Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 01:44 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,604,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
As a child, I would regularly play with my neighbors Maltese. I never was involved with the taking care of part, but anyway I always THOUGHT I was a person who liked dogs until I got a dog. Then it all changed. What a nightmare. The dog was an absolute mess. It would deficate all over itself, step in poo and track it all over the house, throw up everywhere, pee everywhere. I tried everything to train the pup, nothing worked. I was so stressed out by this dog I had to get rid of it. I ended up giving it to a sponsor home, it was the happiest day of my life. But anyway, this dog soured my opinion of dogs. My wife said to me that there was probably something wrong with the dog because if all dogs were like that, no one would own dogs. My wife really wants a dog, but I am soooooo reluctant because of the bad experience with the only dog I ever had owned. Oh it was so horrible. I hated that dog so much. I get the chills just thinking about it. I mean I did everything to try and make it work but the dog was untrainable. Imagine having to clean up poo all over your house and dog multiple times a day. And it would step in it's own poo and track it everywhere and pee all over the house. I never thought owning a dog would be like that. What a terrible experience.

So, dog owners, are all dogs this way??

No, all dogs are definitely not this way, or at least are not this way if they are physically in good condition and health, older than 7 weeks or so, and have patient owners who are willing to work with a puppy or dog who isn't perfect. It sounds like the dog could have had physical problems and/or reacted badly to your attitude or words.

You sound far more concerned with your own stress and revulsion than the problems this dog was going through - no dog, normally, excretes all over itself and vomits everywhere, at least not frequently. You hated the dog because "it" made your life difficult. I really don't think you should ever take on another dog, not unless you are prepared to rethink your attitude about dogs. Especially since you mentioned in another post that you are a "neat freak". Dogs can be messy; though they should not messy be all the time unless they are not being properly cared for. But they take a lot of time and effort to mold into the good companions they are born to be, especially when they are puppies (or if they have been in prior homes where they suffered negligence or abuse).

Puppies or older dogs who are not housebroken do have accidents inside the house, until they learn not to do so. (and then, occasionally, there might still be accidents brought on by indigestion or illness) . I'm not sure why your dog was excreting all over itself - unless the poor thing had chronic diarrhea or was improperly groomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 05:40 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Well I love dogs and have had a small number of them over the years. And I COMPLETELY understand the OP's dilemma.

There is an easy solution. For your first dog, or in your case your next dog, get a dog that is already house broken and already past the youthful enthusiasm stage. A dog that is maybe 3-4 yrs old or more, where the owner cannot keep him (due to owner illness or death or financial circumstances), will be great for you. Not everyone needs or can put up with a puppy. Don't feel bad, just look for that older dog with good behavior who needs a new place to rest his furry head.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:29 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Is your wife willing to take responsibility for care and training? Because you obviously don't want to.

If so, go to the American Kennel Club website and get the address for the golden retriever club of america. Contact the Golden Retriever Club and find out how to get in contrast with that club's rescue.

Contact the rescue and tell them that you would like to get an adult, and I suggest 5 years old or older, that is already fully house trained. Their dogs have been in foster homes where they are trained, vetted, and evaluated. Do not go to any private rescues or to the pound, only the rescue of the Golden retriever parent club .

It's going to cost you some money. You'll have to have a fenced yard. You must be prepared to comb and brush that coat at least once a week and the area behind the ears should be combed every day (which takes about 5 seconds). Someone has to exercise the dog daily, you or your wife. You can reduce the number of times you must go out if you install a dog door to secure fenced area.

Some dogs just are not good dogs; they are born as not good dogs and they don't get any better. Some dogs are not clean dogs. You got a dog that didn't suit you. The next dog should be very different. However any dog is going to involve work. Any dog must be gotten outside often enough because there is a limit to how long a dog can hold it .

If the dog is vomiting, it needs a vet. If it isn't sick and is vomiting, it needs it's food changed.

Your wife wants a dog. If my husband ever forbade me to get a dog, he'd end up with a divorce. You need to discuss with your wife who will care for the dog. Contact golden retriever rescue and ask if they have someone in your area where you could go and spend some time with the dogs and have someone teach you how to live with a house dog

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 09-03-2016 at 01:37 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 01:50 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times
As everyone has said, sounds like you shouldn't get a dog.

But - I don't like dogs (I'm a cat person) and it turned out ok for me. I got my first dog because it was a stray and needed a home and I took it in. I knew nothing about dogs, but she trained herself and me and we had one another for 13 years. I got my second dog because I missed my first dog. I followed the potty training method posted in this very forum: only expect them to "hold it" for the amount of months they are old, then take them out to the exact same place in your yard and praise when they go, don't react to mishaps but take them out immediately and praise at the pee/poop spot. This worked perfectly and the dog potty trained quickly and easily. (editing to note that yes, you really do have to get up every few hours during the night when a puppy is young.) Dog is now nearly 2 and sleeping beside me right now.

I'd still say that I don't really like dogs, though. I only like MY dog.

You really might consider a cat - cats are loving and cuddly but much cleaner than dogs.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:56 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
the fact that this dog was apparently routeinly vomiting all over your house and you didn't see need to consult a VET...says to me that no..you should not get a dog...Mabe a fish would be more your speed, a nice little betta fish in a pretty tank...I mean youll still need to do a little filtr maintenance, but heck I think even a cat might be a little too much for ya...

a dog that poops regularly in the house is A: not being taken out to potty frequently enough, B: given too much freedom, C: Sick.
a dog who walks through poop and tracks it through the house is generally Sick...(or has been confined to such a tiny space that its been given no option but to stand/lay in its own mess)
a dog who is routeinly vomiting in the house...is SICK...

an owner who cant fgure this out is not ready for a pet...

I live in a house with multiple dogs, and cats, and birds, heck we currently have an injured goose in our livingroom...
we still don't have animals tracking poop through the place or puking everywhere...

Mabe Sony AiBo migiht be a better match for you, small, cute, unique, absolutely adorable, NO MESS to clean up after and when you get bored you simply power him down.
http://www.sony-aibo.com/

Old 09-03-2016, 02:10 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Sorry, but I think requiring a certified trainer is overkill. We had a succession of dogs, some acquired as puppies, some as adults, perfectly housebroken, good-natured, never messy - and the never required any "trainer" other than my mother. You don't mention the breed you had, but I see that Maltese have a terrible reputation with house-breaking.

First, research the breeds - personally I'd opt for a large dog, a breed likely to be relaxed and not high-strung. Second, make a commitment for the house-breaking phase, that you're going to be walking the dog frequently, all the time, until he gets the idea.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:55 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,117 times
If you are a clean freak, no matter if the dog was housebroken, there will always another reason to dislike the dog (I.e. shedding, drooling, mud paw prints inside the house, the smell, etc). So if you want a dog, you must accept what it is: a dog. It's not a cat. Some dogs like to roll in dirt and poop. Some dogs do not step on poop, like my 2 pups. In general, they are generally happy, rambunctious animals that don't mind getting dirty if need be.

If you cannot accept that, then get a cat or a fish.

If you are willing to overlook the minor accidents and messes, and wants a puppy, then be ready to potty train it. There are loads of training info online that can help. Pee pads, crate training, a strict schedule of feeding and walking, etc.

Don't bother getting a golden. If you can't invest the time, money and effort to pottytrain a dog, getting a golden will not solve your problems.

Lastly, take your new dog to obedience classes! Regardless of its potty training, this is a MUST for new dog owners. Obedience classes are simply more than teaching it commands. Your dog can socialize with other dogs. You may also meet other dog owners who can offer their advice on how to pottytrain your pup.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:16 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times
Also, since both of mine have been golden retriever mixes, I just want to note that Goldens stay "kids" until about 3, so you have to contend with juvenile behavior for an extended period of time. Don't get a Golden expecting it to be well behaved immediately if it is young. They also shed like crazy and need constant brushing.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:45 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
While the issues you had seem really abnormal, dogs are a lot of work. Dogs are messy. Dogs sometimes have accidents. Sometimes they get sick and really make a mess. Sometimes the rip things up. Training isn't mega hard, but usually requires training of you first.

I think if you are a clean freak, it might be harder to have a dog. We have a new dog home...if you could see my living room...he destroyed one of his toys and its quite a mess. Also I bought a padded ottoman second hand and clearly it had been marked on and cleaned up because he keeps marking there but hasn't anywhere else in the house (I am getting rid of it!).

Dogs take a lot of work, they are expensive. I think you really have to want them and love their companionship to be able to put in the time and energy.

Now, if it works in your marriage, your wife could be responsible for the dog. Thats how it works for us. I am a SAHM so I do the training and most of the care. But he gets the benefits of puppy love without doing much work. SO if that works for you, maybe it would work out.

Id avoid a golden if you are a neat freak. Slobber and hair. I'd look for a cleaner breed.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:49 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Well I love dogs and have had a small number of them over the years. And I COMPLETELY understand the OP's dilemma.

There is an easy solution. For your first dog, or in your case your next dog, get a dog that is already house broken and already past the youthful enthusiasm stage. A dog that is maybe 3-4 yrs old or more, where the owner cannot keep him (due to owner illness or death or financial circumstances), will be great for you. Not everyone needs or can put up with a puppy. Don't feel bad, just look for that older dog with good behavior who needs a new place to rest his furry head.

Great advice. Our most recent addition is a 2 year old guy who has been house trained and received a lot of training. I have to help sharpen his skills, but its been nice. I knew I wasnt in a place to get a puppy (although at 2 he is still kind of a puppy in some ways). I think if the idea of having a baby is appealing, a puppy would work. But if the idea of having a baby makes your blood run cold...then adopt an older dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs