Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:48 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,698 times

Advertisements

Hello

Here in AZ I've operated a carpet/upholstery business for the last 18 years. Thousands of clients, and even more dogs.

Never, I mean never, has any of them had a Doberman Pincher. Are they still around? They had a bad rep a few decade ago but so did Pit Bulls. Maybe a regional thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 06:37 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
pits bad rep is counterbalance by the overwhelming number of pitty lovers and social media willing to literally fight for them...
the pitty person is someone whos not afraid to yell at the top of their lungs to try to change the worlds opinion of their breed...I think that's why despite the rep pits are a much more common breed.

the Dober-Dope never did quite reover the same way, likely due tot he time of its reputation and the laco of social media at the time to fight.
dober-folks tend to be a little less outspoken about their breed and its probably for the bst because eunlike pitbulls whos very nature demands they LOVE EVERYONE (they are afterall a "people puppy") Dobermans are a different temperament tye altogether.
incredibly loyal to their person, fiercely sometimes and often standoffish with strangers...they require a ifferent kind of human in their life, one that understands the drive, of the Doberman, and their rep and flying under the radar kinda helps keep them form slipping back into bad hands again.

don't get me wrong, there are still idiot macho people using dobes for badness...
but they've become a more under the radar breed.

add to that they are BLACK dogs.
theres an acual documented issue in shelteres that black dogs are much harder to find homes for, breers fin the same in multicolored breeds/litters, black puppies often take twice as long to find good homes for, and some never do...
a study among inmates in ver 25 prisons all said the same home, while having any dog in your home is a deterant to a breakin, inmates stated they were 90% MORE likely to skip a house with a mid-lare BLACK or primarly black dog then they were to skip a house with a dog of any other color...size and breed played less of a role.
another stud took 10 dogs, a black lab, shepherd, a few multi colord mixes...all about the same size, and people without even thinking walked right past or even avoided the black dog and headed or the others, including the shepherd...

so "black dog" syndrome probably also plays a large part in a lack of resurgence (and a lot ofpoeple don't realize dobes come in rust, blue and fawn too, many even think blues are weimeriners lol)

however...
the oberman isn't a dead of dying breed, there are many out there, dober-folks are a loyal and steadfast breed, dedicated to their dogs, most would never imagine life without at least one of these majestic doof balls.

this would be My Dober-dope, a 3 yr old doofball, called Keira, 80lbs of pure dober-beauty, shes my Angel, shes my working service dog and shes the love of my life.
Ill never be without at least one dober!

Old 09-06-2016, 09:11 AM

32,648 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Dobermans have, fortunately, had control taken back by the fanciers of the breed. I still encounter them at dog shows and where serious dog people gather.

A good Doberman is an expensive dog and the ear cropping is expensive and time consuming and most members of the general public don't want to deal with the ear cropping issue, nor do they want to pay a high price for a well bred dog.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:14 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
. . .

this would be My Dober-dope, a 3 yr old doofball, called Keira, 80lbs of pure dober-beauty, shes my Angel, shes my working service dog and shes the love of my life.
Ill never be without at least one dober!
And she is a beauty. I love it that you have NOT cropped her ears.

Dobies certainly are less visible as a breed than they were 20 or 30 years ago. Just don't see them around as much.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:09 AM

965 posts, read 939,042 times
The ONLY reason I do not have a Doberman is the health issues. I couldn't stand planning to lose a dog at 8, or 6. I have NEVER met a Doberman I didn't like (except as a kid in the 70s). It is my dream breed, and I LOVE them.

My personal opinion (not saying it is fact) in regards to why they aren't around as much any more is their horrible health issues. Some of their health issues are just freaky enough that no one really even mentions hip dysplasia.

Most show breeders can't avoid (a slight link to) those health issues in an otherwise sound dog. They mention the health issues (heart, wobblers, etc...) on their websites if they are good breeders, but they can't guarantee the long term health of the heart for sure. I did quit looking, so maybe there are a few breeding for longevity now?
Accepting that they are now a short lived breed is like accepting that most Bernese Mtn Dogs, Flatcoat Retrievers, etc.... Will die of cancer before they turn 10 (or 8, and knowing there is a good chance they could die at 6). Sorry, going off on a rant here....

Even police and military dogs are rarely Dobes, if ever? I should search after this. Many are now even going to Malinois, from GSD. They choose the mentally AND physically healthiest dogs to work.

BYB in the 70s did a lot of damage to the Doberman breed.... IMO. Not to say show breeders didn't, but I don't think enough bred them for work, and that is when health goes by the wayside. Still IMO. I do not believe show people save them.

Poorly bred (and raised) Pits are in the same boat, but the sheer number of them, and the fact they don't go into show rings may save them health wise (if BSL doesn't take them out). And I disagree that social media will save Pits. I love Pits too, but they are NOT Pibbles, and not everyone can save one. If they are poorly bred, they, like any (possible) dog or same sex aggressive dog are at risk.
They are being saved one dog at a time, as hundreds die every.single.day in the background.

But breeds do fall out of favor, and Rottweilers have gone down the path. They came after Dobes, and health issues cropped up fast for them too.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:31 AM

308 posts, read 237,602 times
Of all breeds im most wary of Dobermanns.An ex girlfriend of mine used to think it was amusing to make hers growl at me.I was frightened to death of that dog,he never bit me,but he did bite her in the end.30 years later i still try to avoid them.They havent got the numbers over here now,dropped right down in popularity.I have patted a few,but im always worried they will be aware im frightened of them.

I work in a small rescue shelter and fortunately we have never had one.Usually im fine with the big guard breeds,though you get those that dont like men sadly.

Only other breeds im even a little bit wary of are Chows and Scottish Terriers(real snappy).

Looking at my exs facebook page she appears to have two Dobes now.lets hope she is more sensible with age.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:14 AM

965 posts, read 939,042 times
Wow! thank goodness she is your ex. Sorry I couldn't help it, I don't think it is at all funny for someone to do that.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:53 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Dobermans have, fortunately, had control taken back by the fanciers of the breed. I still encounter them at dog shows and where serious dog people gather.

A good Doberman is an expensive dog and the ear cropping is expensive and time consuming and most members of the general public don't want to deal with the ear cropping issue, nor do they want to pay a high price for a well bred dog.
Dobermans don't need to be cropped. The AKC does not require ANY show dog to be cropped. Cropping is a dying practice. Not only is it illegal in most countries, I have seen more and more show dogs with natural ears. As a long time Great Dane owner, I don't crop my dogs anymore, and none of my Dane friends do either. Although show Danes are still usually cropped, some of there is a growing trend toward natural ears in the American show ring as well.

I love Dobermans myself but they are somewhat prone to illnesses. However, I wouldn't let that keep me from a breed that I love. I just love Danes more which is why I have them instead.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:48 PM

308 posts, read 237,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Wow! thank goodness she is your ex. Sorry I couldn't help it, I don't think it is at all funny for someone to do that.

No it wasnt and has left me with a life long fear.I liked her a lot but that was one of her bad bits.I see literally dozens of dogs walk past here,there are woods across the road and a beach down the hill but i bet its at least 2 months since i last saw a Dobe.Staffordshire Bull Terriers,Spaniels,s*h*i*t*zus,Labradors,French Bulldogs seem to be the most popular at the moment.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:26 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
simple, there are still health issues within the breed but thanks to exensive genetic testing becoming more readily available and more people becoming aware that good breeders DO health test (and continue to health test even if initial tests come back clear) the breeds longevity and general ehalth is greatly improving, 12+ years isn't unusual for a well bred dobe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs