Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2016, 06:52 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,723 times

Advertisements

I am getting a bit frustrated and think I have a solution, although I want to see if others have ideas.

I've had my dog for about six months now. When I first got her, there was an adjustment period where I had to figure out her schedule and there were accidents in the house. I didn't worry too much about it and we eventually moved on.

Now, lately, since early last month, she's having accidents in the house again. Pooping to be exact. Usually in the morning. I've been getting up earlier and earlier and taking her for longer and longer morning walks. It doesn't help.

Here's the scoop (if you will pardon the pun).

- I feed her and then take her for a 10-15 minute walk in the morning.
- Sometimes she gets so excited and so "spazzed out" about everything going on (every car that goes by, every other dog she sees, every squirrel that turns over in it's bed and yawns) that sometimes she doesn't go. And walking her longer doesn't seem to help. A longer walk is just more to see.
- Add to this that she doesn't always poop in the morning, so I can't tell if she's just not gone or doesn't need to go.
- If it rains, she just wants to go back to the house... I've tried a raincoat for her. She hates it.
- When we come back in the house, she waits until I am distracted (in the shower, cooking breakfast, to sneak into another room and do her business). I say sneak because for whatever reason she doesn't come to me to let me know she needs to go out like she does in the evening.
- I've caught her in the act of pooping before and usher her outside. But it's too late and she doesn't need to go anymore. Then when we come back in she acts all guilty and slinks all over the place. Of course, I am sure she can tell I am frustrated. Even if I keep my outward cool, inside I am still at my wits end with this.

My idea is to do this. Walk her in the morning like I always do and if she doesn't poop, put her in the backyard during that time I can't watch her in the house (when I am showering, etc). My yard is really small. I don't even have grass (it's all just a deck). But at least it's outside and not in the house. It's not ideal because I don't like that I can't watch her and she will most likely start barking. But it's all I can think of without waking up even earlier for a longer walk (which I have my doubts will help anyway because, as I said, she gets too excited and distracted when walking).

I've also noticed she holds out on evening walks too. She used to go right away and we'd then continue the walk for another few miles. But now she waits until we are almost home. Although at least then, I have the luxury of time and can keep walking until she does her business if she doesn't do it by the time we are home.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 07:53 AM

28 posts, read 32,543 times
Have you tried a crate?

I crate trained my dog and don't have any issues. If she doesn't poop or you can't watch her, put her in the crate and try again later. Heavy praise and treats when she does go outside.

I never feed my dog before the first walk in the morning. He goes pee and poop and then I bring him in and feed him.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:47 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Your dog is enjoying her walk too much and I suspect that you take her in as soon as she does her duty. Instead, find a place where it is OK for her to eliminate and make her stand there until she does her thing. Then, after she relieves herself, she can have her walk.

Start to put her on command. Chose your word and say that as she is doing her thing and praise her when she is finished. Keep at it and it doesn't take long for her to learn to check out the possibility that she needs to relieve herself when she is given the command.

People who are out in public a lot use phrases like "hurry up" as it is less embarrassing to be saying in public. I ask my pups if the need to peepee. Pensive will stop playing and run and pee where I can see her so that she can get her big cuddle and praise for being a good girl. She's 3 1/2 months old. It doesn't take long for them to learn the phrase that gets the praise as long as you are consistent.

I also suggest that if your dog doesn't relieve herself that you crate her when you get back to the house and the dog has to learn that she has only two options: relieve herself outside or stay in the small crate.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:44 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,723 times
We don't used to come back right away, but now she takes so long that we do.

Anyway, she is crate trained. I could put her back in her crate. Maybe I can take her for a shorter "first thing" walk. Then I could crate her while I shower and the take her for another walk afterwards. Thanks!

Oh, and I have an elimination command for her. But it's for both. Maybe I need to make them separate.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:37 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,994,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
We don't used to come back right away, but now she takes so long that we do.

Anyway, she is crate trained. I could put her back in her crate. Maybe I can take her for a shorter "first thing" walk. Then I could crate her while I shower and the take her for another walk afterwards. Thanks!

Oh, and I have an elimination command for her. But it's for both. Maybe I need to make them separate.
Just wanted to mention that with an adult dog it can take more patience and repetition than a young pup needs. At least, in my experience. I do have to wonder, though, do you think your dog maybe has some positive association with where she is pooping? Like "this is a place I know is safe and quiet" kinda thing?

Both of my current dogs were adults when I got them - and both did NOT like going out into rain to do their business. A little over a year later, and the fall rains are here. One has gotten over it, the other has not - so I've stepped back to puppy level training. Right now I have to go out with him and make sure he does his business. Which he then does. If he were any more reluctant, like yours, I would be frustrated, too! Good luck!

Old 10-13-2016, 04:21 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,320 times
Is there any grassy area outside you could set up for her...put a stake in the ground with a long rope, keep her out for 15 more minutes in the morning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs