U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 05:30 PM

14,735 posts, read 10,630,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The idea of "holding it" for hours doesn't sit well with me and anyone out of the house most of the time, why get a dog. Yes, the fate of some dogs in shelters isn't good, but many of those end up there because people who didn't have the time or didn't put in effort to make a situation work put them there when they weren't a cute puppy anymore. Some people are so ignorant that they believe the dog will just housebreak themselves and stop chewing things up thus the number of dogs in the shelters that are not housebroken and who chew things up.

Not all dogs can "hold it" for hours on end. I had a friend whose dog would vomit when it couldn't get out to pee/poop. I have seen that in other dogs. Sad.

The Importance Of Letting A Dog Urinate - Boo Boo's Best
from your link:
Quote:
However, having your dog ‘hold it in’ for long periods can lead to the development of bacteria in the accumulated urine. This can lead to a urinary tract infection or worse – a bladder or kidney infection. When a dog holds urine for long periods, bladder stones can form.

Over time, spending days, weeks, months and years holding urine for extended periods can also contribute to incontinence
In almost seven decades of having 2-3 dogs at all times I have never had a dog get a urinary tract, bladder, or kidney infection, nor bladder stones and I have had plenty of dogs that had to hold it depending on our housing. Since all my dogs come from a shelter, most of them senior dogs, I have started out with many dogs who supposedly had a small bladder or supposedly couldn't be trained to not relieve themselves in the house. Funny, within three-four weeks none of them had those issues, with exception of one dog who did indeed have incontinence. She was estimated to be 10-12 years old when we got her, so I have no idea what originally caused it, but we ended up getting her doggy diapers. Most dogs are probably just fine holding it, as I was the years my classroom schedule meant I didn't get a chance to pee for at least 7 1/2 hours. Old lady that I am, it never gave me an infection either. It's not an ideal situation, but it is not untenable either.

I do agree that there are too folks that don't bother to train their dogs properly and the dog ends up paying for that laziness or ineptitude, just like there are too many parents that do the same with their child. The difference unfortunately is they can abandon their dog - who would now be happy to have another family, even if that family had to work all day. If the dog really can't manage all day, if you can't get them a doggie door with access to a backyard, or you don't have money for a dog walker or daycare, just get a babygate to pen them in the kitchen with newspaper or pee pads. It sure as heck beats being stuck in a shelter or being euthanized.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:49 AM

4,660 posts, read 15,784,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I understand the need to crate occasionally, especially with a puppy but IMO crated all day 5 days a week (even with a mid day break) plus whenever you're not at home is not fair to a dog. I'd put a kennel in the back yard so at least the dog could move around in good weather or put him in one room and the other dog have the run of the house. No matter how much a dog loves his crate, that's a lot of time to be crated and let's face it being crated has to be boring. IMO it's not fair for a dog to be crated that much.
Perhaps you misread my reply? My dog is not crated all day, five days a week. He's crated four, sometimes five days a week, roughly for six hours.

I've worked with animals for over 35 years of my life, 12 of which was at a boarding hotel and I can see what can happen with two dogs from the same home when was goes over the top stimulation wise. Case in point: two dogs that were used to boarding weekends wile their owners were away and shared a run. Once the owners became empty nesters (two legged kids), they started enjoying longer vacations. To our horror we came in one morning to proof of an altercation that rendered one (the older one age 8, Lab mix) needing vet care as their 5 year old Lab mix had the upper hand. This surprised both our staff and the dogs' owners. From that point forward to avoid injury and vet cost or worse, they took our advice and boarding the dogs in separate runs where the could see one another, yet no harm.

Yes, both of mine are exercised daily! No matter the weather! In fact, last Winter we'd play outside even if it was -10F

So Rowan123, I hope we can agree to disagree.

Included is a picture of my kids How does having a dog and working long hours work?-13615293_10157119749900652_5034769153826986724_n.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 11:24 AM

5,104 posts, read 5,397,398 times
Regarding dogs "holding it", I've read that the length of time depends on the size of the dog. So for our 15 pound schnoodle, it was recommended that he hold his urine for no longer than 8 hours. Since we're out of the house for 10 hours, I thought it humane to have someone let him out mid-day.

Additionally, we don't feel hurried to get home. So if we're stuck in traffic or need to stop on the way home for something, I know he's okay. So that's peace of mind for us. And we did budget for this expense when considering bringing a dog into our lives.

I also think of myself as not being able to urinate for 8-10 hours, and boy, that would be miserable.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:38 AM

6,307 posts, read 7,461,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
People, dogs can be and generally are successfully part of a family with working humans - a much better option than languishing in a shelter. Many of these dogs do not have owners that can or will fork over the $15-35 a day it would cost for a daily dog walker. I have never owned an adult dog that wasn't capable of "holding it" 8-10 hours, and it doesn't cause medical issues for them, either. If you are worried about loneliness while the human is gone, get a pair or add a cat, they are more than capable of getting emotional comfort from each other.

I never saw or heard of a dog daycare until about 6-7 years ago, this is new and still doesn't exist in many communities. Nor does every community have dog walkers. Now, suddenly it's a must have? Dogs have not had an evolutionary change in the last decade or so, if it was okay for dogs when you were a kid, it will work now.

I do agree that a puppy or a high energy dog are probably not a good option. The shelter has plenty of middle age, laid back dogs that need a home.
This.

With some of the talk about the importance of pet sitters and doggie daycare, I sometimes wonder how in the world the species survived for so long without them.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:09 PM

4,975 posts, read 6,373,831 times
My dog goes to doggie daycare. She's on a special diet, so I pack her breakfast and lunch, along with a few toys, and drop her off in the morning.

This works really well.

I had another dog who recently passed away. As a pup, he had separation problems, but I dealt with those and he was able to stay at home alone.

As a senior, he preferred home. I would sometimes take him to doggie day camp, along with my other dog, but he just didn't seem to like it.

Last edited by pacific2; 09-28-2016 at 03:46 PM..

Old 09-28-2016, 03:36 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,067,479 times
My work is literally 5 minutes away from home. My dog is home with my 2 cats for 8:10 hours every day, plus or minus 30 minutes if I need to go in early or stay a bit longer. When I get home, he is sometimes interested in going out, but more often than not, he wants to be petted and fed dinner first. There have been more times than I can count where I take him outside, but he immediately pulls back to the door and goes directly to his food bowl and waits for me to fill it. So he clearly does not have an immediate need to pee!

After he eats, THEN he pees and poops. Then we go on a 5 mile walk, where he will pee some more, poop some more, and walk some more. He is the most happy, contented dog ever. He snores when he sleeps!

On the weekends, he will often get taken on more than 5 miles, so he is a very tired puppy dog come Monday morning. I am sure he very happy to see me leave so he can REST!

It works just fine with my guy.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:01 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,621,108 times
Our dogs stay by themselves for 8-10 hours too and they are fine. Freckles is a little over a year old and Sawyer is 6. Freckles was crated up until she turned 1 in July. Because she was in the crate, my husband, my father or I would go home during lunch to let her out because staying in a crate for that long is no fun. However, we've slowly started giving her more free reign. She stays in the kitchen now and Sawyer has the rest of the house. We mostly keep her in the kitchen because the two of them together a likely to cause mayhem, and Sawyer needs his space from time to time. They both do just fine. Occasionally, I'll go home during lunch or my husband will but that's mostly on days were we were not able to walk them as long in the morning or if we forgot our lunch or because sometimes we just miss them and want to see them. =)

We have not had any accidents, any issues and like PeachSalsa said, more times than not, they are more interested in getting pets and eating than they are going out to pee.

In the evenings, they get a long walk and sometimes a trip to the dog park. During the weekend, their walks and playtime is even longer. They are both happy dogs.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:14 PM

12,238 posts, read 6,956,376 times
Having an adult dog family member and being left alone during the day, depending on the breed, is no problem. Most adult dogs can hold their bladder and bowels for 8-10 hours.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-30-2016 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or