U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:57 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,385,663 times

Advertisements

If this happened just one time I would let it slide, especially after a long weekend. If it's all of the time I would look for a new vet.

Any time I have had an emergency, I called my vet and they tell me to come in right away. We may end up setting there for a few but at least they take us as soon as they can. In fact, I've noticed when waiting for what was a previously made appointment, they always fit in emergencies first. I can appreciate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 08:23 AM

12,044 posts, read 6,878,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
I live more than an hour away from the nearest emergency vet (in another state). But my vet, and others in town will meet you in the middle of the night, for an extra charge.

OP, I have worked for many vets and the truth is unless they really know you - like you have a sick dog that comes in weekly, and has tons of (usually expensive) treatments you are really not going to be on their radar. Unless they happen to fall in love with said pet. YMMV but even clinic staff are more attentive to pets/owners they know.

The fact that you pay $250 for an annual means a Lot to you, but it doesn't mean anything to them. It is a lot to me too, a lot period. Vets that charge more, or have fancier clinics are not my choice.

From past experience I know that - especially after a holiday, if I want my pet seen I will call after hours and pay the charge. I tell everyone the same thing. I agree drop offs can be a good idea, but I hate doing it, and haven't had to in years.

Recently a friend of a friend had an ancient dog that was dying on a Sunday night and they couldn't afford the extra charge, so I told her to leave a message saying she would be waiting in the morning (just in case anyone checked) and then to drive to sit in front of the clinic at 7 am for an hour to see if they could have the dog euthanized as soon as they arrived. This had been a healthy 16 year old dog, and they had no vet relationship, so they were going to be hard pressed anyway. But euthanasia usually doesn't get in the way first thing at a clinic.

My little dog had a lump, and they got me in the next day. I was frantic, of course, but didn't want to go anywhere but my vet. It ended up not being an emergency, but it took about a month to diagnose cancer when the lump wasn't going away....

How did it go with the new vet, was it a successful appointment? That is what is really important! Stay with them if you are happy with them.
Thank you for your input. I should have made it more clear that in addition to annual visits, we have spent thousands and thousands of dollars over the four years with this vet office in vet care, boarding, and grooming at this office. My senior animals always had some health care issue going on and were regular customers. However, I never had the need to see the vet for an acute issue in the last four years until Tuesday. The vet office definitely knew my animals and me.

My new vet was great, but he is perplexed by the lump. The x-ray doesn't appear to show cancer but, he says the size of the "lump" and rate of growth concern him. We are doing a round of ant-inflams and antibiotic. So far after 4 days there has been no reduction in the size of the lump. I'm a little nervous.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:32 AM

14,655 posts, read 10,555,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Thank you for your input. I should have made it more clear that in addition to annual visits, we have spent thousands and thousands of dollars over the four years with this vet office in vet care, boarding, and grooming at this office. My senior animals always had some health care issue going on and were regular customers. However, I never had the need to see the vet for an acute issue in the last four years until Tuesday. The vet office definitely knew my animals and me.

My new vet was great, but he is perplexed by the lump. The x-ray doesn't appear to show cancer but, he says the size of the "lump" and rate of growth concern him. We are doing a round of ant-inflams and antibiotic. So far after 4 days there has been no reduction in the size of the lump. I'm a little nervous.
I'm sorry. Are they thinking about doing a needle biopsy?
When I post in bold red that is moderator action and, per the TOS, can only be discussed through Direct Message.Moderator - Asia, Arkansas (w/ subforums), Kentucky (w/ subforums), Military Life, and P&OC

Old 09-09-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I'm sorry. Are they thinking about doing a needle biopsy?
We have 6 more days of medicine and the vet will reassess. Thank you for your thoughts, Oldhag.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:37 AM

1,021 posts, read 732,037 times
It's frustrating when your vet doesn't have any time to check your sick pet when needed. My vet's schedule is more flexible, he is usually available in the afternoon when I get out of work, so it works out. Sometimes, it isn't possible. He is a 1-man shop and has been around for over 20+ years. I understand why he would need to turn down some clients, similar to an m.d. office. I also have a 2nd local vet and an emergency vet contact info as back up.

Try to understand and not take it personal. Surely, if your vet could, he would see your dog. He can't because he has a list of clients waiting on him, some who also have a sick dog who may be worse than yours or clients who scheduled the appointment at least a month ago, waiting for their turn to see the vet. Your dog might require more than a quick check up. Then everyone else's schedule would be postponed simply to accommodate yours, which sound like a non-emergency diagnosis. How much one spend at a facility should not earn one special privileges, imo. Obviously, your vet will survive if he risks losing a client or two.

If a vet is willing to see your dog upon request, great. But that is not the norm, including the human medical field.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:08 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,208,960 times
Quote:
My four pets are rescues and seniors. Their vet took care of them for over four years. My priorities when choosing my vets are: a relationship with me and my pets will be seen quickly if injured or hurt. Each fifteen minute annual visit for shots and exam was over $250. I could get the same shots for under $50 at a local Pet store.

Sunday evening I observed one of my dogs had a half golf ball sized swelling on his leg and we saw no injury to cause it. I went to my vet on Tuesday morning, as Monday the vet office was closed, to have it assessed.The receptionist said the schedule was full and I would have to wait, perhaps hours, to see a vet if they could fit me in. I declined and found another vet to see him within the hour.

I changed our vet to the one who could see our pet. If I'm going to pay a premium for shots I expected our vet office to see my pet on a timely basis. I feel bad for being so impatient, but the vet office didn't care about our pet's history with the office.

What would you have done?
I guess I am confused-

You discovered the swelling on Sunday, but you didn't feel the situation was urgent enough to take your dog to either an emergency vet or another vet on Monday, correct?

You decided to wait to take your dog to your regular vet on Tuesday with the expectation that your vet would shunt other clients who had made an appointment aside in order to be able to see your dog immediately.

Instead however, your vet honored his commitment to the patients who already had existing appointments, and offered you an appointment in 2 hours. So, he didn't refuse to see you, but instead fit you into his schedule. By your own choice you had already waited 24+ hours to see him, but didn't want to wait another 2 hours?

I don't see what the problem is here.

I have 2 local vets with whom I have good relationships. However, barring a life-threatening emergency requiring immediate care, I wouldn't expect either of them to drop everything, and compromise relationships with other clients, in order to see me immediately. And if my dog required emergency care I would take him to the e-vet, not my regular vet.

I choose the vets I see based on their level of competency, expertise, experience, and how they treat my dogs. Whether they would drop everything on a dime to see my dog isn't one of my criteria for choosing a vet. Both of my vets have very busy practices, and are normally booked out at least 6 weeks or so. If I call with a critically ill dog, they will normally be able to squeeze me in the same day, but again, barring a life-threatening emergency, I have always had to wait until they could squeeze me in later in the day,normally at least 3-4 hours out.

As well, I would never expect the amount of money I have spent in the past to influence how I am treated. Everybody- all clients- deserve the same consideration, respect, and service; I wouldn't want to see a vet who prioritized another client over me because the other client had spent x number of dollars over the past year/s.

You clearly have different criteria for choosing a vet than I do.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I guess I am confused-

You discovered the swelling on Sunday, but you didn't feel the situation was urgent enough to take your dog to either an emergency vet or another vet on Monday, correct?

You decided to wait to take your dog to your regular vet on Tuesday with the expectation that your vet would shunt other clients who had made an appointment aside in order to be able to see your dog immediately.

Instead however, your vet honored his commitment to the patients who already had existing appointments, and offered you an appointment in 2 hours. So, he didn't refuse to see you, but instead fit you into his schedule. By your own choice you had already waited 24+ hours to see him, but didn't want to wait another 2 hours?

I don't see what the problem is here.

I have 2 local vets with whom I have good relationships. However, barring a life-threatening emergency requiring immediate care, I wouldn't expect either of them to drop everything, and compromise relationships with other clients, in order to see me immediately. And if my dog required emergency care I would take him to the e-vet, not my regular vet.

I choose the vets I see based on their level of competency, expertise, experience, and how they treat my dogs. Whether they would drop everything on a dime to see my dog isn't one of my criteria for choosing a vet. Both of my vets have very busy practices, and are normally booked out at least 6 weeks or so. If I call with a critically ill dog, they will normally be able to squeeze me in the same day, but again, barring a life-threatening emergency, I have always had to wait until they could squeeze me in later in the day,normally at least 3-4 hours out.

As well, I would never expect the amount of money I have spent in the past to influence how I am treated. Everybody- all clients- deserve the same consideration, respect, and service; I wouldn't want to see a vet who prioritized another client over me because the other client had spent x number of dollars over the past year/s.

You clearly have different criteria for choosing a vet than I do.
Monday was a holiday. The vet office was closed.

No appointment was offered by the vet office. In fact, I was told I may not even be seen after waiting in the office for possibly "hours" to be "fitted in" the schedule.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:36 AM

5,082 posts, read 5,346,651 times
Quote:
My four pets are rescues and seniors. Their vet took care of them for over four years. My priorities when choosing my vets are: a relationship with me and my pets will be seen quickly if injured or hurt. Each fifteen minute annual visit for shots and exam was over $250. I could get the same shots for under $50 at a local Pet store.

Sunday evening I observed one of my dogs had a half golf ball sized swelling on his leg and we saw no injury to cause it. I went to my vet on Tuesday morning, as Monday the vet office was closed, to have it assessed.The receptionist said the schedule was full and I would have to wait, perhaps hours, to see a vet if they could fit me in. I declined and found another vet to see him within the hour.

I changed our vet to the one who could see our pet. If I'm going to pay a premium for shots I expected our vet office to see my pet on a timely basis. I feel bad for being so impatient, but the vet office didn't care about our pet's history with the office.

What would you have done?
As it didn't appear to be an emergency, I would not have expected my vet to push back set appointments to see my dog. I may have looked for another vet that could have seen him sooner if I felt it was necessary, but I wouldn't have fired my regular vet over this instance.

I'm also of the opinion that the amount of money you have spent doesn't entitle you to jump ahead of others that have an appointment - only the urgency of the medical issue.

We take our dog to a practice that has multiple vets so we may not see the same doc twice. However, they have his medical records and they are all good and gentle with him. They are also a 24-hour/365 emergency vet which is a big plus for us as we've had to utilize those services a few times.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:13 PM

7,066 posts, read 8,121,869 times
That is what emergency vets are for. I believe the OP is all up in arms about nothing despite rationalizing that he/she has spend thousands & thousands. Flip side is I would be annoyed my appointments are being pushed or cancelled by all these non emergencies who claims they spent thousands and thousands.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:41 PM

13,356 posts, read 7,343,654 times
There is a one vet office just down the road that handles most of my dog's needs. They are economical and pretty flexible but not where I would take my dog in an emergency. About 30 minutes away is a multi-vet hospital which often can get me in within a couple hours notice. They also offer a "work-in" option for a $22 premium which allows the patient to come in right away and be seen in between existing patients as well as an emergency option for a $42 premium which essentially is stat...the emergency trumps all other apps and is seen first. The only reason to do that would be true emergencies needing to see a particular vet. I've been there on a few occasions when there have been stat situations. It was all hands on deck. Since they schedule appts 30 minutes apart there doesn't seem to be much inconvenience if one comes in. imho, it is beneficial to have relationships with at least 2 vet offices in advance of critical situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or