Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 12:03 PM

309 posts, read 160,986 times

Advertisements

I rescued a dog about 8 months ago. She had been badly neglected, was covered in fleas, skin and bones, full of worms, and covered in white spots from demodetic mange. We have resolved all the issued now but the demodex mites. We've made a lot of progress with that as well but it is very persistent. I'm opposed to putting poisons on her and have been able to get rid of a lot of it with natural remedies and a good diet to help improve her immune system.

She is a Jack Russell pit bull mix. Very, very high energy and very lovable. I so much want to stop the itching she has from those mites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 01:40 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
The kindest thing is to use one of those "poisons". It will only hurt the mites because it will have been chosen to work against some aspect of biology that is required by mites but not by you or your dog.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The kindest thing is to use one of those "poisons". It will only hurt the mites because it will have been chosen to work against some aspect of biology that is required by mites but not by you or your dog.
Thank you. I may do that. I've made a big dent in their population with Apple cider vinegar, diet, supplements, and baths (which amazingly she likes) but there are still some very stubborn mites that just won't seem to give up. I know that these kinds of mites are on all dogs but are only a problem when the dog's immune system is impaired or weak, then the population explodes, and the itching, hair loss starts.

I was just hoping someone out there may have had success with natural remedies.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:30 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Your dog is suffering. Just use the scientifically proven cures. They work very quickly. The longer you battle with it, the more chance she'll get reinfected from mites that are around your property from her previous bout. My dogs picked it up from playing near a fox den, for god's sake - they never even came into contact with the fox. One treatment with Revolution and the problem disappeared immediately. They both lived to be 16.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no "organic" cure for mange. Some of the cures my father recalls his buddies using on their hunting dogs in the old days could kill the dogs. Dipping your dog in creosote is generally a bad idea.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Your dog is suffering. Just use the scientifically proven cures. They work very quickly. The longer you battle with it, the more chance she'll get reinfected from mites that are around your property from her previous bout. My dogs picked it up from playing near a fox den, for god's sake - they never even came into contact with the fox. One treatment with Revolution and the problem disappeared immediately. They both lived to be 16.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no "organic" cure for mange. Some of the cures my father recalls his buddies using on their hunting dogs in the old days could kill the dogs. Dipping your dog in creosote is generally a bad idea.
I'll definitely look into it, Thanks.

My dog lives inside now. Of course we go for walks, but she doesn't have ticks or fleas. I check all the time. I also have a large tabby cat who has never been outside in his adult life. Adopted him from Humane Society. And he doesn't have fleas either. Of course, demodetic mange is not contagious, so my cat is mange free.

Creosote is even a scary name.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:47 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Revolution worked for my dog.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:35 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
The best way to get rid of demodex is to give the dog a dose of Ivermectin. That will clear out any worms at the same time.

There are topical insecticides to kill demodex, but they don't work reliably and you must do multiple applications.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:19 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybear2014 View Post
I'll definitely look into it, Thanks.

My dog lives inside now. Of course we go for walks, but she doesn't have ticks or fleas. I check all the time. I also have a large tabby cat who has never been outside in his adult life. Adopted him from Humane Society. And he doesn't have fleas either. Of course, demodetic mange is not contagious, so my cat is mange free.

Creosote is even a scary name.
Demodectic mange is about the dog having a sensitivity to a particular mite - that sensitivity is genetic, like an allergy. It's a defect in their immune system. It's not contagious to other dogs unless they have that sensitivity, but if you get too many of the mites in your area, the dog will reinfect itself. I'm not sure if Revolution takes care of demodectic mange, but it is an Ivermectin derivative. If your dog is a herding dog, it could have a sensitivity to Ivermectin as well, so best to investigate that with the vet.

It would be best to just keep your dog on Ivermectin or a similar product, because demodectic mange can recur any time it comes in contact with that particular mite. In my experience it tends not to reappear as the dog gets older and builds up its immune system more, but it's best not to take risks with that kind of thing since it can be hard to get rid of and can make the dog vulnerable to other infections.

Creosote was used as a coating for wood that was outside - like telephone poles and whatnot until its use was banned. I'm sure it DID kill the mites, but probably killed the dog as often as not too.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Demodectic mange is about the dog having a sensitivity to a particular mite - that sensitivity is genetic, like an allergy. It's a defect in their immune system. It's not contagious to other dogs unless they have that sensitivity, but if you get too many of the mites in your area, the dog will reinfect itself. I'm not sure if Revolution takes care of demodectic mange, but it is an Ivermectin derivative. If your dog is a herding dog, it could have a sensitivity to Ivermectin as well, so best to investigate that with the vet.

It would be best to just keep your dog on Ivermectin or a similar product, because demodectic mange can recur any time it comes in contact with that particular mite. In my experience it tends not to reappear as the dog gets older and builds up its immune system more, but it's best not to take risks with that kind of thing since it can be hard to get rid of and can make the dog vulnerable to other infections.

Creosote was used as a coating for wood that was outside - like telephone poles and whatnot until its use was banned. I'm sure it DID kill the mites, but probably killed the dog as often as not too.
I've decided to try Revolution. I just cannot keep up with the baths and the Apple Cider Vinegar and all those other home remedies. I think her much improved diet has really helped though. She has gained weight and her short coat is very shiny and smooth. Of course I treated her for the worms She had, got rid of fleas and had her spayed. Now I just need the Revolution to get rid of the remaining over population of those demodex mites.

Thanks for all of the advice all of you.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:38 AM

6 posts, read 4,920 times
I dont use poison on my dog anymore. when she was younger she was pumped and covered full of poison and it really damaged her immune system, she is still recovering. she was having allergic reactions to EVERYTHING.

recently, she was around my aunts dogs and her grand children.. and now she has dry skin around both of her eyes with some hair loss. For the past week ive given her 5tsp of ground organic raw pumpkin seeds, 1tsp of acv every morning. and dabbed a little coconut oil on the dry skin every day. one day i also put a little tea tree oil on it, the next day it look SO much better!!

I dont think it is mange, but i would highly suggest looking into tea tree oil and organic pumpkin seeds for your dog. you can grind them up in a coffee grinder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs