U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 09:24 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,565,805 times

Advertisements

So, over the past couple of days Fez has developed some icky eye boogers. I clean them out and they return almost immediately.

So, Monday we're going to the vet. We need to go anyway for routine reasons and to discuss neutering - poor Fez, he doesn't know what he's in for.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what could cause crusty, oozy eyes? The said boogers are whitish yellow and his eyes do not seem to bother him at all (no rubbing, scratching).

My guess is they're irritated from some home remodeling - kicked up a lot of dust tearing off moldings and pulling up carpeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 11:52 AM

12,400 posts, read 31,382,423 times
My guess too! But make sure the vet does check them, could be conjuctiveitis!! But the vet can give you a safe eye wash & meds [if needed]....

Old 02-23-2008, 08:46 PM

4,654 posts, read 15,747,969 times
Be cautious when you clean the eyes that you wash your hands right after.

I've got a good friend who is a vet and swears that conjuntivitus is not passable between dogs/human, cats/human etc.... however I've witnessed it happening

Old 02-24-2008, 01:31 PM

389 posts, read 3,289,182 times
My younger dog has the gooberiest eyes ever, but it is normal (clear-greyish) discharge. I took them to work with me yesterday for their yearly exams and mentioned it to our doctor and he said as long as it's normal colored it's fine. The yellowish color that you are describing is not normal, but if this is the only time that it has happened, then you are probably right and it is likely caused by the remodeling you are doing. It's a good idea to mention it to the vet because he can either prescribe something, or give you some OTC recommendations of drops or rinsing solutions. Be careful if the eyes look anything like pink eye because that is contagious from human to dog and dog to human.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:22 PM

157 posts, read 495,297 times
We have a dog with dry eye. If his eye is not lubricated with drops, it gets boogered up too.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:42 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,565,805 times
So, I'm back from the vet with an unhappy dog. He was nervous to begin with and the temperature-taking and parvo booster put him over the top. Poor Fezzie.

Anyway, just like a car that doesn't make the noise when you take it to the mechanic, his eye was clear today. Figures. But, I had mentioned something to the vet anyway, and he agreed that it was probably environmental, but to keep an eye on it.

Next Monday will be another traumatic day for Fez... he's scheduled to get neutered.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:35 PM

12,400 posts, read 31,382,423 times
Damp warm wash coth does wonders!! Poor owner [Fez wont miss them....hehehe]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs