U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:20 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,771,427 times

Advertisements

i read this insanely long post yesterday morning and had a reply all typed out ..... then LOST it.... arrrgghhh .....in any case, although it IS shame that your daughter was injured.... and i say that with all sincerity..... groar is correct ...... the same injury could have happened with ANY breed puppy.... pit bulls do not "lock" their jaws.... another one of those urban myths..... also, a 5-week old puppy is not even old enough to be away from its mother yet..... no way is it old enough to be displaying aggression......thirdly, even those poor pit bulls that are forced and tortured into the fighting arena are not human aggressive.... they are dog aggressive.... if they were human aggressive, then their handlers would not be able to control them......pit bulls are not inherently more aggressive than other breeds..... they have been abused and media sensationalized to the point though that people fall for those myths..... such a shame, really.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 03:46 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,643,727 times
I'm an accountant who's specialty before I retired was justifying numbers in an international business setting. I can tell you from years of experience that statistics can easily be skewed and manipulated to show any percentage you want; for any stance you believe; on any debate topic picked. Want me to put together a report that shows statistically that 90% of the poodles (or Basset Hounds, or Labradors...you pick the breed) in the US have temperament issues that will lead to a serious injury 68% of the time? Not a problem! Then you could run a huge headline that stated "POODLES RESPONSIBLE FOR 68% OF SERIOUS INJURIES!" and you could quote my report as the source. I would mystify with the detail of the drill down data and list (in very small and numerous footnotes) sources that are respected, recognized and well known. What you wouldn't know is that all of it would be subjective and based on my personal interpretation of the data as it is presented. So what does all this mean? Manipulation - plain and simple. The media grabs onto bits of data or parts of non-objective reports and statistics and displays it for all to see in big bold letters as if it was the truth. Ladies and gentlemen - do not be fooled. Its NOT the truth - it can only be realistically labeled as a "mass hysterical opinion". Just like German Shepherds, Dobermans, Rottweilers and Chows before them; Pitbulls and in fact a lot of other bully breeds are now the "evil dog that is genetically wired to kill". Anyone want to take bets on which breed will be pegged next and vilified in the media? OK - I'm off my soapbox now

Old 03-12-2010, 08:04 PM

124 posts, read 219,171 times
Default spin doctors

I read quite a few and I agree.. media seems to target the pit attacks with sensationalism and the other bites as o it happens.. I live in phoenix .. dont have a link but a female and male officer either correctional or police had a chow chow killed there infant.. horrible story.. not much was made of the dog or national news to my knowledge..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or