Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 01:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

This morning I went to the hospital for a mammogram when a couple walked up. Each one was holding an adorable Papillion in their arms. Then I saw orange vests which said Service Animal or Service Dog. I was in shock. I'm guessing they are comfort dogs wearing vests which are so easy to get off the internet. How could a Papillion be any kind of legit service dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 02:16 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This morning I went to the hospital for a mammogram when a couple walked up. Each one was holding an adorable Papillion in their arms. Then I saw orange vests which said Service Animal or Service Dog. I was in shock. I'm guessing they are comfort dogs wearing vests which are so easy to get off the internet. How could a Papillion be any kind of legit service dog?
I suppose they could be dogs that fetch and carry for a disabled person. Like I said, I suppose. They are very bright dogs and learn quite easily. But, let's get real here, they are probably pets. Yes, they probably do make whomever had them in their arms feel better, pets generally do, that's why people go through the trouble and expense of having them. It is getting just ridiculous, I was at a store yesterday and saw at least three cute little fluffy "service dogs" riding in carts. I keep waiting for the point that the backlash starts, because it will.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:52 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Why not?

It all depends on what role is needed.

Without knowing training, which stimuli responded to when, etc, etc, it's just a big old second guessing game, no?

Old 10-06-2016, 03:10 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
It can be just as calming and relaxing as a bigger dog. There is no breed restriction.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:17 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
From the Papillon Club of America

https://www.papillonclub.org/gen_papillon_service.php

As a former papillon owner (I lost my sweet boy last month), they are brilliant dogs.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:47 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
They're smart. They could easily be seizure alert dogs as well or an alert dog for someone who is deaf. They could be a very convenient service dog in those scenarios because they are so portable and can easily be unnoticed.

But yeah, they're probably pets.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:01 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I know over a dozen hard working Papillon service dogs. They are also excellent as medical alert dogs, which is a type of service dog.

They pick up things that were dropped. They can fetch things as directed, perhaps off of lower shelves.

I know one Papillon who does the laundry, turns lights off and on, helps his owner dress, as well as retrieving things that she can't reach from her wheel chair.

I know at least 5 asthma detection Papillons, one of which has headed off attacks so that his owner no longer ends up in the emergency room, which she used to do several times a year..

One of the asthma detection Papillons is also a cancer detection dog.

One Papillon with an owner with limited sight picks up thngs that she drops becasue she has trouble seeing things on the ground.

Papillons can be diabetic low blood sugar detection dogs or epilepsy detection dogs. They can be trained to dial 911 in an emergency. They are excellent as hearing ear dogs.

Disabled persons are often reduced income and it is beneficial to have a canine help with a small appetite that is light weight to transport.

There are a few jobs where a service dog must be big enough to manhandle the owner, but not many jobs: seeing eye dog, balance dog, wheel chair power source....... can't think of any other job right now where the service dog must be big and heavy.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:19 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
Quote:
That's like asking how a person who gets out of a car s/he drove and walks into the grocery store can have a handicap thing hanging from the rear view mirror.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:46 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
We have had chihuahuas and yorkies in class who were in training to be service dogs. It isn't the size of the dog that matters, but what the owner needs the dog to do for them and whether the dog is capable of performing those tasks.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:10 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,788 times
I think there is a poster in this forum who trained one as a service dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs