Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:33 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,069 times

Advertisements

Hey so some advice here.
The county sends me paperwork that Cody needs and updated rabies shot and tag. They also say that he's 8 years old(stupids)
I send it the renewal form because Cody has a 3 years rabies and I have the pound puppy paperwork to prove it.
I get back : "Johnson family,it is true cody's rabie shot was a 3 year brand, but he needs a new rabies shot because we do't have previous medical history for him"
I personally think this is crap. So because you don't have previous records BUT you gave me a three year rabies(not due until 2009) you still wanna over rabiesize(made up word) my dog?

I even copied his pound puppy paperwork and sent it in as proof of the shot and his age.

This frustrates me because one Cody is sensitive to vaccines and medication, two I'm not one to over vaccinate and try to be the least invasive and three I shouldn't have to pay again when the vaccine hasn't exspired.

So what would you do???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 05:39 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,793 times
It depends on the laws in your area.

Here, the FIRST time a dog gets a RV vax (no matter the age), it MUST be boosted in 1 year (the 1 year & the 3 year vaccine is from the same bottle). From that point IF the vaccination is kept current, boosters are every 3 years.

Check with the local vets - they have all that info.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
It depends on the laws in your area.

Here, the FIRST time a dog gets a RV vax (no matter the age), it MUST be boosted in 1 year (the 1 year & the 3 year vaccine is from the same bottle). From that point IF the vaccination is kept current, boosters are every 3 years.

Check with the local vets - they have all that info.
Then it should've been boosted last year right?

Thanks for the comments.

I sent them an e-mail tonight that was very polite but asking for clarification

"We have a sheltie/Aussie mix we got from Hillborough County Animal
services two years ago.
We recently received a tag/rabies renewal form in the mail.

Our dog was given a 3 years rabies at the pound in 2006(February) so
there is no reason for me to renew his rabies until 2009. It say this on
his pound papers.
I sent a copy of the pound papers and a check for the renewal tag and
got back a note saying "Johnson family,it is true cody's rabies shot
was a 3 year brand, but he needs a new rabies shot because we don't have
previous medical history for him".

I don't understand this.
You gave him the shot and have his history. I am also confused by this
statement because you do not have previous medical history of many dogs.
If anything you have more info on my dog than a pet shop or breeders
dog.

I would appreciate some type of clarification since I do want my dog to
have a updated rabies tag.

Thank you!"

Old 02-23-2008, 05:54 PM

If you walked into our clinic with no proof of a previous RV vax at the time the shelter gave the vax, he should have been boosted in a year (and the shelter should have known that - if in the same area as you are now).

Old 02-23-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
If you walked into our clinic with no proof of a previous RV vax at the time the shelter gave the vax, he should have been boosted in a year (and the shelter should have known that - if in the same area as you are now).

Thanks so much for the info.

We are in the same area. We do have proof. I have his adoption papers w/ this info on it. I even sent a copy to the county.
So he does need a new shot? Even if he had a three year in 2006 because he's a new pet? So silly this rabies shot drama. What's the point of the three year shot then
I am also trying to keep his system as low as possible because he is so sensitive. He reacts to vaccines poorly.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:24 PM

your vet can have you give him something prior to the vaccination to help with his reaction (diphenhydramine is common for allergic reactions to vaccines and the vet can give it injectable too).

The RV vaccine is tested/approved to the 3 year limit, period. "They" can call it a 1 year or a 3 year, it's just that all 3 years are "boosters". If I were you, I would be asking the shelter, "WTH?" When you adopted and were told that your new addition was given a 3yr BOOSTER, and the certificate to match, your county should be honoring that.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
your vet can have you give him something prior to the vaccination to help with his reaction (diphenhydramine is common for allergic reactions to vaccines and the vet can give it injectable too).

The RV vaccine is tested/approved to the 3 year limit, period. "They" can call it a 1 year or a 3 year, it's just that all 3 years are "boosters". If I were you, I would be asking the shelter, "WTH?" When you adopted and were told that your new addition was given a 3yr BOOSTER, and the certificate to match, your county should be honoring that.

Ok, That's what I thought. Especially since I sent them a copy of his paperwork from them.
I will be raising hell politely this coming week. I find this almost humorous since we got our dog from the county.

Thank you so much!
Your awesome!

Old 02-23-2008, 06:35 PM

Thanks.
You're welcome.
And Good luck.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:49 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
If you try to fight this you could be fined & they could take Cody so get the shot! Wont hurt anything but your pocket book! And if he bites [even a nip...]they could but him to sleep!

Old 02-23-2008, 08:10 PM

Is that what they do in WV?

Here, dogs are quarantined for 30 days if they bite a human and have NO proof of RV. This dog has a RV certificate - they would not euthanize him for a bite. She could be fined for not being current on her license and be sued by the victim.

Wolves & wolf hybrids are the only "breed" euthanized and the brain sent for analysis, with or without RV, if they bite someone.

Apparently, she already is being fined for an overdue county tag. But she was under the impression that her dog's county tags (as well as the vax) were current based on what the shelter told her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs