on your dogs?

Between the multiple shampooing with flea shampoo and sprays you are putting on bedding, you are subjecting their skin to all kinds of things that could be causing either an allergic reaction or simply drying out the skin.

Your dogs could also be having an allergic reaction to the flea bites.

I use Frontline and my dogs never have fleas.

I would lay off the chemicals, rinse your dogs with cool clear water to help with the itching, and talk to your vet. All those chemicals in the flea baths, sprays, and topicals added together could be toxic and causing the itching.

BTW- if there are still fleas, they aren't necessarily coming from the yard; if you have carpeting, the fleas could be living in the carpet. Vacuuming relentlessly will help. You may need to evacuate the humans and dogs from the home and flea bomb.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:35 PM

1,050 posts, read 371,674 times
If the problem is really fleas, and if they're getting them outside, you can call a pest service that will spray the yard with nematodes. They will kill eggs and larvae. We had it done in out back yard one year when fleas were particularly bad and the problem stopped completely.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,168 times
I am getting fleas like crazy as well we have treated the yard 4 times already my dog is on actyvil and the vet said the fleas die in 12 hours but every time my dog goes out she comes back in with them she is on her second dose. my indoor cats are on it as well.Anyone useK9 Advantix II .I have also sprayed the house inside with hot shot bug spray several times vacuuming twice a day. My house is clean as hell.But actyvil doesn't have a repellent so after she come in and I hold her I get a flea or two on me.I think that's why I keep getting fleas . I did here frontline isn't working as well

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-26-2016 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: New members are not allowed to post links

Old 09-27-2016, 03:49 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times
Advantix is still good in most areas but NOT for use on cats...
advantage is still working for us (but only covers fleas)
actyvil/frontline, anything with friponil is USELESS here.

flease quickly develop resistance to products.

we are having good luck with soresto collars on our 2 big dogs too.

(I cant ue any of the pill forms due to sensitivities in the dogs)

Old 09-28-2016, 05:50 PM

1,415 posts, read 3,018,317 times
Diatomaceous Earth (food grade): Bug Killer You Can Eat!

check this stuff out, its the only thing that got rid of the fleas we had..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs