U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 10:09 AM

22,521 posts, read 28,429,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmeralda95 View Post
hi Gouligann she is not on a leash this is in our yard that she ate the bird she seems fine just very full of energy and she is a loving dog.
do i need to put het on the leash in the yard as well ?..........
If the yard is fenced you do not need to leash her inside the yard, but you need to police the area every day and remove anything that she might eat. It's like baby proofing a house when you bring a young child into the house. Everything potentially harmful must be put out of reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 03:03 PM

16,568 posts, read 14,010,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmeralda95 View Post
good day

my 15 week puppy eats everything she just ate a bird with out swallowing it i was to late to get it out of her mouth what can i do so that she doesn't eat everything

please help me
3% hydrogen peroxide should come with every puppy. Give them 10mL per 10lbs and if they don't vomit in ten minutes repeat.

Making them puke can literally save their lives.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:07 AM

4,582 posts, read 5,006,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
You may want to start teaching her "leave it" command. You don't want to have to go through an expensive exploratory surgery if she swallows something that could cause blockage. Surgery is not always successful. Good luck with your pup!
This is one of the best commands to teach!! I even use it when walking my lab. She thought she needed to greet every person we passed. I started telling her Leave it when we would get near someone. Sometimes they would give me a funny look but Bella understood.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:37 PM

1,465 posts, read 887,279 times
My dog still wants to eat almost everything; and he's nine years old (dead animals, live birds, cheese from my refrigerator, pens and pencils at least to chew, etc.; and if the food or snacks are in someone's purse/bag my dog will stick his nose in and try to find and grab it. My last dog enjoyed her food, but didn't care about other edible stuff; she was too focussed on The Ball. All dogs are different.

As Shadowne said; teaching your pup the "leave it" command would be a very good idea. When she's in the yard, can you be out there with her to supervise? Maybe you can try working on obedience, teaching her to bring you things instead of eating them.

I hope you don't have any toxic plants in the yard; or, if so, that she doesn't want to eat them as well.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:03 PM

36,474 posts, read 43,574,205 times
Teddy is now 11 months old. this is just a partial list of what he has eaten in the 3 months we've had him:

1.two table legs-he is just resting in his bed and absentmindedly chewed on two legs
2. kleenex- he likes to pull them out of the box one after the other and he goes in my purse to get them out
3. a ball point pen I didn't realize I left on the (carpeted) bedroom floor. We've lived in this house 10 years and the carpet looks remarkably clean until this.
4. the wooden handle on his dog brush
5. a plastic comb
6. paper towels
7. cat poop in the litter tray-had to get a baby gate to stop that
8. the corner of a very nice display cabinet
9. the plastic handles on a gift bag
10. A huge hole in our sheet-he actually used to nurse and chewed it right up
11. and the worse thing possible--one of my hearing aids

We took him to dog school but he got sick every week on the treats even when we took good cheese or beef hot dogs or other dog treats.

We bought some bitter stuff to spray on the furniture legs which seems to be working and we have learned to not let anything be on the floor or where he can reach it. I've had other puppies who never ate anything.'We finally found some kind of *** milk chews for him which he really likes. Just hoping we all make it till he outgrows this.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:10 AM

5 posts, read 3,144 times
thank you to everyone's advice she is doing better now and will smell thing and run away. We did the leave it training and so far it looks good i love my lilo to bits and dont want to loose her. We did take her to the vet and they said she will be fine.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:28 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,530,030 times
I have raised over 100 puppies in the last two years. My puppies do not eat things at all. They have free run of a 300 by 70 dog yard and there are lots of things they could eat but don't. I feed a raw meaty bone diet and provide a lot of different kinds and types of bones for them to chew. This diet and the chews satisfy their need to eat things. My dogs are standard Poodles and the breed is not very food oriented. I'm sure it would be a different story with labs for instance. I call those breeds that love to eat, "food hounds". LOL. I have homestayed many "food hounds" that will eat whatever they can. There is nothing in my yard they could eat that would hurt them. The cats often leave mice, rats or rabbits which get eaten by the dogs. It does not concern me in the least. WE add Diatomaceous earth - to all the dog's food every day. This additive is extremely effective at eliminating and preventing ANY parasites in the GI system. We check all of our dogs for worms twice per year and have never had a single case while using the DE.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:06 AM

36,474 posts, read 43,574,205 times
need to add something new to Teddy's list. We found him eating the strings on my daughter's violin bow! I hate to think what that would have done to his GI tract had he actually ingested some of it. He may have but he hasn't shown any signs of illness and it was 2 days ago.

We have to be extra diligent about keeping things out of his reach. I hope this is just a puppy phase and he outgrows it.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:09 AM

13,355 posts, read 7,345,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
need to add something new to Teddy's list. We found him eating the strings on my daughter's violin bow! I hate to think what that would have done to his GI tract had he actually ingested some of it. He may have but he hasn't shown any signs of illness and it was 2 days ago.

We have to be extra diligent about keeping things out of his reach. I hope this is just a puppy phase and he outgrows it.
Yes, the string especially could/would be deadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs