Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 07:06 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

Pensive has those super long droopy ears, the kind that get damp infections, so she gets swimmer's ear remedy as a precaution. I'd like to fasten her ears down because I worry she'll get a hemotoma by shaking them hard, trying to get rid of the medicine. I plan to make her a snood.

So I discovered that a skiing head band fits around her neck, so I tried that to hold her ears along her neck. Almost. It held them for about 3 shakes before she got them loose.

I am now in the market for a children's size ski headband. If that works, all I will have to worry about is her beating herself to death with her lips when she gives a hard shake.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 11-01-2016 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 10:30 PM

483 posts, read 418,462 times
Not for my Roman.. I tried.
(Tie ear up thingy)
His breed is known for ear infections.

I tried everything and the only things that works...
It's baby wipes (reach deep to clean) and tons of time dry ear rubbing (air out the eats by playing with the ears).

Roman loves ear rubs.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:58 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Pensive has those super long droopy ears, the kind that get damp infections, so she gets swimmer's ear remedy as a precaution. I'd like to fasten her ears down because I worry she'll get a hemotoma by shaking them hard, trying to get rid of the medicine. I plan to make her a snood.

So I discovered that a skiing head band fits around her neck, so I tried that to hold her ears along her neck. Almost. It held them for about 3 shakes before she got them loose.

I am now in the market for a children's size ski headband. If that works, all I will have to worry about is her beating herself to death with her lips when she gives a hard shake.
Is your dog a basset hound? (Side note: despite my board name, I've never owned a basset.) I've heard that they can be notorious for ear infections.

While I've never owned a dog that is prone to ear infections, I used to have two rabbits who were English logs - aka, the 'basset hound of the bunny world'. This breed is well known for ear infections, and pretty severe ones that can kill - because the ear canal is relatively short and is so close to the brain, and the weight of the ears alone put pressure on the inner ear - so I had to be vigilant with keeping their ears dry and clean. Ironically, both rabbits wound up becoming disabled as they matured, which meant that they could no longer clean their own ears....so making sure their ear canals weren't susceptible to infection became of utmost importance.

With my rabbits, I basically just kept vigil on their ears by checking them regularly, clearing the ear canal of excess wax and making sure the canal was as dry as possible. I'm not sure if this would be the same procedure with dogs, but...just thought I'd share anyway...

Old 11-02-2016, 03:09 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,525 times
My French Bulldog suffered an aural hematoma last fall and the surgical repair left his beautiful, magnificent ear, droopy/folded over. The breeds large stand up bat like ears are one of their many trademarks...I was heartbroken. Fast forward 5 months...another hematoma on the other ear. This time a less invasive surgical repair worked and the ear stands.

Sorry for TMI...but...the ear/head dressings were so restrictive and uncomfortable for him, I started researching and found this wonderful thing. Even after surgery while still wearing minimal dressings, his head shaking could start another bleed. This was a godsend. I ordered the breathable fabric...living in the desert it was important this not make Wolfgang hot.

https://www.noflapearwrap.com/

It's a wonderful company to work with...the wrap is easy on/off, washable and adjustable. I'd probably fold your pups ears up rather than down but either way would work. I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs