U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 02:02 PM

5,709 posts, read 4,132,877 times

Advertisements

If she's on a mission to the door to do her business, then she trots along beside us, but if we're just walking across the floor to go into the kitchen or wherever, she is relentless to want to hold onto our feet with her teeth.

She is a toy breed dog and only weighs about 1 1/2 pounds so we can't just keep walking or she'll fly off and hit something. I know having a dangly toy in our hands to distract her would help, but we don't always have a toy handy.

Suggestions welcomed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 02:16 PM
ZSP

1,568 posts, read 4,160,864 times
Patience...and knowing this will pass as your pup matures but for now she's a puppy and doing what puppies do.

It's been 12+ years ago but I remember well my Boston Terrier pup doing the same thing...grabbing my socks and/or my long nightgown as I walked down the hall. She also loved grabbing the dish towel off the kitchen counter and running like mad as if she'd stolen the best thing in the house. LOL

Puppies are so much fun and now that my pups are 8, 11 and 12, I really miss all the antics.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
Patience...and knowing this will pass as your pup matures but for now she's a puppy and doing what puppies do.

It's been 12+ years ago but I remember well my Boston Terrier pup doing the same thing...grabbing my socks and/or my long nightgown as I walked down the hall. She also loved grabbing the dish towel off the kitchen counter and running like mad as if she'd stolen the best thing in the house. LOL

Puppies are so much fun and now that my pups are 8, 11 and 12, I really miss all the antics.
Thanks ZSP, you gave me a laugh about the dish towel! I know, they are so sweet in the naughty things they do when they are tiny.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:02 PM

2,143 posts, read 1,313,751 times
Gently shake her off your foot. Then stamp your foot loudly and say NO

Old 11-03-2016, 10:09 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,863,883 times
NO, repeated as necessary until behavior stops!

Old 11-03-2016, 10:16 PM

12,396 posts, read 31,375,749 times
I wouldn't say NO its Over used just say LEAVE IT In firm voice. And unless you planning a trip to the vet DONT STOMP STAMP or Raise your foot! These little dogs can get under your foot Quick! & you may end up Breaking a paw....

Old 11-04-2016, 02:24 AM

28 posts, read 12,886 times
This behavior is very common among puppies. My pet dog used to tear my shoes and grab my jeans when I walked. It is normal for them. So, don't worry, it will pass once they become an adult.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:44 PM

246 posts, read 225,562 times
A lot of our dogs have done that and our current collie (19 months) still does it. A firm leave it and distraction usually get her to stop.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:18 AM

1,403 posts, read 841,946 times
I'd suggest putting a leash on your dog a few times while indoors; the moment she goes for your feet, correct her with a (gentle, given her size, but firm enough to correct her) leash check along with a solid "NO" (not shouting) command. She needs to be taught that her action is unacceptable, and the only way she can learn this is with your directing her. Don't ignore and expect her to outgrow the action, as many dogs won't...and it may only escalate, given the chance.

I also wouldn't recommend the 'stomp your foot loudly' suggestion, as this can wind up terrifying your dog. You don't want to teach her using fear-based methods; just a timely and firm command will do. Try to catch her in the act as she goes for your feet, but before she actually makes contact...the moment she is in the mindset is when to correct.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:33 AM

I agree with Katie1 about the word No and stomping the feet. She's too close to stomp and I'll save no for when I really need it, otherwise they become so used to the word that they ignore it or don't know what it means because you've said it under so many circumstances.

I'll just try to discourage the behaviour as best I can until she outgrows it.

Thanks for all your replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs