Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 01:31 PM

50,068 posts, read 63,428,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Some do just need a safe and dry place, and some love, while they wait for a forever home. If you decide to foster you could let the rescue know what you are realistically willing to do. I have had some nearly perfect pups that I have fostered as well as a few crazy ones. A good rescue knows the foster home and matches charges accordingly. Do keep in mind that dogs often learn from each other. Nearly always, within a few days my fosters would follow my own dogs' example.
Good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 08:06 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,966,472 times
Dogs are very much creatures of the moment. They live in the "now" - so completely.

There are dogs who will bond to one person - and it will be very difficult for them to work with another. Eventually they will, of course. But those dogs are quite rare.

I have two herding dogs who are exceptionally devoted to me. And they would miss me, should we ever part, for maybe a week. It might take months to make the total adaptation, but they would start to settle in to their new surroundings within a week, and I am confident of that. I bring them up as an example, because they are almost as much "one-person" dogs as I've ever known.

They were adult rescues. When they arrived at our house, one acted as though she were on death's bed for about 3 days. And then she got better. The other was not such a dramatist. A year later, and we are as finely in tune as any dogs I've ever had.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:13 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,978,338 times
Don't forget if you foster to get your personal dogs their bordatella shots . That is the only reason I no longer foster is because it just got too expensive to keep getting three dogs bordatella shots .

Old 10-21-2016, 03:45 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,958,779 times
I am not usually able to foster much or long term.... my Davey-Long-Legs is terrified of other dogs.....

BUT, I can bring small dogs/puppies in to the house and he is ok with them..... Having 4, then 5 of my own dogs, plus 2 cats, I never really wanted to foster long-term and would more typically just overnight what I call my "houseguests" until they were ready for the next leg on their journey......

BUT... I have had 2 foster chihuahuas for about 3 months now..... added a 3rd about a month ago.... A friend of mine had her house burn completely down and she lost all four of her dogs, so the rescue I am fostering for now agreed to let her have one of these chis for no adoption fee.... she is a well-known transporter in our community.....

She chose the senior fella that is my foster, but since she works, he needs a friend to hang out with during the day, so she also chose one that the other local foster had.

She is in temporary housing with a no-pets policy while her house is being rebuilt, so I am holding on to her two fellas, along with the original 3rd one..... That little fella I don't think will ever be very adoptable as he is very timid with people..... he still only lets me pet him in the mornings and on his terms.... We are now beginning to work on him letting me hold him without him freezing in my arms.....

I have decided that if he never gets a good application, I will be fine with that as he is a good playmate for my youngest dog.....

It will be hard to see my friend's dogs go when her house is completed, but it is made easier knowing what a FANTASTIC home they will be going to

Old 10-21-2016, 05:48 PM

19,737 posts, read 11,980,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
It will be hard to see my friend's dogs go when her house is completed, but it is made easier knowing what a FANTASTIC home they will be going to.
My amazing rescue group allows the foster parents say over who adopts their foster dogs. One the rescue approves the applicant, the application is forwarded to the foster parents to interview over the phone and set up a meet if it is a good fit. I have been very blessed to have been able to place many of my fosters in amazing homes. It helps to know that the new home can give that pup just what they need. About a quarter of the dogs I have placed, the new owner is still keeping in touch months, years after adoption. A recent foster was challenging as she came in absolutely terrified, she had been found as a stray and her rescuers reported it took forever to catch her. She was a mess when I first got her, made progress but still needed a very safe home with a patient and committed parent. Today I received a lovely email from her new mom, complete with pictures and a 3 month update. My little girl is blossoming and she has greatly enriched her new parents' lives. When it is a great match, both the dog and the families' lives are better for the pairing.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:16 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,978,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascaldascal View Post
I work with a rescue and we always find a foster dog that will be a good fit for your dog as well as your lifestyle. It's not as demanding as you think and the rescue covers all food and expenses so it doesn't cost you anything.
umm yes it does as I stated before you must get your dogs bordatella shots and I don't have the cash to be giving three dogs bordatella and my vet always insisted that we get them especially when fostering and the foster wont pay for you to get your own dogs bordatella shots . If you foster does that's great I have just never seen a foster that paid for much of anything including the food . So a word to the wise be carefull who you foster for as well .

Old 01-02-2017, 04:43 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,105,511 times
I have never fostered but it seems to me that your helping the dog to be better socialized and increasing their chances at being successfully adopted. So, I see it as a very positive thing. And, you might always be able to stay in touch so that your dogs can have playdates and such.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:20 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,443,336 times
I thought my foster puppy was depressed leaving me - she sure seemed like it. Til she got where she was going and hit the ground running. Literally. Running, running, running, running. And this was another foster home, but she ran and ran and ran and ran, having the time of her life until furever home where she is happy as can be.

My friend pointed out that each step was a better life for her. From abandoned to my condo to 'the running place', to a home where she is indoor/outdoor and enjoys the best of both.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:58 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,306,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascaldascal View Post
All reputable rescues will make sure their foster dogs are healthy and have all their vaccinations so Bordetella should not be an issue. I've been working in dog rescue for over 10 years and not only does our rescue pay for everything including veterinary expenses, we also pay our fosters a foster fee to care for our rescue dogs.
@Rascaldascal, Phonelady61 didn't say s/he was providing foster care for a rescue organization. I got the impression s/he is providing kennel services as, like you stated, "all reputable rescue [organizations] will make sure dogs are healthy and [vacinated]...".

When we were providing foster care for a rescue non-profit, the dogs had already been cleared (health wise), evaluated for behavior issues, and all expenses were covered.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:57 AM

454 posts, read 493,009 times
I dunno, my adopted dogs don't appear upset in the least

I think fostering is an amazing thing to do and would encourage anyone to do it. I photograph foster dogs and I just couldn't imagine many of them surviving in a shelter environment or on the streets where many of them came from. You'd be keeping them out of those situations.

I know one foster who will only take dogs for 2-3 months at the most to avoid attachment.

I've never known a rescue to not pay for ALL dog medical/food expenses including Bordatella shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs