U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2016, 11:17 AM
 
285 posts, read 131,118 times
Reputation: 180

Advertisements

My dog has been dealing with yeast infection for probably two or three years. I bring her to the vet and they say "let's try this" (triotic drops, malacetic shampoo, Benadryl, fish oil etc) and nothing really changes. The yeast started out in the ears and the triotic drops did clear it up, but now her paws, rear end, vulva and up the center of her belly has it. I took a qtip and wiped between her toes and all of this black residue came out. I applied some triotic drops and then put the cone on her so she won't lick it off, but I just wish I could get this yeast under control.

She has to be uncomfortable. She licks and chews her paws. Her skin is dry and flaky where the yeast is. I'm just frustrated with the vet at this point. They know what the problem is. I know what the problem is. But they can't (won't?) cure it! Instead it's costly vet visits over and over again. Anyone have experience with EXTREME yeast? Any ideas how to cure it? I'm going to call the vet (AGAIN!) tomorrow....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2016, 11:44 AM
 
4,948 posts, read 16,455,710 times
Reputation: 2865
could you maybe try another vet as people doctors the next one may have the answer to help. maybe google dr foster and smith there magazine has tips also. I did hear they did get bought out but I had used them b4 they did. some breed clubs also may have an idea that may help and save you money also- I know dogs with floppy ears often get ear problems etc. some breeds get allergies so bad and people have tried lots with no relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2016, 11:56 AM
 
5,343 posts, read 6,465,663 times
Reputation: 10279
Sorry she is having this problem. Get an alternative practice vet. Look at food and allergies.

There must be some baths that would be anti fungal

We had a young dog with yeast problems and the vet gave me a small tiny tube of human yeast treatment. It worked but took time. Would bet yeast pills would help her. Vinegar water sprayed on her feet and skin

It is all about acid base relationship just as it is in humans

Anyway. New vet. Good luck. She must be miserable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2016, 12:10 PM
 
Location: NC
6,429 posts, read 7,793,334 times
Reputation: 13025
Agree that the yeast infection could be secondary to another problem such as a skin problem. And the most common cause of skin problems seems to be food allergies. Licking the skin keeps it moist. Yeast. Genetic problems related to skin might cause it to crack or flake. Yeast. All the lotions and potions you have been using may dry the skin. Yeast. So, look for something either internal or congenital that is the cause and maybe go after that, the primary cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2016, 12:31 PM
 
13,291 posts, read 7,296,479 times
Reputation: 12337
If you can afford it, an alternative/holistic vet might be able to help. The first thing I thought was food allergy. Perhaps you could try switching to a grain free food with a different protein source. That would be the cheapest avenue to try and just may solve your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2016, 12:41 PM
 
285 posts, read 131,118 times
Reputation: 180
Thanks for the responses! She's on taste of the wild grain free food. I try to avoid the ones with chicken as the first ingredients. She had the pacific stream last time which was salmon based. I think the one she has this time is venison.

I may try a new vet, although I do like the vet she currently sees, it's just that I can't understand why they can't cure something that seems to be very common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2016, 01:10 PM
 
4,948 posts, read 16,455,710 times
Reputation: 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKate34 View Post
Thanks for the responses! She's on taste of the wild grain free food. I try to avoid the ones with chicken as the first ingredients. She had the pacific stream last time which was salmon based. I think the one she has this time is venison.

I may try a new vet, although I do like the vet she currently sees, it's just that I can't understand why they can't cure something that seems to be very common.

Don't feel too bad they cant even cure the common cold yet. where I am people one I know won't take her talk out. The reason the dog gets an allergic reaction, then chews and off to the vet. The tech said keep her in another lady had spent in the thousands and still no answer to her dog's itching.

she put in new floors, changed diet, try meds galore- oh she even did that test to see what the dog was allergic to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2016, 01:26 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
22,348 posts, read 28,222,268 times
Reputation: 42934
I'm going to guess that there is an underlying allergy problem. Not all allergies are food allergies, although an elimination diet is as good a spot to start as any.

I use a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol for yeast (swimmer's ear remedy) and that usually works well. If it doesn't work, Nystop powder will clear up most yeast (nystatin topical). Nystop requires a prescription and an e-collar.

I suggest two things. You need to have a culture done with a sensitivity study to see what your strain of yeast will respond to. It sounds like yeast, but it could be a bacterial skin infection. Bacterial infections can be really nasty and are usually staph of some sort.

You aren't going to ever clear the yeast up without getting the allergy under control.

Oh, a third suggestion, when you get the infection under control, do not stop medicating. You need to keep up the medication for several more days to get the last lingering bugs.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2016, 03:34 PM
 
4,948 posts, read 16,455,710 times
Reputation: 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Don't feel too bad they cant even cure the common cold yet. where I am people one I know won't take her talk out. The reason the dog gets an allergic reaction, then chews and off to the vet. The tech said keep her in another lady had spent in the thousands and still no answer to her dog's itching.

she put in new floors, changed diet, try meds galore- oh she even did that test to see what the dog was allergic to.
meant dog out-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 08:53 AM
 
285 posts, read 131,118 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm going to guess that there is an underlying allergy problem. Not all allergies are food allergies, although an elimination diet is as good a spot to start as any.

I use a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol for yeast (swimmer's ear remedy) and that usually works well. If it doesn't work, Nystop powder will clear up most yeast (nystatin topical). Nystop requires a prescription and an e-collar.

I suggest two things. You need to have a culture done with a sensitivity study to see what your strain of yeast will respond to. It sounds like yeast, but it could be a bacterial skin infection. Bacterial infections can be really nasty and are usually staph of some sort.

You aren't going to ever clear the yeast up without getting the allergy under control.

Oh, a third suggestion, when you get the infection under control, do not stop medicating. You need to keep up the medication for several more days to get the last lingering bugs.

Good luck.
Thank you! I've gotten some excellent advice from this thread.

Her ears seem to have cleared up from the triotic drops. I've tried applying to her paws, but she tries to lick it off. We got the cone, so I'll use that when I put it on her paws.

I also got some Bragg's ACV that I will try to give her or apply to the yeast infected areas on her body.

I'm also going to call her vet and possibly go to a second vet & see if they have a different approach to getting this under control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top