U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:25 PM

10,171 posts, read 7,034,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Maybe have the vet check inside his mouth, just to rule that out.

When I have fosters, I do as twelvepaw says above. However, after 7 pm I don't offer again, and I only feed once a day in the afternoon (to healthy, grown dogs - pups, or sick or elderly are fed at least twice a day).

In the one stubborn foster case I offered every morning, once. Then again in the afternoon.
She was one out of I don't know how many fosters that refused food for over 48 hours that way. Day 3 she ate. Mind you this dog was OBESE, and was used to junk food, I was starting her on raw.
When I placed her, she took more than 48 hours to eat kibble again.

What makes you think your new boy should weigh 5 pounds more? I have the feeling he will start eating once he is settled 100%. In the meantime I would not fuss, nor would I add anything else to his bowl.
Once he is settled in feed him what you want for sure. Just don't make mealtime an issue now. Everyone I know who has fussed over the "amount" a dog eats has ended up with picky, fat dogs. YMMV
He's pretty far on the thin side, but not to a serious degree. I tend to keep my dogs lean (mostly avoiding giving people food or treats very often, I've never had a dog get overweight by just sticking with kibble). So 5 lbs is just an estimate not to see his ribs so clearly.

He has his vet visit today, I'll mention it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 12:48 PM

965 posts, read 500,257 times
Btw, not a dumb question at all. Lots of people have the same worries.

If he was bouncing around at the shelter to get the bulk of his exercise in the kennel for a year (very likely), he may not be burning off as many calories now. He may put the weight on in a calmer environment with less food.

Also, at the shelter he probably got some attention when they gave him his dish, and then they would go away, probably in the afternoon evening It sounds to me like human attention is far more important to him than food, and he may have learned that once he eats he gets no more attention?

That may not be the situation at the shelter, but after a year I am guessing it may be related.

I had an emaciated foster that just jumped at the kennel door 12 hours a day, once she settled she ate like normal after week or so.

Might you be able to feed him half of his meal by doing tricks not anywhere close to his dish? Sit, 10 pieces of kibble, down, 10 pieces of kibble, walking on leash, etc.... Or in a buster cube when the other dog is not in the same room, or stuffed in a Kong? Keep it not related to putting down a dish that time of day that he just looks at it?
Does that make sense?
You should eventually be able to feed from a dish again, but give it time. Just a thought.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:17 PM

10,171 posts, read 7,034,037 times
We saw the vet today and she gave him a clean bill of health. I discussed the food issue with the vet and she told me its how some dogs are (not most but a few). But he was in good shape and nothing to worry about.

Phew

We love our new pup lots!

Old 08-24-2016, 12:05 AM

13,842 posts, read 25,223,020 times
The dog is playing you! And you never really know who is eating what. The answer is training.

I have multiple dogs. They eat in their crates. As soon as I pick up their food bowls they go wait in their kennels. I bring in the food and give them 20 minutes or so to eat. Then I go in and pick up their bowls and that's it till the next meal time. Lather, rinse, repeat. A dog used to free feeding might miss a couple meals getting used to the new feeding method, but he will eventually eat when he is supposed to.

20 minutes is generous. Mine are usually finished in 5 minutes.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:07 AM

965 posts, read 500,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
We saw the vet today and she gave him a clean bill of health. I discussed the food issue with the vet and she told me its how some dogs are (not most but a few). But he was in good shape and nothing to worry about.

Phew

We love our new pup lots!
That is great news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs