U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:06 PM

1,177 posts, read 8,081,063 times

Advertisements

So we've had the "pit bull debates" but this is something different. For a different topic why is it that the media focuses negatively on Pit Bulls or even if not negatively why is it that they focus so much on Pit Bull attacks but not so much on other attacks?

To me this seems to have damaged their reputation more in the eyes of the general public. A lot of people think they are not influenced by the media but I'd think we are somewhat influenced by the news along with many other things in daily life. I do realize some people have had their own personal negative experiences with them and I respect that. They have a good reason for being cautious, fearful or even to dislike them. On the other hand the majority of the people I've known to not like them haven't had such experience, some have never even met a Pit Bull (that they know of at least). So they must be getting a negative idea of them somewhere? They are not just born thinking that a certain breed is dangerous.

I know some people say because it "sells well" drama, fear, sensationalism, its all to catch attention, score ratings or readers no matter the topic. They tend to report a lot of "bad" things even unrelated to dogs they know it will attract attention. Thinking about that though wouldn't any dog attack be like that? They are bad, its drama, ect no matter the breed. Others say because Pit Bulls are usually the ones who attack so thats why you hear about it more. From some studies done thats just not true, the ones by other breeds either are not reported or don't get national coverage. So why so much focus on a specific breed? This is important to me since I have APBTs, but I don't want this to be something for APBT owners only or for us to debate about a certain breed. I'm really wondering reasoning behind media reporting.

In the town where I lived a Rottweiler attacked and almost killed someone. The dog was put down, small town so news spread. I also already knew the dogs and kind of knew the owners. This wasn't reported. Yet a Pit Bull attack from almost 2hrs away was reported in our paper.

The National Canine Research Council has also gathered some interesting information. This involved 4 attacks by 4 different breeds, 4 days in a row.

8-18-2007
A Lab mixed attacked a 70yr old man and put him in critical condition.
This was reported once and in the local paper.

8-19-2007
A "mixed breed" killed a 16 month old by delivering fatal head and neck injuries. This was reported twice and in the local paper.

8-20-2007
A medium sized "mixed breed" inflicted severe bite wounds to a 6yr old and also tore the child's ear off. This was reported once and in the local newspaper.

8-21-2007
Two Pit Bulls attacked a 59yr old woman inflicting serious injury. This was reported in over 230 articles in national and international newspapers and also on major news station (CNN, MSNC and FOX).

Why did the Pit Bull attack attract so much attention? Even more attention then a fatal attack. I just don't understand it. People assume that Pit Bulls attack more since you hear about them but it seems we hear about them because of what the media choses to report. Many other bites if they make the news at all it seems to be locally, not gaining a lot of coverage. Some are not breed specific, I've noticed that a lot. In several reports, especially on the radio when I'm listening in the car. If its a Pit attack it states Pit Bull attack, but several other attacks they say "dog bite" or such and such was "attacked by a dog" no breed.

There also seems to be a bit of "trickery" one report said "Pit Bull Shot, Police Attacked At Party" I'd think anyone seeing the headline would assume a Pit Bull attacked an officer who was breaking up a party or something so they shot the dog. But the actual event an officer was attacked by a beer bottle when breaking up a fight. The Pit Bull didn't attack or harm the officers.

I'm really stuck trying to figure this one out. Whats the reasoning, how to make sense of it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 11:19 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,455,749 times
It's the media. Their life blood is the scape goat. Unfortunately, in the realm of dog attacks, the scape goat is the pit.

There's no way to rationalize this, because it's NOT rational. It's what sells papers.

Personally, I'm wary of ANY dog that has teeth. But, then again, I grew up in a house with akitas, and the only time I was bitten was by a dachshund.

I hear what you are saying here. But, honestly, the pit has a bad rep with the papers, and unfortunately, lots of people don't engage their brain when reading reports.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times
The media loves to stir. Its not just with dogs. Its with everything.

When I went to a Football (Soccer) game in Denmark I came home to find that a newspaper had reported riots in the streets of Kobenhavn (Copenhagen) between us and Danish football fans. There was a full page with "details" and everything. The only thing that was lacking in the story was facts. It took the Danish Police and Football Association to release statements that there was no trouble, and we were basically ideal football fans for them to write a one line retraction months later.

You get the same thing with Mexicans. Because immigration is a hot topic its almost as if the media puts out that Mexicans are the only source of the problem because it suits the media to stir up tension. IMHO there is really no such thing as "reporters" anymore in the media. What we do have is lots of novelists writing whatever they want because the media has the right to print what they want.

Pitbulls are the media "darlings" regardin their storys, they sell papers. When the public (in a few years) gets bored the media will move onto the next breed or type of dog.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:43 PM

31 posts, read 84,605 times
"what" mix were the mixed breed dogs that attacked?? A renter once told me his dog was a lab mix. When he showed up with his dog to move in, it became apparent the dog was clearly mixed with pit bull. In fact, he appeared to be more pit than lab.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:32 PM

253 posts, read 966,805 times
The media can only thrive on sensationalism, so why would this kind of reporting shock us? The also prefer only BAD news, do you think they would report something like,,,,"Loose pit bull licked 3 children". NOOOOOO
They want to see some blood and torn flesh, and it MUST be a pit cuz we all knows they's the only dawgs that bite,,,right.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 9,366 times
2 mixed breed dogs (no Pit whatsoever) jumped through their screen and killed a 12 year olds Maltese dog right in front of her. A.C., and the police were called to get the dogs. I called the local news and told them 2 Pit

Old 08-01-2009, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 9,366 times
Bulls killed a dog. They were there within 15 minutes to do a story. When they found out Pit Bulls were not involved, they WOULD NOT do the story. Tell me that aint some bull!

Old 08-01-2009, 09:22 AM

1,688 posts, read 6,908,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Whats the reasoning, how to make sense of it all.
Reasoning = profit, increased circulation or kudos for breaking the most "interesting" story of the day or acting as the town cryer.

Trying to make sense of it all = don't bother, you can't because sense doesn't enter into it. The only "sense" that enters into it is "sensationalism".

Fact of the matter is that if people actually ignored the stories, they'd go away. Non-news doesn't sell.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:24 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,119 posts, read 7,566,642 times
UNfortunatley for the responsible PitBull lovers out there, the Thugs and dregs of our society have decided to make your dog thier mascot...90% of the dogs seen on the streets with gang bangers are Pits with a chain around it's neck, they want a mean aggressive dog, and the Media sensationalizes it...

Old 08-01-2009, 10:24 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,222,322 times
The News Media in today's society just about ruins everything it touches on!

Example...off topic but....Joe Jackson! The man is old, stop bashing him and leave him alone. He just lost his son! Whatever happened in the past let it go! The New Media will never let anything go!

Back to the dogs, they ruined the PitBull breed and will always continue to do it!
I say there has to be more control over what is reported. What is news worthy and what is not!

Just my 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or