Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 11:18 AM

560 posts, read 452,646 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I have an 8 year old Pomeranian. He was from a puppy mill and rescued by my dad co-worker so we have had him since he was 4. He is my dog, and my family always says when I move he is going with me. It's not an issue because I love my little guy and he will like the quiet (away from my loud brothers). I am just worried about moving him and his schedule changing. He is very stubborn and likes things done his way. I've been trying to tell my mom that since I work two jobs and I'm in college that we should try to get him on a schedule that would fit one I would have when I move away. However, no one ever listens to me and I'm gone during the day so I can't enforce it.

I've read about moving with dogs and getting them adjusted, but i have a hard time finding tips about moving a dog who is use to 4 or 5 people in a home and then going down to one person. My dog is very much attached to me, when I go away on trips (where I'm gone more than 1 day) my mom says he mops and looks for me. He also loves my mom because he knows he can get her to always take him out. When it's just us and the family is gone on trips he is happy and doesn't seem to be too sad. He just isn't use to my routine and not having someone always home to take him outside when he wants.

Any tips on how to get him adjusted for a move? I plan on moving in Decemeber/January and it will just be myself so he won't have my mom to always take him out. Is changing his routine before the move a good idea? I really want to make this easy on him and I think the sooner he learns the new routine the better. He will also be leaving our family cat who he likes. Would it be good to get a kitten for him to have around? I don't want him to be lonely.

Any help will be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 12:45 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Well, if you are planning to work 2 jobs AND be in college, who will take him out during the day? It's not just getting used to a smaller family, it will also mean your dog will be totally alone most of every day. You might need to hire a dog walker to come in several times a day.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Well, if you are planning to work 2 jobs AND be in college, who will take him out during the day? It's not just getting used to a smaller family, it will also mean your dog will be totally alone most of every day. You might need to hire a dog walker to come in several times a day.
I won't be in college full time or working two jobs when I move. I will be graduated from college and just one job. I know lots of people who work 8-5 or 9-5 and they dogs are home alone. Right now that's why I can't work with him getting on a new schedule that will fit what we have when we move. He would not let a dog walker walk him. He doesn't even let my two brothers who he knows walk him.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:54 PM

231 posts, read 334,427 times
I went through this and my 13 year old dog had a hard time. She developed separation anxiety which she never had before. She also had trouble sleeping in our new place. This is with me working from home and moving 10 minutes away from the family home...

What I did was get a puppy which I would never recommend doing. With the new puppy, my dog's separation anxiety was cured and she did adjust to the new place after 8 months. However, she was really stressed at first and got sick due to stress and her vet bills were over $1000 within few months.

I would suggest bringing all of his old stuff with the move. I made a mistake and donated all her old things and bought all new beds, bedding, feeding bowl and different treats to spoil her but I could tell that she was not comfortable with her new stuff. Luckily, I brought one old blanket.

Maybe you should get a dog walker to spend some time with him during the day. It's good you are thinking about him before the move and I wish you luck!

Old 09-06-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
I went through this and my 13 year old dog had a hard time. She developed separation anxiety which she never had before. She also had trouble sleeping in our new place. This is with me working from home and moving 10 minutes away from the family home...

What I did was get a puppy which I would never recommend doing. With the new puppy, my dog's separation anxiety was cured and she did adjust to the new place after 8 months. However, she was really stressed at first and got sick due to stress and her vet bills were over $1000 within few months.

I would suggest bringing all of his old stuff with the move. I made a mistake and donated all her old things and bought all new beds, bedding, feeding bowl and different treats to spoil her but I could tell that she was not comfortable with her new stuff. Luckily, I brought one old blanket.

Maybe you should get a dog walker to spend some time with him during the day. It's good you are thinking about him before the move and I wish you luck!
Thank you! Yeah, I want it to be as easy on him as possible. He is just grumpy and doesn't like people. I hardly go on vacation or trips unless my mom can be with him because he does not like anyone else walking him. I thought our family friend could do it because she knows him, but it didn't work.

Oh wow, a puppy might be too much work. He is use to cats so I was thinking maybe a few months before the move I get a kitten and that would come with us too and he would have a friend.

My mom did offer to stay for a week after I move to help my dog adjust, I just worry she will take him out whenever and he won't learn that mommy will be gone during the day.

Good tip on bringing his old stuff with him. Right now he is the king of pillows and he loves sleeping on those. He hides all his toys, but I think it would be nice if he has all his confronts from his old home.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:50 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Can you come home during lunch? What about hiring a dog walker?

He's not going to be happy about the move, but just make sure he has things to entertain him and spend a lot of time with him when you're home.

something to try may be hiding his meals around the house. Like a little kibble in one spot and then make him hunt for the next spot where the kibble might be. But Poms are so persnickety he might not like that, lol.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Can you come home during lunch? What about hiring a dog walker?

He's not going to be happy about the move, but just make sure he has things to entertain him and spend a lot of time with him when you're home.

something to try may be hiding his meals around the house. Like a little kibble in one spot and then make him hunt for the next spot where the kibble might be. But Poms are so persnickety he might not like that, lol.
I keep getting the dog walker one haha, but from my experience he is not a happy camper with people walking him who aren't myself or my mom. Maybe I can try to get my brother to start doing it so he gets use to someone else. I tried to have my brother friend walk him for me once when I worked 8am-9pm and he wouldn't go for him. Just sat on the floor.

I'm not sure if I can come home for lunch. I haven't gotten a job yet as the move won't happen until at least end of Dec/Jan at the soonest.

I was thinking of making him a doggie obstacle thing to keep him busy, but I doubt he would play with it. I might try making one for him now at our house.

If I move his food and hide it he would poop out of spite that I've messed with the dinner haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs