U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 05:42 PM

1,830 posts, read 4,880,001 times

Advertisements

When my beloved Hobbs, lab mix, is gone, I might want another dog, but not sure which breeds to consider.
I'm 65 and don't want a high energy dog who requires a lot of heavy exercise, not a barker, but one that would be easy to train, and would be very protective of me. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 05:52 PM

512 posts, read 480,803 times
French Mastiff or Italian Mastiff comes to mind.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:02 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,530,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
When my beloved Hobbs, lab mix, is gone, I might want another dog, but not sure which breeds to consider.
I'm 65 and don't want a high energy dog who requires a lot of heavy exercise, not a barker, but one that would be easy to train, and would be very protective of me. Any suggestions?
I found the dog always trains me but a Scottie is nice but there is Grooming lots-oh they want there way so skip that breed- maybe work with a lab rescue and older dog trained who needs a home. the bichon is nice but would kiss the bad guy and needs grooming lots. I love the terrier but they are energy and bark an older one may suit you unless a puppy you wish.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:04 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,824,235 times
an adult Doberman would probably suit you well, they are Velcro dogs, incredibly attuned to their people, they love a good run, but a fenced in yard and plenty of mental stimulation would be fine for a matue dober.
an adult rotty would also be a great choice.

neither have to be "protective" (though most are naturally good judges of when they need to step in) because they LOOK scary enough that most wont een think about crossing ya lol
My dober is the biggest sweetest goofball in the world..but people still cross the street and give us a wide birth when they see us simply because shes a dober.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:44 PM

1,590 posts, read 819,210 times
I would agree about the dobie as a good choice. Labs and lab mixes make great, loving dogs, but often not so good at guarding. Rat terriers and Jack Russells who are pet quality personality (not so needy of activity, a little more laid-back, if you will) are loving, devoted, and great at alerting. Sometimes TOO great.

Oddly enough, the very common square-head, "pit bull" type of mix makes an excellent pet and guard dog, and is way less requiring of extended daily activity. You have to carefully judge the dog's personality, though. 98% of them are great pets. The problem is when that instinct to fight pops up. These days you will find A LOT of "pit mixes" in rescue centers, and all of those rescue centers focus on only adopting dogs who have never shown people aggression. So that type is worth a thought.

If you are going for a breed, rather than a type, then boxers could be good.

If you go to a breeder, there are a lot of breeds where you could find a dog to fit your description. If you go to a breeder, they should be able to pick a pup out of the litter who is most likely to be a good pet. You can tell a lot by watching the first wanderings out of the litter box.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:19 AM

4,044 posts, read 2,621,433 times
Quote:
Most of the breeds that are protective bark. Some more than others of course. An adult (over 3) German shepherd might fit the bill. You just have to find one that is more laid back and you have to be OK with shedding. They love, love, love their owners and most people give them a wide berth.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:50 AM

22,706 posts, read 28,744,369 times
Quote:
........I'm 65 and don't want a high energy dog who requires a lot of heavy exercise, not a barker, but one that would be easy to train, and would be very protective of me. Any suggestions?
You want a dog who is quiet in the house, won't knock you down, will obey you perhaps without a lot of training and will be protective if needed.

I suggest two different breeds for you. The Scottish Deerhound. You can barely tell they are in the house. You can not order them around, but they will comply with polite requests. No one who is sane would attack you when there is an alert 30 inch tall dog by your side, but surprisingly, considering that they are a sight hound, a Deerhound will defend if absolutely pushed to the wall.

The other breed is the Leonberger. Tell the breeder that you do not want a a "turbo-berger" and you will get a dog who is quiet in the house, extremely easy to train, not noisy, although the bark is huge when they occasionally do bark. The Leonberger has very good judgement but will defend family when it is necessary. When a pup, the Leo might possibly knock you down. They are very big and clumsy when young.

Any dog of any breed is going to need exercise, so you are going to have to walk your dog.

If you own your own home, you have more breed options. If you rent, stay away from any breed with a reputation of being protective. No Pitbulls, German Shepherds, Dobermans, Rottweilers, Boxer..... Or you will have problems finding a place to live.,

Old 10-05-2016, 11:28 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,232,400 times
Well, other than the barking thing, a Great Pyrenees is a wonderful breed. They're big beautiful dogs whose size alone would intimidate a would be intruder. They aren't high energy but they do enjoy a good bark. They dig... a lot and can be a little stubborn. They must be either fenced in or leash trained, they will wander if allowed. I'm not sure if at your age I'd get one. I'm 58 and our Pyr, although well mannered, can pull pretty good if he sees something while I'm walking him. They're great dogs though.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:43 AM

226 posts, read 218,485 times
I would suggest adopting a 2-4 year old ABT/ Pitbull or a German Shepard. The Shepard is the ultimate protector IMO.. but they also bark allot and at everything (at least mine did growing up) and will probably need more running time than a ABT!

My ABT rarely barks, not even when there's a knock on the door. But if she hears something while were sleeping, or someone/something makes her uncomfortable.. she's on it- and its growling not barking! She is not aggressive and a huge baby, but her look and build paints the opposite picture.

I also agree with the above poster, oregonwoodsmoke... if you do not own your own home, please don't get a "bully breed"! You will have allot of trouble finding housing.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:36 PM

12,238 posts, read 6,958,901 times
Quote:
When we were ready to adopt a new pet, I've always gone to the shelter or rescue group, spoken with the volunteers or shelter workers, told them my wants in a companion, and asked them which dog in their care they thought would fit my family's needs. The people who walk the dogs and interact with them know their personalities the best. Adopting based on a recommendation from the volunteers or shelter workers has always worked very well for us. We always adopt adult animals.

A breed of dog doesn't mean that particular animal of that breed has the personality you prefer.

Each time we've adopted a dog of a different sex, size, age, and breed with two exceptions. Those two dogs of the same breed were adopted where I volunteered and I knew them both very well. Both were GSD but very, very different personalities!

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-05-2016 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs